Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a thread in the 6.0L mod help where they figured out how to bypass the fog lights so they stay on when the high beams are on. Has anyone figured out how to do this on the 08's? If you have I am very intrested in this and would appreciate step by step instructions, with pics because I'm a cop not an electrician:doh:. If anyone can do it I know the guys on POWERSTROKE.ORG can!!!!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I am interested in this as well...

·
Premium Member
626 Posts

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I am sure its a simple wiring change...I know thats not much money, but I hate paying for something that I am sure is super simple...lol

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you want the foglights to work off of your headlight switch if would be difficult to mod. The power for the foglights comes out of the smart junction box (fuse panel) through the foglight relay, the switch merely activates the relay, all control is inside the s.j.b.. All of this leading to, you could simply connect your existing wire to the 15 amp. upfitter switch wire and then you could use the upfitter switch to turn the lights on and off anytime you want. Hope this helps some.

737tdi

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
on the older fords its this simple. you pull the knob out, and splice the parking lamp wire into the wire for the fog light relay. this powers the fog lights up any time the parking lights are on. if you find the wiring diagram for the head light switch, it would be simple to figure out.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This will only apply to trucks with a fog lamp relay that is active. As I've posted earlier not all trucks do. Mine isn't, have yet to get up to the dealer to have them try and activate using thier comp. I installed the brackets/lamps and wiring harness plus the switch with the pull out detent.

I am giving this for info. only because I have not been able to check it out on my truck yet (see above). The brown wire is the foglamps and the gray wire is parking lamps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright.....if the truck came with foglamps from the factory, however only on low beam, the only thing we would have to do would be run a jumper from the grey wire to the brown wire behind the switch? Would we need to cut the brown wire coming from the relay? Please explain in detail, and pics would help, remember i'm a cop not an electrician....:dunno:

·
Registered
300 Posts
txcop356: I really don't like giving directions on things I haven't done myself yet. But at your own risk. I believe you should remove the brown wire from the connector or cut and cap the switch side. Then splice the brown wire into the gray wire. I am an aircraft mech. by trade and have done my share of wiring, so cut an 1/8" window in the gray wire (remove insulation with a sharp razor knife without cutting the actual wire, 2 cuts 1/8" or so apart all the way around the wire), with electrical tape temporarily attach the brown wire to the window, see if it works. If it doesn't simply repin the connector and insulate the window with elec. tape. If you cut the brown wire just use a small wire nut to reconnect and tape. If it does work it would be best to solder the brown wire to the window and then insulate with tape. By the way, your little foglamp light will not light up if you do this due to breaking the circuit of the brown wire.

I will check with my dealer in the morning to see if he can get me on the computer, if so I can do this mod in 5 mins. and let you know for sure. I'm off Mon. so I'll give it a shot. By the way if you've never removed the switch, just pop the panel around it off and it all will be in your hands use a piece of plastic and pry it on the bottom.

Give me a day and I hope I can let you know for sure.

737tdi

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Cool....thanks for the help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
thanks 737tdi. I will be waiting your word. It would be nice if there was a way to turn on and off the fog lights. If you could come up with a way to still use the switch that would be out-friggin-standing!! Thanks for the help!! Is there a way to tap into the "incoming" side of the switch instead of the outgoing and run the jumper on that side. If I am thinking correctly then you could still use the switch. Is that possible?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Txcop: You will still use your headlight switch, they will just come on with the parking lights. I see no way to leave it wired as is through the switch. The circuitry inside the smart junction box is what turns off your foglamps when you turn on your high beams. I was not able to get to the dealer today, to much honeydo. I will though.

737tdi

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I understand 737. I updated my reply but I think you already answered my ?. When I was talking about using the "switch" I meant the fog lamp switch (Im kinda anal like that, lol:crazy:)

BTW GCop we are talking about the fog lights not the regular lights, however that mod is pretty cool too, didnt even think of that one but will be using it!! Just to confirm this will work on an 08?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts