Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys. just got the letter in the mail saying i am coming up on my warranty coverage. they are trying to sell me the esp plans that they offer. im not sure what to do as the most basic 2 years or 40000kms. i will never use the kilometers but am trying to weigh out the cost of doing headstuds and gaskets myself, if they were ever to go. i am writing to ask if there is something else out there besides this or.....
the basic plan is going to be $1700 from one dealer and 2600 from another. can they charge differently like that? anyone from a dealer on here answer that?
im thinking i need more options if there is any and what have you guys done knowing full well that the headgaskets could go or the egr cooler. i can do all the work myself but that would not help me out on the road pulling my camper while on holidays. i was so wrapped up in my little warrany bubble that i never gave much thought about when my warranty ran out.
crap, now i am making myself nervous!!!:doh:
thanks
clarence

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, after much discussion with the wife, we have decided to do headstuds and egr delete on our own account. i will do the job in my driveway with the help of some friends and beer!!
i want to do the studs, egr delete, and possibly a 3.5" downpipe to my stock exhaust size. i have no cat and no muffler as it is now.
what i need to know is what else should i do while i am at this point that is not too crazy in price as we will be putting enough in it as it is. i plan on making the egr delete myself so a little cheaper there. also for those that have done the studs with the cab on, please chime in as to any things to look for during the job.
i did a search on here already for headstud jobs but as you may know, it turns up ALOT of stuff and i cant find what i am looking for in the way of a list of stuff i need to do this undertaking. i know that i need the studs, and a top end gasket kit from ford and i plan on going with the stock gaskets. i guess i will need a programmer now as the egr would be gone.
i am very mechanically inclined as that is what i do for a living but never worked on a diesel other than normal maintenance so any help in this direction is GREATLY appreciated.
sorry for the long post and i hope to start this project in the beginning of may before camper pulling season. and i will take pics of it as we go along with the egr delete.
please help!!
clarence

1 - 2 of 2 Posts