Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got a 06 cclb dually only mod has been putting in a new exhaust that removes the cat and the muffler about a month ago it started blowing whitish smoke out the pipes bad enough to create a small smoke screen. took it to ford and they replaced the oil and egr cooler. got it back from ford on a friday. monday the thing was still smoking any time i stop took back to ford and they ran there test and said there test show nothing wrong and that its caused by the exhaust. i know its bs... as far as i can tell im not loosing coolant anywhere (or through the engine) level stays the same. this is not used for any heavy hauling (just to drive the kiddos around). ford decided they were done with me when i called and told the service manager to stop blowing smoke up my *** cuz i am a diesel mech and i know better. there is no power loss that i can tell either so i would like some imput if anyone has some

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm actually dealing with the same thing right now. I just got done putting in a Bulletproof EGR cooler and I replaced the oil cooler at the same time. I was hoping this would have solved the smoke issue but no luck. I don't think I'm getting as much smoke now but it's still there. Other than a bad seal in the turbo or a possible injector problem, I don't know what could be causing it. I would think that if it were a bad turbo seal then I would be getting smoke at idle, which I'm not. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
It does sometimes take quite a while to burn out the coolant if the exhaust/muffler were really saturated. I just did one last week that took 2 days before it stopped smokeing completely. You may of course have other problems that the smokeing from the EGR cooler was covering up.

·
Registered
692 Posts
well the only thing i got for it is replace it with a rock solid 7.3 stroker and get rid of the 6.0 liter junk
Thanks for all your help!

OP You need to leave the truck with the dealer over night so they can run there test on it when the engine is cold. My truck had 2 bad injectors and it would pass a cylinder contribution when the truck was warm but failed when it was cold.

BTW 7.3 injectors don't last forever either...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well its back at ford again still blowing smoke and in a earlier question there is no kitty or muffler to load up so it shouldnt take long to clean out the system. and as for the color of the smoke its whitish with a tint of blue and i have noticed that it mainly does this when its in gear and idling. if i pop it into nuetral and keep the rpms at 1000 there is almost no smoke when i take off. and it desnt matter if the engine is cold or warm as it smokes the same

·
Registered
159 Posts
yeah my truck does the same exact thing flyboy. Hot or cold, I usually get the same amount of smoke. I don't have a cat or muffler either so there is nothing to get clogged up. Let us know what you find out from the dealer, if anything...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Mine started doing this the day I put my new exhaust on. If my trucks backed in the garage with the door OPEN it will fill the garage in a minute or two with a whitish blue haze. I would be willing to bet if you put you kitty back on it would stop. I'm not worried about mine, you shouldn't be either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine started doing this the day I put my new exhaust on. If my trucks backed in the garage with the door OPEN it will fill the garage in a minute or two with a whitish blue haze. I would be willing to bet if you put you kitty back on it would stop. I'm not worried about mine, you shouldn't be either.
well concidering it didnt start after till well after 6 months of the exhaust being put on. and if i had the cat on i would bee replacing it as it would have clogged up and then i would bee looking at even bigger repair problems

·
Registered
159 Posts
yeah my truck didn't do this last summer and I still have the same setup. There's definitely some wrong with our trucks. I feel like I have a loss of power too so I was guessing injectors. Does anyone know if an injector could cause smoke like this?

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and it turned out to be my FICM. Got the FICM fixed and it solved it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Actually i started having issues after my FICM was replaced last year. Ford replaced it and the smoke started when I got it back. I ended up getting another FICM and had it tuned by Innovative. I installed this over the winter and it made the smoke 10x worse. I think it's because they don't use the inductive heating for the injectors. I haven't put it back in with the warmer weather but I would expect more smoke than I have now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts