1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Imo, your statement is taking what the document says out of context.

Ford does not want you to ground the aftermarket body, like an ambulance body, to the trans. This does not mean that you cannot run a ground strap from the engine to the transmission.

Regardless, the engine block is grounded to the frame, and the trans is bolted to the block. All you are doing is improving the ground path by providing a wire instead of bolts.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,624 Posts

Ford does not want you to ground the aftermarket body, like an ambulance body, to the trans. This does not mean that you cannot run a ground strap from the engine to the transmission.

Regardless, the engine block is grounded to the frame, and the trans is bolted to the block. All you are doing is improving the ground path by providing a wire instead of bolts.
https://fordbbas.com/home

·
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Edit (again) - since this is a body builders document and a guide to interfacing w/ the Ford electrical system, I see your point regarding the document.

I still think there is a common theme that improving the ground circuit from the body or frame to the transmission is not necessary or desirable (and I have seen it recommended several times). No electricity is intended to flow through the transmission in the first place.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Their statement was simply "don't ground the body to the transmission". They didn't mention an "aftermarket body".

I posted the content as they wrote it.
The document is intended for aftermarket body installers. You cant read stuff out of context.

In addition the document does not say I cannot ground the transmission to the frame or the engine.

·
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I see your point on the document's intent - I edited the previous post earlier. The document is entitled General Electrical Practices, but it is included in the Body Builders Advisory Service.

Out of original context or not ..... Since they are saying that you shouldn't ground a second body unit to the transmission, (IMO) they are saying that they want a better grounding location/path. Clearly they don't say that improving the grounding to the existing transmission is a recommended option. I just don't think that (transmission to frame) grounding path is helpful (as some suggest), and certainly not necessary.

·
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol - Not the first time to read more into something than intended!

·
Administrator
21,624 Posts
At the end of the day, you do not have to add grounds to YOUR trans. :lol2:

But most 6.0s on the road have corroded and failing grounds, they could use all the help they can get.

·
Old School
258 Posts
Not only is the trans grounded to the frame through the motor, but it is also grounded through the transfer case, driveshafts, rear axle, etc...

·
Registered
905 Posts
I don't see it that way. All those items transmission back are insolated by rubber bushings.

I'm in the camp that no grounds to the transmission. Body to frame, the engine to the frame is fine. The frame is used as the conduit for rear area grounds. All electronic controls for the transmission are wired back to the firewall connection. There's no need for the trans case to have a major ground.

At the end of the day, you do not have to add grounds to YOUR trans. :lol2:

But most 6.0s on the road have corroded and failing grounds, they could use all the help they can get.
:thumb:

·
Old School
258 Posts
Transfer case to front axle, pitman arm to frame...

·
Registered
905 Posts
The modern ball joints and tie rod ends should be isolated by the polymer liners. When I was at Moog’s R& D center they had displays of everyone’s ball joints and parts, the head of the department was real proud of being the last company to have sintered metal bearing shells. I don’t think they still use them, but even so, Moog’s did not come on our trucks.

This is getting whacked. My point is the trans should not be a pathway for electron flow. Any one who wants to, no law against it.

Attachments

·
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Not meaning to continue to stir the pot, but my question now is - Why would Ford say to avoid using the transmission as a ground for a "body builder's project"?

If it is a perfectly good grounding path, then why not ground to it from the factory (AS WELL AS when modifying)? If it is intended to be part of the grounding system, then why not ground an aftermarket body to it?

The answer to these questions would probably resolve this "difference in opinions".

The discussion probably will benefit no-one, but I like to know the reasons why (and partly because I think that Bill at PowerStrokeHelp.com greatly exaggerated the issue).

So far in this thread I have seen nothing explaining what might be benefited.

As far as the normal factory grounds go, I TOTALLY agree that many trucks are in poor shape by now (and are in need of "help" as stated above). As far as mine go, they are in great shape. Partially because of where I live and partially because I pay attention to them.

Far more important (IMO anyway) to keep those factory grounds fully functional than adding an additional ground in a non-typical (or unnecessary) location.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
The point of grounding the transmission and engine to the frame is so the electric will flow through the ground straps and not the transmission itself.

Reactions: PrecisionEngine

·
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The point of grounding the transmission and engine to the frame is so the electric will flow through the ground straps and not the transmission itself.
I don't have a grounding strap on my 6.0L transmission, haven't ever seemed to need one ...

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
I don't have a grounding strap on my 6.0L transmission, haven't seemed to need one ...
If your factory ground straps are still in good shape that's fine. Around here they get corroded and don't make a good connection or they fall apart compleley. When that happens all the current starts flowing through the transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, axles, then back to the frame, that is what you don't want to happen, and why having extra ground paths from the engine and/or transmission to the frame is a good idea.

·
Registered
905 Posts
You're going to have to explain to me how you add a grounding strap to the transmission and not make the transmission a pathway.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
You're going to have to explain to me how you add a grounding strap to the transmission and not make the transmission a pathway.
Read my last post. #17

·
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Why not just fix the ones you have or add more grounds from frame to body or frame to block like you have now?

Again, I am not trying to be difficult but when a frame to block ground fails, or a block to body ground dails, why is a transmission to frame ground the best choice (or even a consideration)?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts