Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how far above full are seeing it?

mine is clear to the wire above the plastic bob. and that is with 5K miles on it

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine is the same. The dip stick is a joke! The taper on the bob pulls oil on the way of the dipstick tube and can give you a false reading of being overfull. I took a wire , about 1/16 diameter and cut it to the same length as the dipstick and it showed at max mark. :doh:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is the same. The dip stick is a joke! The taper on the bob pulls oil on the way of the dipstick tube and can give you a false reading of being overfull. I took a wire , about 1/16 diameter and cut it to the same length as the dipstick and it showed at max mark. :doh:
this bad?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Yea,

I have not used anything but the dipstick but it takes a few times to get a half *** reading.

What ever happened to the good old flat dip stick, did something need to be fixed?

·
Registered
68 Posts
this bad?
This is the level mine shows also. When I used the wire test it showed max. Bring back the flat dipstick!! Again the tapered end is pulling oil and giving us a false reading. I finally got a good reading but I lost count on the number of tries.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is the level mine shows also. When I used the wire test it showed max. Bring back the flat dipstick!! Again the tapered end is pulling oil and giving us a false reading. I finally got a good reading but I lost count on the number of tries.
Let me be clear. You may very well have an overfill condition! I am saying the way this dip stick is designed you can have a mis-read.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Ford technical bulletin on checking the oil for overfull describes only pushing the dip stick in to where the cap just touches the top of the dip stick tube, not all the way in.

This whole thing has been very frustrating as mine is one of the 6.4's that has fuel in the oil as proven by oil analysis (4% last change and high aluminum and iron). The technical hotline tells dealers that it is normal to have fuel in the oil and suggest even that a quart of fuel per 1,000 miles is acceptable. Mine has been in the shop for over 7 days for this issue (three different trips). THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE OVERFILL SITUATION.

I have been around diesels all my life and any level of fuel in the oil is a bad thing, I don't care what Ford says about it. This may very well be the last Ford I ever own. (My company currently owns 8 super duty's and has over the last 30 years owned over 40 Ford pickups).

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Most of the time when this happens on a diesel engine you can pull the valve cover and find the leak. On this engine though it could be and probably is the pump leaking. They are blaming this on regen and calling it normal but there is a real problem. If it were normal they would all do it.

·
PMR = JUNK
11,263 Posts
They blame regen, thats an easy test. There are a few guys on here that have done the DPF/Regen delete, does their oil get over full over time?

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Dusten has the oil rising issue been resolved?

this bad?
My oil level looks exatly like you pic and I have 5k on the od. My dealer won't do squat and said it is normal and within ford spec.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Over-full Again!!!!!

Just took my '08 into Ford today because it is over-full again! The first time there was oil all over the hood above the oil fill cap and high on the dip stick, dealer said they made a mistake when they changed it and changed it agian for free. Now the dip stick reads more than max when I only stick it short an inch (bottom of o-ring on handle). Lead tech at the new dealership I took it to today agreed it was at least 3 quarts over-full. Will three quarts cause permant damage to the engine? I also seem to have lost my low-end power when pulling, I could see it happen very obvious on one trip. It is also getting 4.8mpg on the computer and closer to 4mpg hand calculated while pulling. I might as well be driving a semi with a 500hp Detroit, my buddies gets over 6mpg grossing 80,000lbs.! At this point I would love to see this truck disappear, but I am so upside down after only one year of ownership that I would loose a ton of money. This is the worst diesel I have ever owned and I have only owned Ford diesels, not one gasser! I want my reliable 7.3 powerstroke again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My nephew just bought a 1999 F-550 diesel and we were trying to check the oil for the first time ( he didn't think to check the oil before he bought it ) pulled the dip stick out and it showed an over filled reading. After wiping the dipstick off to I tried to reinsert the dipstick in the tube and it dosn't want to go but about half way down. We tried for about a half hour and gave up. He took the truck back to the guy he bought it from and he spent about ten minuntes and forced it in. ( I wasn't there to see this, the guy lives about eighty miles away ) The tube dosn't seam to be kinked anywhere. Any ideas on whats up with this, is there a trick to getting it back in the tube?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just had my bed plate leak fixed and the dealer said I had 1 injector leaking fuel under the valve cover. 3 oil changes 2 qts over, 15K on truck, it passed there normal leakdown tests but the tech agreed that it smelled like fuel in the oil and looked into it when they pulled the motor for the oil leak and found it. Put 200 miles on truck with no diff. in mpg, it will take me 6 months to put 5k on to see if oil stops rising.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I put a Spartan on my truck (with DPF delete) and no more overfill - it actually burns a little oil now. Prior to that I pulled two tests showing ~4% fuel dilution.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts