Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've never owned a diesel before but am 99% ready to pull the trigger on a 2004 2WD Eddie Bauer Excursion with the 6.0L Turbo Diesel and only 79,000 miles. I appears to be in very good shape, at least from the naked eye. I wanted to get some opinion on whether this vehicle with this diesel engine should meet my needs.

Currently I'm in the process of selling my 2007 F150 w/5.4L gas engine. I use it tow a 32 ft travel trailer to take the family camping in the summer/fall. I live in Michigan and it tows this trailer adequately all around the mostly flat lands of MI, OH, IN, etc. This summer I took it out to Rapid City, SD and the F150 did ok but it was rough in a few spots. It was then that I realized I REALLY need more truck if I want to someday venture further west (i.e., Rockies).

My questions are:

1) Would a 2WD Excursion with the PowerStroke Diesel be a good choice here for towing out west? I forget the weight of my trailer off the top of my head but its a 2007 and is one of those "lightweight" deals. I would really prefer an SUV over a truck for comfort with the family and only the Excursion (why'd they stop making it?!) seems to have a diesel option.

2) Reading up on diesels I'm finding people that will bad mouth Powerstroke, Duramax, and Cummins--everyone seems to have an opinion. Regarding the Powerstroke though, I believe I've heard that the 2003 6.0L is when Ford "got it right?" Is their validity to this and is the diesel in the Excursion I'm thinking of buying have any known issues I should be aware of?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jack

·
Registered
529 Posts
I love my 2003 Ex. yes it has had some issued with the 6.0, but I had a new EGR cooler and Oil cooler put in at 80000 miles under warranty and a new Tranny Temp sensor put in and at 145000 she runs like a dream. It may be better to find an 03 with a 7.3L. Then you know you have something solid. Make sure to become a premium member so you can get an OASIS report!

G

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
:agree: YUP!!m Premium members get free OASIS report. Get a report on it if possible. Some of these 6.0L have no issues at all. EGR VALVE, COOLER and HEAD GASKETS <I would say mostly due to hot tunes! Towing youll prolly experiance cooler issues toeing out west. SIMPLE FIX!!

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
:welcome1:

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
:welcome1::welcome2::welcome1::welcome2::welcome1::welcome2::welcome1:​

·
a known holder of grudges
2,055 Posts
:icon_ford: :icon_ford: :ORG welcome: :ORG welcome: :icon_ford: :icon_ford:​

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. Well, I didn't go for the 2WD Eddie Bauer Excursion as I decided I really wanted 4x4. In the meantime I've had people try to talk me out of the PowerStroke due to all of the problems it has (had?). I'm looking more at a 2005 Excursion now. Is there anyway to tell (by the VIN maybe?) if the engine in a particular Excursion is from when they finally got it right? I'm half thinking of getting an Excursion with the gasoline V10 now.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
From what I've read, the 7.3L is better, but the tranny is sketchy. The 6.0L grants better MPG and HP in stock form. I, myself, am hunting for an Excursion as well. I'm looking at anything from '02-'05 with either diesel motor, obviously maintenance and proximity my determining factors. My biggest problem is not having a vehicle near me so I can check one out. I did find an '03 V10 that I might just go drive and see if I like it. I'm fairly certain I'll like the vehicle, but I won't care for the poor MPG with the V10.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts