Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What Chip/Programmer are you using in your 7.3L Powerstroke?

• Superchips Microtuner

Votes: 131 21.1%
  • Edge Juice/Att Monitor

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Edge Evolution

Votes: 93 15.0%
  • Bullydog Power Pup

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Bullydog Dyno Dominator

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Bullydog 4Bank Chip

Votes: 23 3.7%
  • Diablosport Predator

Votes: 27 4.3%
  • Hypertech Programmer

Votes: 43 6.9%
  • Banks Six Gun

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • TS Performance 4Bank Chip

Votes: 179 28.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
i've got a chip on my Stroker

I was using Superchips, but I took it off and got a 6 position chip from TS Performance out of Bowling Green, KY. Don't know if you've heard of it or not. Their web address is www.tsperformance.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
99Smokin73Stroker

What do you think TS 6 position switch. I was looking at them and thought it was one heck of a deal for what ya pay. Please let me know. Thanks in advance Lancer!!

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Smoke time

Lancer It is a great deal for a chip considering it's adjustable in cab and offers so much more horsepower and torque at the wheels versus most of the other tuners out there. But it just depends on what you want it programmed with. I got anti-theft, stock, 50, 75, 100, and 140hp settings. The anti-theft just shuts off the fuel pump so it can't be started. I wish I would have dumped the anti-theft and gotten high idle instead because I always forget to put it on anti theft when I park the truck anyway. My 7.3 was an occasional smoker with my superchip maxed out, but with the TS on the 140 level it dumps a very satisfying amount of thick black smoke for a couple of seconds under heavy acceleration. The You will definitely enjoy the TS chip. Just make sure you have no warranty cuz it will surely be void if they see it there. Any other questions hit me up...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply!! I will make sure i get the idle up instead of the anti theft! My truck is a 99.5 so i don't have any warrenty. I have stacks and would love to see that black smoke pouring out of them!! Thanks again and if i have any more questions i'll give ya a shout!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
smoke'n it

There is another inexpensive mod you can do. If you don't want to buy a new system. stack an ICP controler on. I had a Diablo. I now have a Superchips. I never take it off the 110hp setting. With the ICP controler, I have a dial and a 2 position switch. With this i can ad 0 to 85hp on the ground plus the extra 150ft lbs. It turns alot of heads in town. Flip it on high and the truck lopes and puffs a little black smoke.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was just wondering why you guys love the black smoke so much. It's unburned fuel. Wouldn't you rather make the same power by burning as much fuel as possible?

·
Registered
686 Posts
The Smoke

You are absolutly right. Heatwaves is what you want to see in an engine but turning these up you create a little embalance in the air fuel system. On my large Cat engines, you can turn them up almost 200hp and still meat emissions with very little amount of smoke. The difference is in the highly advanced computer and fuel pump. I'm sure with some R&D and computer programming you could make a match in turbo and injectors to have a high output without the smok'n.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with you 100 percent, I have put a 5 inch exhaust and a banks turbo houseing on it and K&N To get better mileage / didn't happen so I put a level three Banks chip Banks torque converter and a trans comand - all Banks - no differance , then I put a six gun on it and insulated the intake and turbo charge tubes / well I got about .5 mile per gal improvement. If anybody has done something that really works let me know. Thanks MikeOB By the way I have a 99 dually and pull a 32 ft fith wheel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Running a Banks Ottomind chip in mine. I didn't see it on the list. Love the throttle response, just wish it was an in cab adjustable type....well another day, another few hundred bucks, who knows.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The smoke

Hey Mike, Sounds like your makeing a valiant try at it. The mistake I know I have made is believeing everybodys advertisments and figureing if I add them up I should get about 100mpg. The other mistake was changeing to many things at once. I'm a little excessive compulsive they say. I know that what works well on one engine might not work so good on another. Point, I changed the exhaust on a gas truck a few years ago. I thought it would be awesome. Not so, I almost lost half the fuel mileage. Problem, the cam timeing was wrong for a 0 backpreassure system. I would like to see a realworld test between the 4" and 5" exhaust. I like the idea of insulateing the intake more. If I can handle the power loss, I'm running this week with the ecm backed down to stock, I will evaluate each device. There isn't much that I havn't touched so backing up might take awhile.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Miles per gal HA HA

I have been looking at a water injection system and thinking that might help? and I am toying with the idea if electric cooling fans. I am in need of some expert advice from some body in the know, When it comes to gas I understand it to the point that I even believe I understand how Earnest Pouge got 200 miles per gallon back in 1928 (THE FAMOUS 200 MPG CARB) He discovered that liquid gasoline won't burn. But I lack the understanding as to pushing up the mpg on diesel. By the way I forgot to tell you I have a big head waste gate control also. I have talked to the Banks engeneers two diesel shops and even put it on a mechanics web page to see if anybody had any good ideas. Banks told me it had to be fuel because I took care of the air??? maybe??? one diesel shop told me to let them know if I figure it out because they would like to know also. Another shop told me I needed to change my injectors from a double fire to a single fire injector?? which I have been told by someone else "won't work with my computor" and a ford mechanic told me to take it back to stock to find the problem. The problem in trying to figure it out is no one puts down what in real time happens so you can see what is going wrong, Mercedes got 2000 miles per gallon on a test car - I think that 18 or 20 miles per towing isn't to much to ask. If and when I understand and figure it out I will let everyone know MIKE OB P.S. I just got a brain storm / I am going to put a adjustable resistor in the back pressure sensor line so I can tell it what I like and I will do the same to the fuel pressure sensor. I have read where higher fuel pressure will improve your fuel mileage and I have read in the Ford manual to ck for high fuel pressure if your haveing poor fuel mileage. I believe the right hand is not suer if the left hand is even there.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Fuel mileage

Well Mike, I tried the electric fans on my 460 truck a few years ago. It was nice on the coast but I took it on the road to eastern wa. state in 107 degree weather. I found out real quick that I needed way more fan than I had. I know the pricipals of the heat activated fans our trucks have but it could be better. My big trucks have an air clutch fan that is on with out air. The same could be done on our trucks with an electric clutch that would be locked in without power. Even thow our thermo fans aren't locked totally, they do draw some power. Thats funny you should mention the ICP control. I was just at another PSD site and the thread I was reading was about the ICP controllers. This guy said he wouldn't put one of those chaep %#@^ things on his rig. I have one on each of my psd trucks. They are worth every penny. You can stack these on top of any other chip or programmer. Like I was saying about starting over to test fuel mileage. I'm going to go without any electronic mod's first then, the ICP low & high and onto the programmer and see where I went wrong. Keep strok'n it. Talk with you soon. Bill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just a banks chip, not 6-gun on the 7.3

·
Registered
413 Posts
What chips are in my truck?

Well.....I've got a few Doritos wedged between the driver's & passenger's seats. I dumped a few Tostitos in the back seat last summer, so a few are probably still there and yesterday I found a Pringle under my armrest..... :D

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Yeah worm i've definitely got a few of those chips in my truck too. They like to get lodged between the speaker box and the back of my front seats.....man when I pull that box up after a month or so.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Second air intake

I just added a second air intake that goes into the air box lid, I used a abs 3 1/3 pipe, got it hot with a heat gun and mashed it flat, like a 1 1/2 inch tall - then I cut a hole in the top of the ari cleaner and tried to glue it in with abs glue (WARNING ABS WON'T STICK TO THE AIR BOX) I found some plastic two tube mix and glued it in. Then I connected it with a hose to infront of the battery with a second filter. Mike OB

·
Registered
118 Posts
Air flow

When I get a minuet I am going to post some pictures and material used to do it. It was less then 50 dollars and more then doubled my air flow. Mike OB

1 - 20 of 120 Posts