Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of mileage do you get? Please include any performance that may have helped you out. Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you have to ask about the milage don't do it!!:)

If mine didn't have them on it when I bought it they wouldn't be there! Thats a lie but it sounded good.

Seriously, I have been to scared to figure it my self but the gauge in the truck stays between 12.5 and 14.5 most of the time. Waiting to see if the mods I just did make a differance.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have to ask about the milage don't do it!!:)

If mine didn't have them on it when I bought it they wouldn't be there! Thats a lie but it sounded good.

Seriously, I have been to scared to figure it my self but the gauge in the truck stays between 12.5 and 14.5 most of the time. Waiting to see if the mods I just did make a differance.
No, I want to do it. Either way I'm lifting my vehicle. Either my current Titan or the SD. Whichever one will make more sense in the long run. The SD would have to get much better mileage than the Titan. My Titan gets between 11-12 on my current commute. 11 when I punch it, 12 when I baby it. If you were to put 35s on it, I would be in the 9s. Which is completely unacceptable. But if I can put 38s on a SD, and still get 15mpg that would be kickass. I'm guessing I could still probably get 13-14 in town huh?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Doubt it buddy. with 37's + you're looking at 12 and under in the city. I have factory 20's with 35's and a 4" lift and I get about 14mpg city (tampa city) and 17hwy. If I slow way the F'k down I can squeeze 21mpg. with 37's and a 6" lift doing 75mph with cruise on.. i'd bet you money you'd be at 15mpg hwy. and I've hand calculated my mpg's and my meter is perfect almost every time. +/- .1-.2. with 37's don't expect more than 15mpg hwy.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doubt it buddy. with 37's + you're looking at 12 and under in the city. I have factory 20's with 35's and a 4" lift and I get about 14mpg city (tampa city) and 17hwy. If I slow way the F'k down I can squeeze 21mpg. with 37's and a 6" lift doing 75mph with cruise on.. i'd bet you money you'd be at 15mpg hwy. and I've hand calculated my mpg's and my meter is perfect almost every time. +/- .1-.2. with 37's don't expect more than 15mpg hwy.
Highway I only get 12. City 11. And that's completely stock. My truck would get 8-9 on 37s. So thank you for answering my question. It was as I predicted. My numbers may have been inflated, but it's still the answer I had wanted :D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If you re gear when you step up to bigger tires it sholdnt really hurt your mileage all that much. I get 13-17 Depending how I drive around and hiway but 17 was my max babying it. I need a tuner BAD

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you re gear when you step up to bigger tires it sholdnt really hurt your mileage all that much. I get 13-17 Depending how I drive around and hiway but 17 was my max babying it. I need a tuner BAD
Do you think I should regear if I do 38s?

·
Registered
433 Posts
When I lifted and added 37's mileage went down to 11 (10 with a load). When I regeared it went up to 13 (still 10 with a load but downshifts less).

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I lifted and added 37's mileage went down to 11 (10 with a load). When I regeared it went up to 13 (still 10 with a load but downshifts less).

How much did it cost to regear?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Anything over 36's or 37's is probly going to require re-gearing (unless you had 4.10's stock, then it'd probly be like 38"+). But I'd still try it out first and see what you think. and remember, check the accuracy of your Speedo before calculating MPG's. With my 35's my speedo is 0/0. Dead accurate. checked it vs a GPS and another stock car. SO that means If I were to go with a larger tire my speedo would be off.

And in general, larger heavier tires require more power to keep them turning. Bottom line. Bigger tires = worse MPG's. Unless you are riding on 37" x 7.5" skinny At's. and trying to obtain a certain RPM with a certain Gear or something... you get my point.

As for lifting a 1500 with IFS... That's a expensive gay idea. Pavement pounder, with Rack & pinion, and IFS. which breaks. I don't see a late model truck being lifted more than 4" w/35" tires being practical. Personally I'd probly do jus ta 1" level kit and 33" AT's on a newer F150/etc. Especially w/current fuel prices.

my 2 cents. That's why I"m dropping my 4" lift and riding stock F250 height and keeping my 35" AT's on stock wheels and calling it a day and drinking a beer. That setup will get me more places than I need/want to be with my truck. And i'm still riding on massive 1 ton axles and not a pavement pounder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts