Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fluid question

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Sinac 
#1 ·
I looked and could not find a straight answer. What fluid goes in the 4R100? Reason why I ask is because I'm thinking of doing a John Wood's V/B and in my shop we carry no less than 15 gallons of ATF at any given time. I work a lot with hydraulics so it is literally coming out of my ears. Anywho, I was wondering if ATF would be ok going into my transmission.

Thank you!

#3 ·
what is the brand most people run.
i.e. most people run Rotella in the motor. How about the tranny? I am doing the VB soon myself and want the same answer.

Eric

#4 ·
Swepco or Amsoil in the trans if it were me. Any other ATF will work fine, even walmart fuids.

#7 ·
What I have is a Kendall ATF Type F. The only reason why I would use it, if it is ok, is because it costs me literally nothing and I always have it in my shop.

#9 ·
I was specifically told by the Ford folks to not use Type F.
I think the main thing is to change it regular, like every 30K, to keep it clean and fresh.
Seems like when I did it with Amsoil it cost near $100 for the fluid and with regular oil it was closer to $50. Either way that’s a drop in the bucket to the cost of a new tranny.

#10 ·
I flushed my fluid after 25K of beating the piss out my trans and Blackstone said the fluid still had another 20-21K on it. And John Wood just laughed at me as he charged me the $224 for the Swepco racing fluid I run. He said I had thrown away perfectly good fluid. I think I learned a little from that lesson. Test first then change, not the other way around. Oh yah, and listen to the pros.....

#11 ·
Well that answers that question, thank you very much. Where is an easy site to order new fluid from?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.