Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new here and new power stroke owner (2007 F350 Lariat CCSB). This may have been covered already, but I have a an issue with this truck and the lights. I’ll list what I did and what it’s doing.

BEFORE CHANGE:
Headlights= stock bulbs
Fog lights= stock bulbs

AFTER CHANGE (UPGRADE)
Headlights= LED
Fog lights= LED

here is the issue. After I installed the headlights and fog lights I went to test them and found the fog lights would not turn on (I made 100% sure they were plugged in correctly). I also noticed that when I tried to turn them on, the high beams would activate instead of the fog lights. I can also see the high beam indicator lit up on the dash when I turn on the fog lights. So I did a little diagnostics and found the following.

NOTE: THESE ARE A PLUG AND PLAY SET OF LIGHTS FOR BOTH HEAD LIGUTS AND FOG LIGHTS. THEY CAN ONLY BE PLUGGED IN ONE WAY

DIAGNOSTICS:
  • checked all connections, fuses and had the key turned on
  • removed LED fog lights and installed factory bulbs and kept LED head lights (still didn’t work and had high beams still turned on with fog switch)
  • removed LED head lights installed factory bulbs (everything worked 100% correctly like factory)
  • installed LED head lights again (keeping factory fog light bulbs) and it went back to turning high beams on with fog light switch.
  • I removed the LED head lights and put stock bulbs back in (again back to functioning 100% correctly)
  • I removed factory fog light bulbs and installed LED’s (with new LED fog lights, the truck continued to function 100% correctly like factory)

the above diagnostics tell me when I have the LED headlights installed, this is causing the issue. So my question is, can I do something to keep both sets of lights working 100% correctly when they are both using LED’s? Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hey guys new here and new power stroke owner (2007 F350 Lariat CCSB). This may have been covered already, but I have a an issue with this truck and the lights. I’ll list what I did and what it’s doing.

BEFORE CHANGE:
Headlights= stock bulbs
Fog lights= stock bulbs

AFTER CHANGE (UPGRADE)
Headlights= LED
Fog lights= LED

here is the issue. After I installed the headlights and fog lights I went to test them and found the fog lights would not turn on (I made 100% sure they were plugged in correctly). I also noticed that when I tried to turn them on, the high beams would activate instead of the fog lights. I can also see the high beam indicator lit up on the dash when I turn on the fog lights. So I did a little diagnostics and found the following.

NOTE: THESE ARE A PLUG AND PLAY SET OF LIGHTS FOR BOTH HEAD LIGUTS AND FOG LIGHTS. THEY CAN ONLY BE PLUGGED IN ONE WAY

DIAGNOSTICS:
  • checked all connections, fuses and had the key turned on
  • removed LED fog lights and installed factory bulbs and kept LED head lights (still didn’t work and had high beams still turned on with fog switch)
  • removed LED head lights installed factory bulbs (everything worked 100% correctly like factory)
  • installed LED head lights again (keeping factory fog light bulbs) and it went back to turning high beams on with fog light switch.
  • I removed the LED head lights and put stock bulbs back in (again back to functioning 100% correctly)
  • I removed factory fog light bulbs and installed LED’s (with new LED fog lights, the truck continued to function 100% correctly like factory)

the above diagnostics tell me when I have the LED headlights installed, this is causing the issue. So my question is, can I do something to keep both sets of lights working 100% correctly when they are both using LED’s? Thanks for any help guys.
My guess is you need resisters on the headlights. I'm assuming the truck thinks your low beams are out, because there's not enough power draw.... Try putting one led and one incandescent headlight bulbs in and see what happens.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6riders, thanks for the info. I will try that once I get home today from work. Do you possibly know what resistance I need by chance? Or are the resistor setups all the same ohms? Thanks again for the info

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
The way Ford has the setup (although this may have been changed by 2007, I don't have that diagram), the fog light relay coil is grounded through the headlights. So when you are on low beams, the fog lights are on, but when you turn on the high beams, there is 12v on both sides of the fog light relay coil, and the fog lights go off - per Federal regulations.

Going to LEDs changes that entire situation, as 6riders noted. LEDs are not a simple filament that permits a small current flow through them for grounding while not generating significant light.

You might find you need to interrupt the circuit from the fog light relay coil grounding side to the high beam and run it directly to the ground. That will change the situation where fogs can be on with high beams. I did that, but initially, I had to make it a changeable situation as long ago, my state inspection would have deemed that a violation.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
A workable solution may be to set up relays controlled by the factory circuits, and the relays power the LEDs themselves as an auxiliary circuit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your input gentlemen. I got home pretty late last night and didn’t get a chance to look at using 1 normal bulb and 1 LED to see if that was enough of a load to make them work normally. Being as today is Christmas Eve (plus it is pretty cold outside) I’m not sure I’ll be testing it today or tomorrow. The weather should warm up a little this weekend, so I’ll continue testing and update this thread after I do so. I do like the idea of relay isolating the circuits as well. So that may be what I do in the end depending on what I find out with testing. Thanks again for all the input and I hope all you guys have a Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys I had a quick minute to do one of the tests mentioned above. I installed only 1 of the LED lights and left the other light a factory bulb. I found that with 1 factory bulb installed, the lights function 100% like factory. So I am pretty sure that I am going to need resistors in line with the LED head lights (to put more of a load on the circuit like a factory bulb does). Now I am going to try and research what resistance I need to make them work properly. Thanks for the input guys and I will update this thread once I come up with a solution

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
I dont see how that can work ........

Now I get it.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
The typical resistors are 6 ¤ 50 watt. Sold all over the place. You should be able to find them with the Ford specific plugs for an extra couple bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Mot sure if your lights are the H13, but this is for that bulb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys I ordered a set of load resistors from “Super Bright Leds” and I noticed on the reviews, there was a guy with a 2006 F250 and he had the same issue I am having. After he purchased the load resistors, they worked perfectly. So I ordered them too. With shipping, it was about $28. I will update this thread once I get them and install them. If they work, I’ll paste a link directly to them here. Thanks guys

EDIT: ^^^^^^^. The above post are the exact ones I ordered and that is a link right to them. I’ll update the thread if they work.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I’m getting ready to make an order to SuperBright LEDs also.

All the lights that come on when the door opens, I want to change those. I’ve got a King Ranch, which I think is slightly different cab lighting than the Lariat. I’m also truing to decide on what brightness to make the running boards. The wattage used does not necessarily correspond to the lumens produced. Seems the newer square white LEDs use less energy than the bulb looking LEDs.

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
The resistor does not go "inline" it goes across the terminals to provide a load(reverse path)
since the LED bulbs act as a diode they only allow current in one direction
the resistor bridges that and allows current to flow for the fog light relay coil

Reactions: TooManyToys

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
The resistor does not go "inline" it goes across the terminals to provide a load(reverse path)
since the LED bulbs act as a diode they only allow current in one direction
the resistor bridges that and allows current to flow for the fog light relay coil
That’s what I wasn’t thinking of, duh. Went totally brain dead. 🤪

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE: I finally received my load resistors today from super bright LED’s.com and was able to install them. They are the exact same ones that The Evil Twin had posted in his reply. With the load resistors installed, my truck functions 100% like factory again with my LED head lights and fog lights installed. Thanks for everyone’s help/reply’s to this thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts