Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it true that when the motor has to be worked on the cab of the truck had to come off?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
on a 7.3 obs no. 7.3 sd kinda. 6.0 and 6.4 OH YEA. those engines are packed in so much that the only way to work on em is pull the cab. :doh:
7.3 no not at all. 6.0 depends on what you are trying to do. 6.4 get it up in the air

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
The only one you have to lift the cab on is the 6.4. I have never seen a cab off of a 7.3 or 6.0 at the dealer and anything that can go wrong on the engines they've repaired. They even repaired a 6.4 in cab because there was a rack over the cab.

W

·
0 Posts
from my experiance the 7.3s you can do with out pulling the cab, the 6.0s you can work on them with the cab on but there is ALOT to tear apart to do this, most just pull the cabs. All work i have seen on the 6.4 (major work) has also been cab off

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so that would be a problem for me i fi like doing the work myself now that cab off is only on the diesel not the gas and dodge and gm diesels cabs dont have to come off?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
ok so that would be a problem for me i fi like doing the work myself now that cab off is only on the diesel not the gas and dodge and gm diesels cabs dont have to come off?
You will never have to remove the cab to work on a 6.0 if your going to replace the parts with OEM parts.

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
whats your truck? and what issues are you having?

nice lol how do you like your 99 i see it looks clean in your sig looks really nice
so far so good :thumb: havent been able to get above 15mpg tho :doh: i have a list of mods im gonna do when its near being paid off. :woot:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I haven't worked on a 6.4 yet, but from my experience - no you don't need to pull the cab on the 7.3 and you also don't have to pull the cab on the 6.0 but when you're replacing the HPOP seal, it would help.

now with the dodge and gms they dont do this
If it's a 2nd gen Dodge with the Cummins, the head has a hard time coming off with the cab on.

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
You will never have to remove the cab to work on a 6.0 if your going to replace the parts with OEM parts.
Adam its either pull the cab which takes 2 hours tops or remove the front clip and pull the engine which takes 5-6 hours for the average tech. Which one would the smart guy do:doh:.
Those are the only ways to do heads properly on a 6.0. if you dont chances are you didnt get the back bolts torqued correctly

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Adam its either pull the cab which takes 2 hours tops or remove the front clip and pull the engine which takes 5-6 hours for the average tech. Which one would the smart guy do:doh:.
Those are the only ways to do heads properly on a 6.0. if you dont chances are you didnt get the back bolts torqued correctly
Okay know it all. I see it all the time and on 3 of our 6.0's have gotton HG's with TTY bolts with the engine in and cab on and 2 of them are doing fine. Techs in my next of the woods can pull an F series engine in 3 1/2 hours and an E series in 4. Every tech is different but lifting the cab is not a standard procedure while doing repaires on a 6.0.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts