Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fluid in the 5R110 is now 13 years old and I want to renew it.
I'd like to flush the whole system, similar to what the guy doing here:
How can I bypass(?) the thermostat so that really everything is flushed?
In the video Mercon LV is used. Isn't Mercon SP the right one?
My dip stick:

·
Administrator
29,489 Posts
i thought you asked about this ? must have be another German poster

your dipstick is old ;-)

anyway Mercon LV superceeded Mercon SP and Mercon SP was to be discontinued untill they found that a few other powertrain units ( not the 5r110) performed better with the SP so they did not discontinue it

the official stance is you can use either or mix the two

that procedure should work and negates the need to bypass the T-Stat ( not possible )

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I did mine I simply drained it, cleaned the pan, filled it up and drove up a big hill until the trans temp was over 170 (IIRC) for some time, this will open the tstat and allow the old and new fluid to mix. I then drained the fluid again and changed the filter, refilled and good to go. If you have really old fluid you can repeat the hot trans multiple times.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I plan on draining and filter swapping twice, but the second drain and filter swap will be at the 5k or 10k mark. I did the first drain and did the 6.4 pan and full flow filter upgrade. Mercron SP was still available at my dealer and on Amazon. Just remember the toilet paper bypass filter also. I did consider bringing it to the dealer for the expensive flush, but opted against it.

·
Administrator
29,489 Posts
the thermostat is never closed all the way it flows 10% so even a short drive will exchange the fluid from the cooler circuit

what it does not work well for at 10% is the traditional flush method of breaking a cooler line loose and adding fluid thru the fill tube as you drain from the cooler discharge line

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,250 Posts
Drain and fill, drive to full operating temperatures and repeat a few times.

Same way I flushed my radiator on my 6.0

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have no idea when my trucks transmission was serviced last. It is just a few hundred miles under 90K so I feel the time is now. I just watched the video and I thought it appears to be a very easy way to service the transmission. What are the thoughts of those who service their trucks transmission. Is the way in the video pretty effective? I mean without driving and draining over and over again? Also is it a 2008 5r110 pan and filter needed for better protection update?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts