Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I got the bug to get another power stroke, and I’m looking at a 2004 Eddie Bauer Ex. 6.0
92k miles.

Haven’t seen it in person yet, but gearing up to go look it over. It looks pristine in the pictures, but who knows. Looks babied, driven on Sundays type of truck.

Anything specific to the Ex from the Excursion guys I should pay attention to? I’ve never had a super duty 250, had a couple of 350’s - 6.0 and a 6.4.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
169 Posts
Make sure they key fobs actually lock and unlock the doors. Check all of them..lock and try to open them from the outside, Include the rear glass hatch too. I missed 2 bad locking actuators when I bought mine. It's 7.3, but the rear hatch actuator has a reputation. With 5 of them going on and off at the same time..its easy to miss one. Also, the key fob gives you insight to the GEM module. I learned that the hard way too on my F350. Key fobs work, no problem.

On that 6.0..definitely pull the dipsticks and check all the fluids.

Underneath, look at ll the bump stops. There are 3 sets, 1 set on the front, and two on the rear. One is the axle "snubber", and the other is above the over load in the middle. It's not the easiest job to do, but the parts are not to expensive.

Cycle very switch and accessory and confirm they work.

Front and rear windshield washer..I had to find two leaks on the rear one that was draining the reservoir. One was in the foot well of the passenger, the other at the grommet by the rear glass in the door jamb.

Try reverse before the truck has time to get some heat in it..mine has a very sluggish reverse until it gets up to operating temps.

Key on truck off, cycle the 4wd switch, listen for the actuator in the transfer case to click and clunk. Confirm the light on in the dash.

Take a flashlight and take your time looking it over.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If possible get a scanner (Scangauge, TorquePro) and look at the EOT/ECT deltas, FCIM/battery voltage (the one I bought had "recycled batteries" - cost me some injectors and a FCIM), Oasis report to see about any accidents, maintenance records (6.0L need religious maintenance, must be why most of us here are crazy zealots!). Find a reputable diesel mechanic to check these if your unsure. Drive the pi$$ out of it, open the engine bay and observe. Coolant residue is baaaad....

Hopefully it's stock, hate to see all kinds of performance mods.

Happy 6.0 2004 EX owner here...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts