Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Thanks for posting this! My dad welds many times a week and he's the "get er done" type of guy at work and always on a mission while workin and never reads any warning labels, gee I wonder where I get that from... I'm definitely having him read this article!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting this! My dad welds many times a week and he's the "get er done" type of guy at work and always on a mission while workin and never reads any warning labels, gee I wonder where I get that from... I'm definitely having him read this article!

You're welcome. Scary stuff. Funny thing is, I was just using brake cleaner earlier that day for just that. A few of us were.

·
Vendor
12,885 Posts
I've come across that too while TIG welding a bunch of SS water headers at work. That smell that it gives off is horrible. I didn't realize that stuff was that harmful. I stopped using that cleaner a long time ago just cause I couldn't stand the fumes. And it did make me a bit nauseous come to think of it. Glad I dodged those bullets.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the article. I haven't ever gotten in the habit of spraying the area I'm about to weld with anything but I'm for damn sure not going to start now.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I've come across that too while TIG welding a bunch of SS water headers at work. That smell that it gives off is horrible. I didn't realize what the article talked about though. I stopped doing that a long time ago just cause I couldn't stand the fumes. And it did make me a bit nauseous come to think of it. Glad I dodged those bullets.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hmm this explains alot Corey:hehe: jk bud

But in all reality this may explain why my high school shop teacher was so damn brain dead

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great info

I am so glad you posted this and even more I actually read it!

Thanks a million and know I will be sharing it

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am so glad you posted this and even more I actually read it!

Thanks a million and know I will be sharing it
Your welcome. I've passed it around to everyone I know, and posted it in our shop. Easy to do, and you wouldn't even know it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thank you for posting this

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the article,you can also create phosgene gas with an open flame around refrigerants.

·
Doesn't Even Care
18,044 Posts
Yep...gotta love that phosgene gas....its SO good for you....ive puked a couple times cause of this stuff when changing components inside outdoor units

Reactions: Heatdr1

·
Registered
628 Posts
I never understood why people would use chemicals to clean something prior to welding. isn't that what grinder are for to get to a clean base metal? That combined with proper personal protective equipment, plus engineered controls like fans, and other proper ventilation. Granted my welding experience is industrial, but I'm sure there's a reason why they don't allow those cleaners to be used, not to mention the potential weld contamination of not cleaning it fully.

The only thing I've ever had an issue welding was galvanized. Simply because you can grind off all the galvanized, have it "look" clean, then go to weld it and it still bubbles up in the areas that are cleaned. When Tig welding it makes a huge pain constantly having to re-sharpen tungsten.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I never understood why people would use chemicals to clean something prior to welding. isn't that what grinder are for to get to a clean base metal? That combined with proper personal protective equipment, plus engineered controls like fans, and other proper ventilation. Granted my welding experience is industrial, but I'm sure there's a reason why they don't allow those cleaners to be used, not to mention the potential weld contamination of not cleaning it fully.

The only thing I've ever had an issue welding was galvanized. Simply because you can grind off all the galvanized, have it "look" clean, then go to weld it and it still bubbles up in the areas that are cleaned. When Tig welding it makes a huge pain constantly having to re-sharpen tungsten.
#wirewheelgrinderforlife , who needs chemicals

1 - 15 of 15 Posts