Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
this is the cable that i have:
OHP ELMconfig cable from AMAZON (i'm not able to post links or pictures yet, sorry). it states that it is for ForScan and FORD,MAZDA and ect.

it works in my little 97 ranger but doesn't get past the connect screen when hooked up to my 2000 F250 7.3. is there an update to the ELM OBDII cable or do i have to try and by another damn cable?

thanks in advance

jim
WELL WELL WELL!!! Here's the result of my issue. it wasn't the damn cable. the OBDII won't work if the fuse is blown. found that out the hard way. plugged in the new cable and still NO COMMS. HMMM ok read a few things before hand and went straight to the fuse panel and what do you know; bad fuse.

changed out the fuse and all three OBDII adapters worked and yes one is even a bluetooth. have some codes but will post them where they need to be.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Anybody find the same apps for an iPhone? I looked on their app store and didn't see the same ones listed as for the androids. Pissed me off to find that my $150 fairly-capable, newer OBD scanner won't connect with my truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having trouble finding a good scanner that's not to expensive. Bought an ELM327 for torque pro app and bought torque pro app also but my 99.5 F350 7.3 CCLB isn't OBDII compliant. Most of these Bluetooth devices work on F250 trucks but not the F350. Everything connects with that set up except the PCM will connect and the disconnect after about 30 seconds. Any advice on a system that works would be much appreciated. Was thinking about looking into the AE.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Alright, got a used Android phone and the BAFX 34t5 adapter. Do you guys get Coolant temp readings in TorquePro? Mine read -40 the whole time I drove it tonight, with a fully warmed engine.

Could only get max boost to 15psi, seems low to me.

HPOP had a max reading of 2,300psi.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Most 7.3's can't read coolant temp. Just use oil temp.

·
Registered
364 Posts
OK, so I'm looking to step in to the scan tool arena and have a couple questions.....

I already have an android tablet that I want to use exclusively for scan/test/reading codes, etc.
I plan to get an OBDlink
I have an Edge CTS2 for monitoring

This sticky starts out with this statement :

-PC Based Diagnosis Testing and monitoring with Forscan
-Android Based Diagnosis with Forscan Lite
-Android based Monitoring with Torque Pro
-Android based Self Tests with CarGauge Pro

Now my question.....

If I go with a PC and Forscan , does this mean I can do diagnosis/monitoring/testing with just the one program ?

If I go Android , do I need all three above programs to accomplish the same thing ?

Does the Torque pro monitor MORE than my Edge CTS2 ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
887 Posts
OK, so I'm looking to step in to the scan tool arena and have a couple questions.....

I already have an android tablet that I want to use exclusively for scan/test/reading codes, etc.
I plan to get an OBDlink

Now my question.....

If I go with a PC and Forscan , does this mean I can do diagnosis/monitoring/testing with just the one program ?

If I go Android , do I need all three above programs to accomplish the same thing ?

Thanks in advance
I have not used Forscan. I use Torque and Car Gauge. I prefer the portability of a tablet or phone.

Reactions: oilcan1001

·
Registered
460 Posts

I plan to get an OBDlink

Now my question.....

Thanks in advance
Not sure if you figured it out but you dont need all 3, I just use torque and it does everything I want. Havent tried the other 2, but I dont think you would need all 3. Not sure how much you can monitor vs your Edge, but I think torque monitors anything the PCM can read. My understanding anyway.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I got my OBDLink and cargauge pro so I could do some tests.
Also looks like it shows a lot more than the CTS2.

Probably will get the Torque pro also just for user friendliness.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yea, just from reading here and my limited experience with Torque, an Edge CTS won't read the HPOP pressure but Torque will. Either Car Gauge of Forscan is needed if you want to do tests like an injector buzz test. The apps are cheap or free, I plan on getting Car Gauge and Forscan eventually.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I got my OBDLink and cargauge pro so I could do some tests.
Also looks like it shows a lot more than the CTS2.

Probably will get the Torque pro also just for user friendliness.
Very cool! It is a nice setup right? I want to get a new double din pretty quick and will be going with an Android double din so I can run these apps on the stereo!!

Yea, just from reading here and my limited experience with Torque, an Edge CTS won't read the HPOP pressure but Torque will. Either Car Gauge of Forscan is needed if you want to do tests like an injector buzz test. The apps are cheap or free, I plan on getting Car Gauge and Forscan eventually.
So Cargauge/forscan do buzz tests?????

·
Registered
189 Posts
Very cool! It is a nice setup right? I want to get a new double din pretty quick and will be going with an Android double din so I can run these apps on the stereo!!

So Cargauge/forscan do buzz tests?????
Oh man, never thought of that with the stereo, wouldn't that be sweet!

Well I only have Torque right now, but I swear I've read here that one of the apps can do buzz tests. Maybe even cylinder contribution tests?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Oh man, never thought of that with the stereo, wouldn't that be sweet!

Well I only have Torque right now, but I swear I've read here that one of the apps can do buzz tests. Maybe even cylinder contribution tests?
Ya it would be way too cool, plus all the other benefits. Unfortunately they are a little more pricey than a standard double din (not all cases, obviously there are some double dins that are $$$$ that are not android) but I think i have settled on one that is about $240. Not the worst, but still hurts:grin::grin:

I only have Torque as well, that is why I was asking. That would be cool. I briefly read over Forscan app and didn't see anything about doing those kind of tests, just data reading but didn't look too deep. Wouldn't that be something. If so I will definitely be grabbing them!

Anyone else know about apps that can do buzz or contribution tests??

·
Registered
364 Posts
Anyone else know about apps that can do buzz or contribution tests??
Carguage does the buzz and contribution tests, that is why I bought it (pro version). It's only like 5-10 bucks so worth it to get pro.

IIRC, Forscan needs a laptop, but will do everything.

I have a cheap, android tablet that was not being used anymore so now its dedicated to "my trucks health"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since torque pro is no longer on the iOS market (some imitator called Torque OBD2 is there now), what’s the Apple go to app? What obd2 link have people had luck with using newer apple products?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Carguage does the buzz and contribution tests, that is why I bought it (pro version). It's only like 5-10 bucks so worth it to get pro.

IIRC, Forscan needs a laptop, but will do everything.

I have a cheap, android tablet that was not being used anymore so now its dedicated to "my trucks health"
Awesome! I am going to have to check that out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quick question. Will this device and software, program devices? Can I use it to adjust and reprogram PCM, or GEM? Like using the VCM2 device from Mazda, rotunda, ford.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't think so. I believe they just monitor, and the one can do a few other things like cyl contribution test and buzz test.
Quick question. Will this device and software, program devices? Can I use it to adjust and reprogram PCM, or GEM? Like using the VCM2 device from Mazda, rotunda, ford.
Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 111 Posts