Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 questions, so I'll keep them separate.

I am running 37" Toyo MT's on 22" rims. I think they look pretty good, but the tires MIGHT have another year on them if I'm gentle. I rotate them every oil change, but the wear on the outsides never goes away. The tread on the outside edge is about an 18th away from being gone (maybe slightly more) and the inside is looking decent. Can I have them taken off the rims and flipped? Is this a normal procedure? I've never done it in my pre-big tire days. ... Guy at local tire shop says to just keep them rotated, but I don't think its going to get me anywhere.

In a nutshell, is flipping tires a common practice?

Thanks
SJL

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
How's your alignment? could be causing the strange wear pattern and rotating tires just introduces the wear to all of them.

As for flipping them, I don't believe it is but hopefully someone from a shop can chime in.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My alignment is good. Its just that there are so many curves on my commute, the sides get worn extra quick, and the rear tires see alot of sideways force as well. So they start to wear on the edges like the fronts do. So normal rotation doesn't really help.

This wasn't so bad until they opened up a "shortcut" between my house and work. Its very very twisty road. Hilly too.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Aghh, gotcha, now I see the problem. Well, whether its a norm or not, I'm sure if you went to a tire shop and actually requested they remount them, they would. Probably charge you the cost of mounting a tire. May have to try a different shop if the one your going to keeps giving you the same rotate reply.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shop will do anything I ask them to. But I want to make sure I'm not asking them to do something totally unheard of, or off the wall.... And certainly don't want to do it if its a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
As long as the tire rotates the same direction, I can't imagine it being bad. I'd worry if they changed the rotation direction though.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
i did this with my old toyo's mt when i had them. i had the same problem out side lug was rounding from turning. and i had no issues with the tire from flipping them.:beer:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Are the tires directional? Are they raised white letters on one side and not the other?

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
I would go ahead and flip them. That is what I do with mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts