Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...by adding gold coolant to my reservoir. Only problem is I've got red Finalcharge in the system. Called this am to confirm; he only added a cup or so as the bottle wasn't that low (which I knew). I know, I know, its my own fault for forgetting to tell them or putting a sticker on the bottle, but...am I in trouble with this? I do have the filter on it. Thanks for your help!

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
And he didnt notice the difference in colors? What in the H**L was the point in only adding a cup? You'll most likely be fine. I would do a drain a fill, or make them do a drain and fill for their lack of attention.

·
Administrator
30,596 Posts
i can't see making them do anything for free ? it wasn't marked and with the cloudy degas bottles you can't see the fluid color

the degas should be labeled like the OP stated ( i cut out the CAT ELC section off of one of the empty coolant bottles and have it affixed to the degas on mine
but even a sharpie can save the day ( or do your own work;-)

i wouldn't worry about a cup or two specially since it was not the concentrate

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you were just adding a cup or two. Why not just add water?

·
Registered
178 Posts
You know what? I'm glad y'all said something about a label though. I going out to label mine right now. Hope he was being truthful about adding only a cup.

·
Administrator
30,596 Posts
If you were just adding a cup or two. Why not just add water?
why add water when you should add coolant ? the tech was doing it by the book now if he was unsure about it yes distilled water would have been a safe choice but honestly how may guys swap to ELC
this may not be familiar to him ? my 2 cents

good job on the thread though it will remind folks to mark the degas just like you should mark the OBD if you don't want a re flash

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yea, your probably right. Didn't think about him adding 50/50. The OP just said "coolant". I over react sometimes, especially when it come to somebody messin' with another man's vehicle.:dunno:

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP here. Thanks for the input guys. Kinda thought it shouldn't be a problem, but wanted to know what others thought. Didn't even think about it, as I took the truck for some tire work, but they caught it on their safety check. Guess that's a good thing. I knew it couldn't have been much, as I keep a pretty good eye on it. It is labeled now though. Thanks again!

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
Great! I guess I gotta go put label On my Degas bottle in the off chance that some :tard: gets his hands on my chit. Nevermind all the labels I've got under there already stating service intervals and fluid types:doh:(if you think I'm joking, I'll take a pic)

·
Administrator
30,596 Posts
i have the same like label that there is a PS filter

and the tranny has an 08 filter inside the pan and chit like that

figure i might get old ad forget LOL but no one works on my stuff

i guess i just do it for the next owner if I ever sell

·
Registered
202 Posts
I like that sept I don't plan on selling mine -- EVER
knock on wood.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same thing happened to me last month at my mechanic. They knew it was ELC, I think maybe one of their new guys wasn't paying attention and refilled it with Gold.

I nearly shat a brick when I popped my coolant filter and discovered it totally gelled up. In 2+ years of running ELC it only ever collected sand. 1 month of Gold/ELC mix was enough for damage to occur.

Not trying to scare you, but depending on how much they "topped up" this could be a problem. I'm demanding they do a full flush with Restore, and saying a prayer for the oil cooler.

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
I think you're joking.
Damnit! I wish I would have seen this earlier while I was out cleaning up the last nights snow... I would have bothered to clean the truck offand get your pictures

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, when you sell it and the buyer asks for maintenance records at least they'll be handy.:nod:

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
I was thinking about selling a little while ago, but the thought... It's paid for, and Ive got so much invested, I'd lose my *** on it. Hence why I'm finally going the full nine and studding it. Bought the wife a Tahoe instead

1 - 20 of 43 Posts