Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,909 Posts
I have run the MC 10w30 stuff. At my 50k oil change inadded some hot shots se as well to clean out any deposits.

I have since move to fl and might revisit a 5w40...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am picking up a 6.7 2021 in a few days
I was wondering what is getting good results for the fluids in the drive train. Specifically oil brand, type synthetic or not, I will consult owners manual but just wondering what’s giving good service. For gas engines I am partial to Mobil product because they are readily available and seem to be good for me.
Any feed back is appreciatted
The Mobil products you are accustomed to are excellent products. Everything I own, gas or diesel, has Mobil 1 synthetic fluids in it with the exception of my Probe as with nearly a quarter million miles, it's hard to keep oil in. Along with excellent products, Exxon Mobil puts a lot into technician and consumer training on their products and industry standards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have a Sams club anywhere close I picked up a 3 gallon pack of Rotella T6 5w40 for $55.00 a couple weeks back. I so far it’s been run on royal purple 15w40 and the rotella T6, I don’t notice much of a loss of power or mileage, but mine just went in for the crankcase vent issue and a couple of other codes which ended up in the dealer reflashing the pcm. So my mileage is suffering until it relearns everything again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
pick a brand and stick with it, if you have to add oil between changes use the same , main thing is just change the oils and your filters regularly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone have experience with Liqui Moly?? I’ve been using it in 2 of my SUVs for about 2 years (can get off RockAuto) and found a drastic difference in fuel efficiency and performance (idles smoother, less noise under load, etc)

I’m a T5 or T6 guy for years but bought some Moly 5w40 for my next oil change. 2019 F250 with ~15k on engine.

Interested to see how it performs compared to Rotella.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I forgot to mention that I run Amsoil in ALL my bikes (dirt and street), quads, SxSs and there is a SIGNIFICANT improvement in shift response, valve train noise, idle, and power over any and all other oils I’ve used.

Amsoil is well worth the money IMO for small engines but then you are only changing 1-4 quarts at a time not 12-15.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am picking up a 6.7 2021 in a few days
I was wondering what is getting good results for the fluids in the drive train. Specifically oil brand, type synthetic or not, I will consult owners manual but just wondering what’s giving good service. For gas engines I am partial to Mobil product because they are readily available and seem to be good for me.
Any feed back is appreciatted
Use Amsoil (I use amsoil in my trucks, car and motorcycles)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My opinion on amsoil is that it costs 1.5 to 2x more expensive than a "premium" synthetic oil..... You can't go 1.5x the mileage nor do you get 1.5x the protection. This, IMO, eliminates the oil oil as a contender.
I will say, in smaller, less 'violent' gas engines, it's not a bad choice at all.... You can even run it longer.... But a diesels need oil changed at 5k...maybe a little more, but, more likely @ 5k or less.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,057 Posts
FYI....IF Amzoil was SO good we all would already be using it in our trucks.

Run what you want.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used Rotella T until I added the bypass filtration system and then switched to Amsoil. Thus far, with extended interval checks, Blackstone Lab reports significantly better than average when compared to a 7,000 mile lab check. FWIW

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will get into the link here shotly and my thought process is I would like to have a quality proven product that is readily available. If I am 3000 miles from home and need to change the oil I just want to go get it.
THANKS !
Use T6- itbis available everywhere- and the only real reason To use Amsoil is for way too long change intervals! Use T6 and change it at sooner than factory intervals- do a oil chech( mailnin sample) 2 times a year... depending on the miles you put on her! I haven’t seen anything that says Amsoil is better than T6. If you are worried about it- install a bypass oil filter system and do the services at factory intervals.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used Rotella T until I added the bypass filtration system and then switched to Amsoil. Thus far, with extended interval checks, Blackstone Lab reports significantly better than average when compared to a 7,000 mile lab check. FWIW
T6 with a bypass - will
Do just as good!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
T6, Motorcraft, and Delvac are available at Walmart
Big difference in T6 and the standard oils. Always use a full sun if possible. Flows way better cold and protects better hot. And run(idle) the truck for at least 3-5 mins after a big pull... before shut down- it really will help your turbo live.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm going to post this here too.

1. Introduction
I'm NOT an oil expert but wanted to share some of my own Virgin Oil Analysis results. The larger file that contains Rotella T4 10W30, Rotella T5 10W30 and Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w40 are my personal own analysis I had paid for through Black Stone Labs, the Rotella T6 5W40 and the Amsoil 5W40 are from other individuals. All oils are CK4 rated.

2. Discussion
From these results, by the numbers (Anti-wear, Detergents, Dispersants, Viscosity) it would appear that Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40 is the better "Full Synthetic" oil out of all these samples to include Amsoil.

Another interesting observation is that there isn't much of a difference between Rotella T5 10W30 Synthetic Blend and Rotella T6 5W40 Full Synthetic. And if you really think about it, why pay more for synthetic when the anti-wear and additives packages are similar between the blends and full synthetics.

Something interesting to note is that both Rotella T4 and T5 10W30 do not meet Fords minimum Phosphorus levels of 1000 PPM, yet both are on Fords approved oil list.

3. Conclusions
In my opinion Rotella T5 10W30 is just as good as Rotella T6 5W40 (when comparing the numbers). If you want to pay more for a full synthetic then thats up to you. These tests don't reflect the base oil quality and that is where one could debate which base oil is best, but when comparing the other packages they are all similar. And it shows that Amsoil is NOT the best but is similar to the other brands.

Again, I'm not an oil expert and don't have all the answers, but I find it interesting when people just say Amsoil is the best yet have no proof to show for it except for "I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows an uncle that says Amsoil is the best" or shows test results from Amsoil and only Amsoil.

I'm not saying Amsoil is a bad oil, I just think all their hype is not worth spending hundreds of dollars for their product when I can go down the street and pick up Rotella or Valvoline. But to each their own.

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts