Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a BTS transmission back in 2009. I have put about 80,000 mile since then. About 6 months ago I was getting a lot of noise when idling or when costing. I was told it sounded like a cracked/broken flex plate. I took the truck to my local Diesel shop. It was the flex plate; it was broken into two pieces. One piece was attached to the crank while the outer piece was attached to the torque converter. It was driving the trans because of the shape of the crack.

Well about a month ago I started hearing a noise only when truck is first put in reverse after sitting. I have the truck back a at the diesel shop for something else and asked him to look at the noise.

He called me today too tell me the flex plate is “moving” and hitting the starter. He wasn’t sure why, he said if it was some related to the work they performed, they would take care of it. But said it could be the transmission pump or the crank moving. I don’t see how it could be either.

Has any one seen anything like this? It's a 2002 CCSWB F-350 7.3/automatic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I got on BTS's website and told my story. Thinking I might here back next week some time. Well my phone rang about 6:40 this evening. It was Brian from BTS. Now that's service.

I told him my story and he asked what size downpipe I was running. I told him I had the same shop put a new 4" exhaust on the truck. He asked which was done first. I told him the exhaust. The flex plate was changed after the exhaust was installed.

He believes when they removed the transmission they may have let the be motor supported buy the downpipe. He doesn't believe the the transmission or crank could be moving the flex plate.

He suggested loosening the downpipe and let it "relax" then tighten it back up. He thinks the downpipe may be hitting.
This kind of makes sense because it only does in reverse when it is cold.

I am going to mention this to the shop and see if they will do this. If they do and it solves the issue great. If they refuse or it doesn't fix the issue I'm just going to pick the truck up and look at it myself.

Brian also said he would talk to them if they give him a call. I doubt they will because I'm sure they don't need his input. LoL.

Brian also asked me to make sure I let him what the issue was after it is resolved.

So if anyone is in need of a transmission, you can't go wrong with BTS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I got the truck back today. The flexplate they installed back in July 2020 had 1/8" runout. It was a Ford OEM flexplate. They ordered another one and it had the same 1/8" runout.

They ordered one from the shop where they get their rebuilds from. (Sam's Wyns Transmission) They said it was SFI rated, didn't know the brand.

So they took care of this for no charge.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,536 Posts
nice to see folks getting help from reputable places. PS Same Wyse and BTS are the two most well-regarded custom transmission dealers in the 7.3l world. So it was funny that ford failed both and then a replacement was ordered from Sam Wyse haha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.