Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a previous customer in here a few minutes ago, He has a 05 5.9 Fat bottom 4x4 w 4:10's He gets 15 hwy w/ a straight pipe and 40K clocked. Anyway has had 7.3 03 and 6.0 04, All 4x4 cc. I asked him out of all, If he had to purchase a NEW truck and all three motors were still in production, Which would he choose, He can even choose 6.4 or 6.7.
He answered very quickly. 7.3.
What is it with you guy's and the 7.3L.:dunno: Has it never let you down? Would you put your wife and kid's in it and send them on a 1000k trip?When you get up for a hard day's work, Is it like a puppy wagging her tale in delight to see you. Does she start quick and run hard?
I am very very happy with my 6.0L. Stock I smoked my buddy's 7.3 with a small Eco tune he had. But speed/racing is not why I own my beauty. ( It is a perk:thumb:)
I just wanted to here from a few that have owned a 7.3L and a few others. Be it the 6.0L/5.9L 12 / 5.9L 24 / 6.4L 6.7L / Dura max.
Whatever your experience's are.
There is a reason for this. My wife and I were discussing fuel prices the other day with her family. I was bragging on the benefits of having a diesel and the benefits they carry ( Bio ). Her brother said, " Why don't you sell Mary's Titan and get her a diesel" Then you would have a reason to produce BIO. Her response to this was Hell no. Or they are to big or even they are to loud. It was. " I do not need the truck bed anymore " So this leads me to believe I MIGHT be able to get her to buy off on the EXCURSION. As everybody knows. These can be purchased w/ a 6.0L or 7.3L
And once again. I love my 6.0L.

Thanks for reading

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
:hehe: well speed doesn't always matter... we like the reiliablity of the 7.3L... well I don't like it any more cause I don't have my truck:doh: but don't hate that more people out their would rather have a 7.3L:icon_ford: :rofl::hehe:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
its just a no BS diesel motor(no emissions crap), good power with a few mods, and is as reliable as they get, and i love the way it sounds. Not only that its wrapped in the best truck around. I dont know what it is but I love this truck and this motor

·
Registered
659 Posts
the 7.3 motor is simply the **** and that is mostly because it is extremly reliable and tough and like scheidt27 said it is wrapped around the best truck

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guy's.

·
haters gonna hate 24/7.
3,801 Posts
hey ya'll,

i have a first gen 7.3 ('95 model) and i wouldnt trade it for anything in the world... she has right at 200,000 on the odometer and the worst repair ive had to to was replace the fuel pump and the fuel filter canister ( just did it about 2000 miles ago). she still gets up and goes like when she was a few yrs old......

Im actually looking for a good used '00-02 7.3 powered F-350 to buy....

:icon_ford::icon_ford:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
well....myy 7.3 may not be the fastest...but i trust it more. the 6.0 has to work alot harder to produce the same or more amount of power. the 7.3 may eat up more money in mods to get it to produce mad power, but once its there its not going to be workin AS hard ya know? Less stress on everything....That just what iv heard.

the 6.0 bodys like 06 05 look alot better IMO tho.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
The 7.3 is a beast and the 6.0 is a dog. 7.3 are relaible and can hold their speed. 6.0's work hard to do what the 7.3 can do and can't hold their speed as well.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
and the 5.9 is just a 7.3 with 6 cylinders packed into a Dodge wrapper.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Bryan, I have owned 7.3's most all ,y driving life. My first diesel at 16 was a 1991 f-250 ext cab. no turbo. had to stand on that thing to get it to go, but i loved it and fell in love with diesels. Ever since then, i've had 7.3 turbos! I have NEVER had a major problem with one. :knockonwood: They have always gone when i put my foot on the pedal. and yes, i have loaded up the wife and kids numerous times to go on those cross texas trips im always on. I'd put her in it and tell her to go anywhere if i needed to. Thankfully she has her own vehicle :hehe:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I like the truck my 6.0 is wrapped around! I may have to worry about head gaskets but you have CPS problems that leave you stranded just as easy. I haven't ever had it struggle or hick up, pulls like a dream, rides like a chuck wagon, sounds awesome, and HAS A [email protected] TRANNY!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Bryan, I have owned 7.3's most all ,y driving life. My first diesel at 16 was a 1991 f-250 ext cab. no turbo. had to stand on that thing to get it to go, but i loved it and fell in love with diesels. Ever since then, i've had 7.3 turbos! I have NEVER had a major problem with one. :knockonwood: They have always gone when i put my foot on the pedal. and yes, i have loaded up the wife and kids numerous times to go on those cross texas trips im always on. I'd put her in it and tell her to go anywhere if i needed to. Thankfully she has her own vehicle :hehe:
If you let her drive it that would be breaking man law.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I like the truck my 6.0 is wrapped around! I may have to worry about head gaskets but you have CPS problems that leave you stranded just as easy. I haven't ever had it struggle or hick up, pulls like a dream, rides like a chuck wagon, sounds awesome, and HAS A [email protected] TRANNY!
I agree with the CPS (7.3) and head gasket (6.0) thing but an extra CPS can be carried in the glove box and can be switched out in 15 min. Headgaskets take a little longer than 15 min. As for the 4R100 my family has had 5 PSD's with them and they all have the original tranny and not one glitch last time I check. The 3 we still have have 158K, 155K, and 48K (this one hauls 10K lbs. 70% of time its out). The other 2 were sold with 80K miles but no glitches. For the 5R110 my truck has had 5 and in the shop right now again, cousins truck had 2, and my sister is on her first one still at 22K miles.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I am not trying to start any type of argument, I am happy with my truck and it seems like they often get bashed too easily. I know they weren't in production for 10 years and used in all sorts of vehicles, but the 6.0 isn't that bad.

My 04 had headgaskets done 3 times BTW.... LOL

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I am not trying to start any type of argument, I am happy with my truck and it seems like they often get bashed too easily. I know they weren't in production for 10 years and used in all sorts of vehicles, but the 6.0 isn't that bad.

My 04 had headgaskets done 3 times BTW.... LOL
I do agree. I'm complety happy with my 6.0, my brother, sister, and uncle are complety happy with theirs also. But the darn tranny in my truck is just being a pain in the azz. I mean come on I've had 5 tranny's and it's in the shop as we type.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe a little off subject but I have run alot of diesel trucks. Mostly class 8. off road and on. I currenttly have a 97 7.3 F350 dually with a dump. New to me and havent run it enough to make an opinnion. The sweetest little oil burner I have ever run was a new VW Jetta I bought in 88. It had I think if my memory is correct a 1.8 L turbo. The turbo was the size of lemon Yet that car never let me down. Always started, got 50 miles to the gallon and it would **** and git. I got rid of it at 88,000 miles ( it was a lease). And when I gave it back it still got 50 mpg and all I did was change the oil and the fuel filters. They can build cars/trucks with good mpg's They just choose not to.

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,863 Posts
its just a no BS diesel motor(no emissions crap), good power with a few mods, and is as reliable as they get, and i love the way it sounds. Not only that its wrapped in the best truck around. I dont know what it is but I love this truck and this motor
Also to ad to this is really with light to moderate mods they are extremely reliable, as we only have to really worry about two things, CPS and oil leaks :thumb: and they finally recalled the CPS!
where as the 6.0 has a laundry list of possible trouble spots, oh and SCHEIDT27 did say no emissions crap, right!
I run mine hard, with over 235K on the ticker, I only replace brakes, rotors, tires, batteries, the usual stuff!

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,863 Posts
I don't know about you, but here a CPS is a lot easier to change on the shoulder of the highway than a head gasket.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
284 Posts
the 7.3's are just tanks man. Mine just clocked at 200,000 miles. My friends dad's 7.3 has 550,000 miles on it. And those miles aren't easy ones, it is his shop truck so he drives it all over the country haulin his big *** trailer that always has a full load. :grd:

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
What is it with you guy's and the 7.3L.:dunno: Has it never let you down? Would you put your wife and kid's in it and send them on a 1000k trip?When you get up for a hard day's work, Is it like a puppy wagging her tale in delight to see you. Does she start quick and run hard?
334,200 miles, daily driver, no major repairs. And Yes to the rest of your questions :nod:
Craig

1 - 20 of 48 Posts