Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a 6.7 2021 in a few days
I was wondering what is getting good results for the fluids in the drive train. Specifically oil brand, type synthetic or not, I will consult owners manual but just wondering what’s giving good service. For gas engines I am partial to Mobil product because they are readily available and seem to be good for me.
Any feed back is appreciatted

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Depends on what how much you are willing to spend. T6 is a good middle ground, amsoil is higher quality but more expensive

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will get into the link here shotly and my thought process is I would like to have a quality proven product that is readily available. If I am 3000 miles from home and need to change the oil I just want to go get it.
THANKS !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know gas engines have the viscosity on the filler cap what is I wonder if diesel pays a little more attention to the temperature range where you operate at or season

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I know gas engines have the viscosity on the filler cap what is I wonder if diesel pays a little more attention to the temperature range where you operate at or season
10W30 for fuel mileage; 5W40 synthetic for engine longevity.

·
Administrator
31,231 Posts
not sure amsoil is any better but you are paying more thats for sure
how else could you fund
Make Money With AMSOIL
  • Need for financial independence
  • Need for lifestyle independence
  • Need because of uncertainty on my job
  • Need for spouse to quit working
  • Need to retire
  • Need to be my own boss
  • Need to be rewarded and paid for what I do
  • Need for recognition for what I do
  • Need to create something with my own hands
  • Need for college funds
  • Need for a vacation home
  • Need for a new car
  • Need to get out of debt
  • Need to feel good about a job well done
  • Need to be successful
If your need isn’t on the list, put it there! Our point is you must have a need that the AMSOIL Business can fulfill for you to be successful. Otherwise, knowing HOW to make money in your AMSOIL Business isn’t enough if you do not WANT to make money in your AMSOIL Business.

Get the picture?
The AMSOIL Opportunity
The AMSOIL Business is the only independent network marketing business we know of where you can walk out your door and compete head to head with world class corporations. As an AMSOIL Dealer, you can compete with multi-billion dollar international corporations and multi-million dollar local distributors who vie for business in a marketplace worth hundreds of billions of dollars. How would you like a piece of THIS market?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That link is really helpful I read the Ford position paper and will follow that in decision making sounds like from other post Rotella and Delvac are well thought of

I WONDER WHO IS MAKING MOTORCRAFT BRAND oil

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Depends on what how much you are willing to spend. T6 is a good middle ground, amsoil is higher quality but more expensive
Amsoil is not on the Ford approved list.

Do you have any data to support your assertion; like personal UOA reports of Amsoil versus an approved oil under the same operating conditions?

I have no Amsoil experience. I do have non listed versus listed UOAs that showed increased wear metals for the non approved.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
My engine builder turned me onto it, he only uses amsoil and he isnt a dealer. I was using royal purple at the time and made the change. I did a test on the RP with oil fortifier and it came back satisfactory. But after being around the diesel and car community for awhile basically every test i have seen is that amsoil is better than RP. Then adding to my logic is this, fords main money maker is cars, not oil. Amsoils only game is oil, so i would bet that it is better than motorcraft.

Also consider that most oil brand’s tech has gotten so advanced over the recent years that it really wont matter what brand you use, as long as you use a reputable brand (not amazon, not sahabeebs), and stay with the oil change intervals. Will the OP notice any difference between off the shelf vs amsoil? Probably not. Will it make a difference in the life of his truck? Probably not. Is amsoil “better” than off the shelf? Probably, just comes down to if you think the increase in performance (however much may be) is worth it to you.

As for being on Ford’s magic list, manufactures have to pay Ford to test it to get it on the list. My guess is amsoil didnt see the need to do that, but rather have the customer make the call instead. Look on the Ford list, you got guys like “valuetech” on the approved list. Look that one up and tell me if you would prefer that over amsoil. I wouldnt even put that in a push around mower.

I only use amsoil because it makes me feel better about myself since i own a 6.4. Gives me a false sense of security.

Here are some links for tests if anyone is interested, independent tests only

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
The ‘magic’ list is real.

I used the “wrong” version of Valvoline Blue HDEO. The wear protection package is not sufficient in that version. Did nearly identical runs of approved vs non approved and the wear metals were significantly higher. Enough that I dumped the oil after getting the test results even though it only had 800 miles on it.
Switched back to approved and the metals fell back in line with expectations.

Ford doesn’t make oil, nor do the store brands. They are only specifying a minimum wear additive package. Many oils aren’t up to the task.

Either Amsoil is too tiny to have the testing done, or they are afraid of the results. Neither case gives me confidence to pay a premium for their marketing assertions. There are a lot of choices on that list.

I’m not going to run “lube-is-us” generics; on the list or not. I like premium products, I’m just not sold on it without some data to convince me.

If I hadn’t had the personal experience of increased wear metals, I would have been skeptical of a difference in good quality brand name products as well.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
IIRC it was the premium blue vs premium blue extreme.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Looked it up and yes the non extreme is a mineral oil so its no wonder it was higher in numbers.
There are plenty of Dino and Dino/Synth blends on the list. The spec is more about the wear additive package than the base stock.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
well according to blackstones test, amsoils two blends both had better wear and more additives across multiple platforms. So seems Amsoil has no problem meeting the standards since it surpases approved oils including valvoline. Like i said, they didnt want to be bound to the api and ford approvals.

I read the whole report and we come to different conclusions.

What I see is that Amsoil is not statistically different from the others.

Good yes; better... not really.

If it works for you then Great! If it perchance provides a marginal improvement in your 6.4, then all the better.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Idk those bar graphs are pretty nice... anyway, post 11 paragraph two. Just pointing out that just because it isnt on the list, doesnt mean it isnt any worse than oil thats on the list

1 - 20 of 35 Posts