Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Ford 450 with the 7.3 L powerflow, but need to swap the engine for a 2010 or later to comply with new California law, a real bummer! There are. more 6L engines offered for sale than 7.3, so will a 6L fit and if so what is required?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a 2000 Ford 450 with the 7.3 L powerflow, but need to swap the engine for a 2010 or later to comply with new California law, a real bummer! There are. more 6L engines offered for sale than 7.3, so will a 6L fit and if so what is required?
It's an entirely different platform. It's certainly not replacing a 289 with a 351 in a rustang.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
accidental duplicate sorry.

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
The 6.0l stopped in 2007 so it would not meet the emissions criteria for CA. You would have to swap the engine/transmissiong, all moduels, and big dash pieces from a 2010 or newer 6.4l which would NEVER be reccomended. Heres a link to CA guidines.

It honestly may be better to buy a 2013 or newer 6.7l vs trying to retorfit a 7.3l or change all your business/residency to out of CA etc.

·
Registered
549 Posts
W6K - sell it to someone outside of commiefornia.

So everyone in commiefornia will have to sell their 7.3?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 6.0l stopped in 2007 so it would not meet the emissions criteria for CA. You would have to swap the engine/transmissiong, all moduels, and big dash pieces from a 2010 or newer 6.4l which would NEVER be reccomended. Heres a link to CA guidines.

It honestly may be better to buy a 2013 or newer 6.7l vs trying to retorfit a 7.3l or change all your business/residency to out of CA etc.
I was afraid it wasn't going to work. Replacing the 7.3 with a 2010 or newer is an option,if I can find one, but will the transmission and some auxillary parts be retrofitable? If all else fails I can buy a newer truck and sell this one out of state.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts

W6K - sell it to someone outside of commiefornia.

So everyone in commiefornia will have to sell their 7.3?

I think this is applies to California commercial vehicles about the size of the f450 and up.

·
Registered
8,716 Posts
I was afraid it wasn't going to work. Replacing the 7.3 with a 2010 or newer is an option,if I can find one, but will the transmission and some auxillary parts be retrofitable? If all else fails I can buy a newer truck and sell this one out of state.

It is not worth trying to swap a 6.4l diesel engine and transmission in a 2000 F450. It would be worth more selling to someone and using that money on a 6.7l. The engine, transmission are not compatible with newer units. Now..... There is one option but again its super $$$. Fummins swap. There are some companies that sell transmission adapters and harnesses to use a cummins engine in the ford platform but its very labor intensive and from the work involved you would be ahead $$$$ by selling the f450 and getting a newer generation. I totally understand wanting to keep the 7.3l but unless you move your options are limited and $$$

@Spirit Im aware of the 2010 rule. He has until JAN 21 to comply or he cant get registration based on his model year truck. There were new exceptions though depending on the industry with extensions. He would have to contact C.A.R.B. directly though. They are not friendly nor knowledgeable people when it comes to trucks/emissions systems. One of their reps tried arguing with me that my 2004 6.0l should have had a dpf system and that I was violating CA and Federal emissions laws. When he finally stopped foaming at the mouth to listen to me he never even apologized. Just asked if I had other questions and hung up. I spent 08-2014 in CA I learned all about their smog/star/ referee stations, and C.A.R.B. very well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts