Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put on the tie rods and as the picture shows, the passenger side threads a lot more to reach torque than the driver side. If you have these tie rods does yours look the same? i dont know if it will be bad for the boot.

Attachments

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
Dana 60 or 50 ttb? Cant you just adjust it over to the other side. Remove the tie rod, make the threads equal, then spin the bar o they adjust out equal

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was told it was a 50, but ive seen others who have 60's and mine looks the same so im still in the dark as to what axle it is.

it tightened up that way before i even put it all together, so i thought maybe when i attached the adjustable sleeve to the other tie rod it will even out but it didnt.

i do notice that the part of the rod that the bushing is pressed into is thicker on my old one.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Is the axle solid all the way across or is there 2 pieces that bolt to the crossmember on the passanger side

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Naw guys he's talking about the ball joint going in so far on the passenger side (castle nut way below the cotter pin hole) that it looks like it's crushing the rubber wiper seal. Something not right there. Is there a stamped part number on the passenger tie rod (or box that it came in) and does it match the part number sold to you on the store receipt? I'm thinking that the store pulled the wrong part for your truck.

No I do not have this brand tie rod, but that's not right.

·
Registered
270 Posts
the drivers side looks ok, the passenger side looks wrong, The hole for the cotter pin is way up past the top of the nut... looks like the pin is too small on that joint and it is protruding too far through the tab on the spindle

·
Undead Member
715 Posts
Something is wonky. The rod ends fit to the knuckle with a taper fit. Either the rod end is the wrong taper, or the knuckle taper is damaged, cracked, etc.

Keep us posted with what you find, please.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i called xrf to verify what part i need and its 1071, which is stamped on the tie rod, you can actually see the part number in the picture on the passenger side.

im going to take it out and measure the hole in the spindle and compare it to the driver side. that is the side that broke on me so maybe it wallowed out the hole?

·
Undead Member
715 Posts
im going to take it out and measure the hole in the spindle and compare it to the driver side. that is the side that broke on me so maybe it wallowed out the hole?
I sure hope that isn't the case, otherwise you're going to finding and installing a steering knuckle. If you get that far in, might as well do ball joints and the u-joint.

Fingers cross for ya.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it looks like bad news...i measured the holes and the passenger side is almost .100" of an inch bigger in inside diameter. when i compared to driver side i see that the driver side has a chamfer edge leading into the spindle ( you can see in the picture with red arrow) and the passenger side has no chamfer.

my tie rod on the passenger side was real bad and i was too lazy to replace it until it was about to break! so this is a warning to you all, dont be lazy LOL

luckily though i bought new ball joints and was going to replace then anyways so im really not making any more work for myself. the only extra is buying a new spindle.

has anyone priced them out? should i just do junkyard or buy from auto store?

Attachments

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
I personally wouldn't trust mushroomed steel.

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
Maby do some reasearch to a rod that has the same threads and a bigger joint. Ream out the spindle and fit it up... prolly more trouble then its worth tho

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont think welding it up and redrilling to spec would be good...probably more work too...i dont suspect a new(used) bare knuckle would be much $$

at least then i know its correct size for my tie rod.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
I haven't seen o/8500 [EDIT knuckles] yet but u/8500 [EDIT knuckles] are running $140.

·
Administrator
30,457 Posts
reams of special tapers and welding on cast and then machining is all more expensive and least trust worth than a new /used part IMHO

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Yes you have Over 8500 GVW truck. F250's and larger diesel fall into the over crowd. Remember that the F150's and Bronco's are nearly the same frame and body but with some lighter parts. Rockauto.com. Prices are good but watch out for shipping. Rockauto doesn't call them spindles. They list them as knuckles.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts