Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Duper Duty
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a Foil delete do anything besides make the pipe look better I did the delete along with the stage 2 intake so i didnt know if it added anything
How do you guys get all the glue off? i used goo gone it didnt really do much so i put it back on so i could use the truck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Its just for looks and sound, you get a little more turbo whistle from it, what i did to get all the glue off was soak it down with a penetrating lube and let it sith then i used a wire brush and just went to town on it

·
Registered
189 Posts
i wanted to do it but my dad told me that it was going to mess with the coolness of the air going into the turbo or something i really wanted to do it for the whistle but if he doesn't want me to do it then im not going to....he is the one with the $$$ and if i break something he will help me out fixing it but if i break something after he "told me so" then im S.O.L.

·
Lubrication Addict
236 Posts
Just for Looks and Sound. It might have a slight effect on cooling. I have seen a couple of 7.3L with carbon fiber wraps on thier Tubes. Looked really sweet.

I took a cordless drill and a wire wheel. Took about 15 min. Gave the tube a polished look.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Foil delete adds 20HP and makes ur truck 4lbs lighter! :hehe:

It's just for looks. If you try it again you need to soak it in something to release the glue and a drill with wire brush attachment or die grinder makes it a lot easier.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
i wanted to do it but my dad told me that it was going to mess with the coolness of the air going into the turbo or something i really wanted to do it for the whistle but if he doesn't want me to do it then im not going to....he is the one with the $$$ and if i break something he will help me out fixing it but if i break something after he "told me so" then im S.O.L.
Sorry, but your dad's wrong.

The foil is only on the tube going into the CAC(charged air cooler). It is cooled with the intercooler, and then goes to the moter. This pipe is not feeding your turbo.

The reason people take the foil off, is for the exact reason Ford put the foil on in the 99.5 and later models. Sound. This is where the charged(compressed) air comes out of the turbo, so it is the air closest to the compressor wheel. Thats why you can hear the turbo whistle best through this pipe. The early 99 trucks did not have this foil on the ic pipe. People complained about the noise level from the turbo in the cab, so Ford changed the compressor wheel(bye bye WW) and put a foil covering on the hot side of the turbo for the 99.5 and later models. It is strictly for sound.

Ultimately...do what your dad says, if he has the money, then it is his truck, but thousands of people have done this mod, and there has never been a turbo issue(or any other issue to my knowledge) related to doing this.

Good luck changing his mind. :shrug:

As far as getting that crap off ~ Elbow grease, a good solvent, and a scotch brite pad. It ain't easy, but it's worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts