Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Dad walked in to the hospital with covid on November 18th. Long story short, he passed away on Christmas Eve and a month after his 69th birthday. An even longer story short, the hospital protocol/denial of proven treatment is what killed my Dad. I’m working through it and trying to let go of anger. One of the best ways I can think to honor him is to fix up his 03 6.0 that he left behind. I’d do just about anything to spend a little more time with him working on this truck.

Mechanically, this old truck doesn’t need much other than a wheel bearing and fixing an exhaust rattle. Dad bought this truck in 2016 with 110k miles on it. He knew it needed an oil cooler and hpop so that was the first major expense along with an Edge CTS2 monitor. Shortly after that, a couple of injectors, front suspension complete rebuild, steering gear, Bilstein shocks, brakes, and a radiator. All of that was done in 2016/17. Dad began 3500 mile synthetic oil changes, 10k fuel filter changes, and Archoil. Since then, it hasn’t missed a beat. Fires right up, pulled his 10k pound camper all over the place without any further issues. He changed the rear dif and transmission fluid religiously and stayed on top of coolant and coolant filter replacement. 235k miles on it as of today.

I replaced the faded/yellowed headlight assemblies today with the former 03/04 style pair that were once on my 04 6.0 (I updated to the 05 style). Ordered a new wiper cowl and top cab molding last week so they should be coming soon. I sent his CTS2 off to Edge Products because the touch screen failed. They are repairing it free of charge despite being years out of warranty. One of the door sensors isn’t working right… the dome light stays on for a bit (turns off when you start driving) and the door ajar indicator is lit. I’ll chase that down but not sure where to begin.

Definitely needs a paint job… I need to find a good paint and body shop that will do a proper job in the Athens GA area where the truck is. The interior is completely intact and pretty clean for being 19 years old.

So, any suggestions for Dad’s old truck are appreciated. I won’t be offended by anything… I know it’s not the nicest or newest truck. I know it’s a project. I just want to honor my Dad by keeping his old truck on the road for as many more years as possible.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Plant
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Attachments

·
california deplorable
11,532 Posts
i too am sorry to hear about your dad. truck doesnt look to need a lot from what i see

·
Registered
558 Posts
First and foremost sorry for your loss. Working through pain and anger is personal and we all deal with it differently but we are all capable and I promise once you get his truck where you want it you will just smile and cry in happiness. My wife and I were fortunate enough to go through her uncles camaro after her father gifted it to the both of us for her birthday a few years back. Like you said mechanically truck is done so just do what he wanted or your version of what he wanted. We had to go through wiring, everything mechanical, and even the interior. I looked at how he had it and knew he daily drove it so we kept what we could and refreshed all else. One of the unique things we did is put his name in the headrest of the seats when we had the recovered. The other thing was his name on a custom license plate. Her family came and visited in November and the interior had her dad in tears. Actually that's been his response the last few times he came to visit since we have done a little at a time. He still can't believe you can get in fire it up and drive with no worries, and my wife can't either. We also have a photobook with pictures of everything we have done including just washing and detailing just to keep the memories. If you can't garage it get a cover unless you are going to daily it perhaps also. Enjoy working on it and update your post with anything and everything you do. It is fun to just look back after time and see what one's done.

·
Registered
2004 F-350 CCLB egr delete, MBRP 4” turbo back exhaust, mishimoto rad
194 Posts
First and foremost sorry for your loss. Working through pain and anger is personal and we all deal with it differently but we are all capable and I promise once you get his truck where you want it you will just smile and cry in happiness. My wife and I were fortunate enough to go through her uncles camaro after her father gifted it to the both of us for her birthday a few years back. Like you said mechanically truck is done so just do what he wanted or your version of what he wanted. We had to go through wiring, everything mechanical, and even the interior. I looked at how he had it and knew he daily drove it so we kept what we could and refreshed all else. One of the unique things we did is put his name in the headrest of the seats when we had the recovered. The other thing was his name on a custom license plate. Her family came and visited in November and the interior had her dad in tears. Actually that's been his response the last few times he came to visit since we have done a little at a time. He still can't believe you can get in fire it up and drive with no worries, and my wife can't either. We also have a photobook with pictures of everything we have done including just washing and detailing just to keep the memories. If you can't garage it get a cover unless you are going to daily it perhaps also. Enjoy working on it and update your post with anything and everything you do. It is fun to just look back after time and see what one's done.
I was gonna suggest something to remember him by on the truck but I couldn’t think of anything but the license plate and headrests are a great idea

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad :( It's so tough, but unfortunately, there's nothing we can do when it's our time to leave this world! Glad his legacy lives on through you and his truck!

As for the truck - If it ain't broke...don't fix it. Just keep doing what he was doing and monitor the vitals! Sounds like it's mechanically sound!

-jokester

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I feel ya. My dad passed away a few years ago. About a year after that, mom sold his 1992 GMC Suburban. Barn door rear, dual zone AC, 4x4 with power everything. I wish I could have held on to it. If I could have, not much would have changed. I would have kept it as he had it. That way, it would still be his.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry about your pops. You mentioned your door ajar and dome stays lit, what you can try is get some brake cleaner and remove a plastic plug on your door near the handle.
Spray brake cleaner down and all around that area and then use wd and do the same. Open and close your door a good 5-10 times and see if that helps. If not replace the door switch. PS..fluid will drip out the bottom of the door so dirt area or cardboard is in order.
Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun Auto part

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I finally got some time to tackle the door ajar switch that kept the light on the dash illuminated as well as the dome lights. When I disconnected the hardware and pulled the latch assembly, I discovered that the switch had actually just come apart… I guess the glue holding the plastic part in the sleeve had failed at some point. I re-glued it and put a zip tie around it for good measure. No more annoyance. First of many little things to fix on this old truck. Had to start somewhere.
Hand Revolver Finger Motor vehicle Thumb

Finger Bumper Gas Nail Machine

Metalworking Engineering Bicycle part Saw Auto part

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I like easy fixes like that :D

-jokester

Reactions: 6LiterTeter

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like easy fixes like that :D

-jokester
Me too. Now on to cylinder 6 contribution code, growling noise at low speed, automatic lights that always stay on (even during the day) AC fan that only works on high or low, new driver side seat cushion, aftermarket head unit/back up cam, repaint, 05 headlights and possibly grill, +++++++….$$$$$$$$

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Find an empty parking lot and do figure 8's at low speed with the windows down. See if the growling noise decreases/increases when the truck shifts to one side or the other. Sounds like a possible wheel bearing.

-jokester

Reactions: 6LiterTeter
1 - 12 of 12 Posts