Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wrestling with this for a good while now and swapped out any part I could think of that gives this symptom. I've had my 03 f250 6.0 to 2 different diesel shops and 1 dealer with nobody able to figure it out. I gave up for a while and just drove the truck but it haunts me. I can feel it and see it in the idle. I mostly notice it when I get off the freeway and sit at a red light. The RPM will fluctuate between 600-670. The ICP pressure does about the same with the RPM. IPR is usually at 24% sometimes 26% but the % doesn't repeat with the occurrence. I swapped the ICP and the connector since most of what I've seen and read point there. There pretty much isn't anything I haven't done other then an HPOP. Other then idle, the truck has no problems. Any obscure ideas or experiences out there would be appreciated. I'll try and link to the videos I took. You can just barely hear it but you can see the readings on my edge monitor. Does it in stock or tune.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
11,068 Posts
Did any of the shops do an injector contribution test? If so, please post the results.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did any of the shops do an injector contribution test? If so, please post the results.
They did and nothing looked bad. The graph looked pretty consistent. I'm going to take it in again maybe this week to see if they will put the IDS on it and see if anything has changed. It's so odd that it's smooth as can be after an oil change. I was going to test that out again but for the fact you can't get diesel oil from any stores right now. I ordered some motorcraft but thats going to take over a week as well.

·
11,068 Posts
Not that I am a huge advocate of it, but I would be seriously considering a stiction additive.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Truck goes in on Monday for a new steering box and I'm going to have them test the injector contribution also. I had a thought though. Is it possible the turbo could have an issue that's causing this. The solenoid is new but I noticed today that it started to fluctuate after the turbo did its cycle while at a light, then it stayed fluctuating for the next 6 signals. Almost like a miss but not, just enough that you can feel. Maybe a leak effecting oil psi? I don't know, I'm spitballing...I also look at throttle position on the monitor thinking maybe something funny was going on with the pedal, but no.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got a code for #7 injector. I swapped that this morning after driving to several Ford dealers in order to find one. No change in idle fluctuation. Ibalso noticed that the battery voltage fluctuates also when it acts up. Batteries are about 3 yr old Interstates. I do see a little wetness on the top of the batteries but everything I can think of now is a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just had another thought. I noticed that both my batteries are at 12.5v before starting . Then charges very slowly to come up. They have a little corrosion starting on all posts.I checked voltage further back on the post clamp and the wire itself and continuity was spotty. So maybe I have a intermittent ground fault that is enough to let the truck function at 90%. I'm swapping all the cables next week.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cables swapped out with better aftermarket along with added ground cable. Had 1 day of no issues and it looks back today. So I'm back to square one. No codes on either monitor other then a ignition key code. I believe it b1352. Here is today's fluctuation for anyone interested in battle.

·
11,068 Posts
Finally got a code for #7 injector. I swapped that this morning after driving to several Ford dealers in order to find one. No change in idle fluctuation. Ibalso noticed that the battery voltage fluctuates also when it acts up. Batteries are about 3 yr old Interstates. I do see a little wetness on the top of the batteries but everything I can think of now is a shot in the dark.
What I am wondering is how you suddenly get an injector code when supposedly the contribution test didn't show anything. I suppose electrical problems can come and go, but ..... Anyway, not doubting you, but wondering about the shop.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What I am wondering is how you suddenly get an injector code when supposedly the contribution test didn't show anything. I suppose electrical problems can come and go, but ..... Anyway, not doubting you, but wondering about the shop.
It's one of those things that it has to be acting up to see anything and I they would literally show me the ids as they were doing it. Then combine that with that fact that I've replaced everything under the sun that even remotely could be a possibility myself because it's like I'm chasing a gremlin.

·
Registered
2003 F350 ECSB
77 Posts
Puffing any black smoke out the pipe at idle?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Puffing any black smoke out the pipe at idle?
No smoke whatsoever ever. From all my searching, everything similar points to icp sensor or the pigtail and I attacked those already. Truck runs and drives great, just sometimes I get that idle up and down. Two times this week I acatually had a surge to 770 that I could feel and not just see.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts