Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
::For Everyone Running “Black Diamond Titanium” Head gaskets::

I have a few questions for you.

I know these have been out for some time now and a lot more people are using them now. It is almost impossible to find an engine remanufacturer that actually still uses OEM head gaskets in their long blocks except for FoMoCo. So here are my questions I have for you.

1: At what date and mileage did you install them?
2: Did you install them or did a shop?
3: How many miles have you put on the engine since installing them?
4: What is your vehicles primary use? E.g; Daily driver, hot shot driver etc.
5: have you had a failure since installation? If so how many miles since installing them and what was the cause of failure?
6: What is your estimated HP level? Most will probably be around stock + programmer levels but I want to know if there are any others out there in high HP applications testing these gaskets.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
hmmm subscribed this is the first im hearing of anything except oems after the black onyx failures

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
I have a few questions for you.

I know these have been out for some time now and a lot more people are using them now. It is almost impossible to find an engine remanufacturer that actually still uses OEM head gaskets in their long blocks except for FoMoCo. So here are my questions I have for you.

5: have you had a failure since installation? If so how many miles since installing them and what was the cause of failure?
6: What is your estimated HP level? Most will probably be around stock + programmer levels but I want to know if there are any others out there in high HP applications testing these gaskets.

Thanks guys.
1. 12/01/2012 118,986
2. I installed them but I work at a independant light duty diesel and automotive shop
3. 7k give or take
4. Daily driving mods in sig has been on a dyno and at the track since install
5. No
6. Last time at the track I was at 460 based on time I think The dyno at dynomite showed 402.

All that said I started a thread a while back about these and was all but shunned for trying them. I have e-mailed multiple times trying to get a straight awnser but cant. So far it seems that Victor Rinez Mahle is making the OE ford gaskets and these gaskets. They have Discontinued the BO gasket line. The black diamond gaskets are night and day from the BO gaskets and look Identicle to the Ford OE gaskets except the color of the sealant. I dont think these will fail and will most likley become the new go to gasket when doing a head job. It will just take a while do to the issues with the BO gaskets.

·
Administrator
29,508 Posts
These are not to be confused with the black onyx gaskets. These are different gaskets but are still manufactured by VR.
This comment would also be the same as saying VR makes the OEM Gaskets

Because the Black Diamond Gaskets state that they are made on the same line as OEM but use a different colored sealant so the ford agreement is not breached

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
This comment would also be the same as saying VR makes the OEM Gaskets

Because the Black Diamond Gaskets state that they are made on the same line as OEM but use a different colored sealant so the ford agreement is not breached
This is what I have been trying to confirm for months now and get in writing. But talking to a german company through american reps is just getting pointless. All the info I gathered and reps I have talked to have all but stated this. Most likley why there is only one company turning out aftermarket gaskets.

On topic
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/323418-new-black-onyx-head-gaskets.html

Post 11...Hopefully kaya sees this thread bryan and can chime in. If they do 20 HG jobs a month with these hopefully there is some info they can share.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Subscribed, does the motor your installing have black diamond gaskets?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've installed two black water engines, both came with a victor engine gasket kit. The head gasket directions were in the box and from the looks of the gasket info it appears the same as the OEM gasket. So far they are holding up well in both trucks. One is a crew cab f550 for a pour wall company and gets run hard. The othe truck is a dd and doesn't get used. Both engines have been in for about a year with no issues and both are studded. I have found the fel-pro does not make a MLS gasket at all at least for diesels. The 03 and newer cummins are MLS gasket and the fel pro head sets I have purchased through the shop come with a victor head gasket. Don't know if this is any help or not.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Not sure that I will be much help but here it is anyways.
1: Mid to late March, 96,200 miles.
2: I installed them myself.
3: 2000 miles
4: Daily Driver
5: No
6: ~550Hp

Adrian also has them and has more miles than I do with 55+ psi of boost and 205+ injectors and all seems to be holding just fine. I think he's around 3-4k so far.

·
Administrator
29,508 Posts
This is what I have been trying to confirm for months now and get in writing. But talking to a german company through american reps is just getting pointless. All the info I gathered and reps I have talked to have all but stated this. Most likley why there is only one company turning out aftermarket gaskets.

On topic
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/323418-new-black-onyx-head-gaskets.html

Post 11...Hopefully kaya sees this thread bryan and can chime in. If they do 20 HG jobs a month with these hopefully there is some info they can share.
thread brings back memories LOL

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i know that young sc works on engines all day and he did tons of research and decided they were the same as oem and he is installing a set now.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well for anyone who has them installed please keep this thread updated. It would be nice to see real world feedback on these gaskets in one location to see how these gaskets pan out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
glad to see someone started a thread on this(was getting ready to) I have most items ready to bulletproof, but gaskets, and have been seeing them a lot more, stock now but planned on getting them just to try and compare them to the oem gaskets. nice to see other people using/installing them now. plan on doing all the work soon I hope, see how it goes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Subscribed

·
Lt. Negativity
1,739 Posts
Instead of mileage or how long they last etc etc.

How about something else as some of us knew THE Black onyx where different sizes.

So you really want to know is purchase stock gaskets various years, purchase the gasket your referring to various years, and actually measure the thickness of the MLG.

Why because there were problems of different thickness in the black onyx gaskets. This is will help you dictate wether or not if they are close to factory spec and sizing. Also another thing to think of is whats really causing the gasket to fail ?? is it the gasket? uneven thickness across the gasket ? also how much clamping force was actually applied ? who torqued them to 215 ? 225 ? or 245, etc ? Has anyone actually gone in and rechecked and retorqued their truck to see if they backed off or arent as tight as orginially ?

Gaskets arent the only thing that just lets go, its always something leading to or causing it to.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Instead of mileage or how long they last etc etc.

How about something else as some of us knew THE Black onyx where different sizes.

So you really want to know is purchase stock gaskets various years, purchase the gasket your referring to various years, and actually measure the thickness of the MLG.

Why because there were problems of different thickness in the black onyx gaskets. This is will help you dictate wether or not if they are close to factory spec and sizing. Also another thing to think of is whats really causing the gasket to fail ?? is it the gasket? uneven thickness across the gasket ? also how much clamping force was actually applied ? who torqued them to 215 ? 225 ? or 245, etc ? Has anyone actually gone in and rechecked and retorqued their truck to see if they backed off or arent as tight as orginially ?

Gaskets arent the only thing that just lets go, its always something leading to or causing it to.
No what I want to know is what I asked. If you want to start a thread asking what you want to know feel free.

·
Lt. Negativity
1,739 Posts
I could careless Ive been around long enough to know whats works what doesnt. I was just providing you info to use to get your answers and FACTS not hype as everyone follows these days. Take in consideration what I stated actually answers some of your questions.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts