Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 04 f350 with a 7 inch lift. I normally have 37 inch mud tires on but needed good winters put on, on short notice and my budget was about 2 grand. Ford service dept. put on new winters which are 33's and said they'd be good. Ever since, the front tires were rubbing especially when I made sharp turns. Brought it to a diesel shop a couple days later for some other work and they noted "front tires are rubbing on leaf spring because they are the wrong offset wheel for this truck". Ford is saying it isn't their problem because its the lift that's causing this and insisting the same thing was happening with the summer tires on and that they put on the proper tires. I'm certain there was no rubbing with the summer tires on. Diesel shop said it needs "spacers" put in. Ford said I should take it to a tire shop to have "steering stops" put in. Ford never mentioned that this would be an issue and if they had I would have done something else, gone with different tires from the start or had them complete the job with the steering stops. Am I wrong and completely misunderstanding what is going on here? Just hoping for some opinions. Thanks! 馃槉

Premium Member
Post up pics where the wheels are now rubbing.

Premium Member
to better understand what happened need more clarification...

Ford put on new tires and wheels or just new tires on your old wheels?

*A 37in tire would rub more on sharp turns than a 33in tire due to the larger diameter? What size did you have one and what new size was put on?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thank you. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Ford put on new tires and rims. They took off my 37 inch mud tires and put on 33inch winter tires. Before they did the tire swap, I never felt any rubbing or had any noise when I was turning or any issue with the tires at all. Now with the winter tires, when I turn sharp and some times when I accelerate I get that rubbing feeling and sound and it feels almost loose or something in the driver's front wheel. I just divorced my mechanic husband so I have to figure this out on my own now lol

Premium Member
Finding a Ford dealership in the states playing with non-stock tire and wheel combinations would be hard.

They didn't put effort into what was done with the 37" combination. Those rims are most likely to have the rim centerline farther outward to deal with the 37" tires. You can put 285/16 tires on 2004 stock rims and get some rubbing, tire dependent. For me it's hard to say if a lift is an issue, but I don't think so.

Rather than just giving the diameter configuration, it would help these guys if you stated the tire name and the complete sizing.

Reactions: Jeff-F350

Registered
I'm curious why the 37s weren't good enough for the winter? Why the wheels were swapped vs just replacing the tires? How you would ever be able to make a u-turn by adjusting the steering stops which would increase the already Titanic-like turning radius of the leaf-sprung trucks?

That being said, I have 295/75R16s (33x11.50) on my stock height with stock wheels F250 and don't' touch the springs.

Administrator

Premium Member
Hey, when your first wife of 9 months leaves a tape in your car's player ......

Premium Member
I had 35鈥 on 18鈥 rims on my 鈥04, and I don鈥檛 recall it rubbing on the springs.

Factory rims. I鈥檓 not sure what year they cam off.

BBBRRRRRTTTTT
I bet they scammed you on the wheels by throwing on someone's factory take offs. Post pics of what you got going on with the rubbing.
thats what im thinking, or her x husband is the ford mechanic lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts