Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 F250 7.3 PSD. Just started today. Battery 'red' warning icon flashes intermittently while the battery charge rate indicator remains steady and at normal deflection.

If this means anything....I've had ignition key problems recently where the spring in the key return is binding and, after starting the engine I must 'help' the key back into the non-engage position and then all associated warning lites then have gone off. Batteries are relatively new; alternator about 5 years old.

Any suggestions??

Thanks, Tom

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
My battery light did that and my gauge looked alright, but i went and had the altanator tested and it was not charging. I would start there

·
Registered
153 Posts
yea it is the altanator mine went out about a month ago and light came on goin down the road and the meter never moved:thumb:

·
Registered
114 Posts
The meter is more of a volt meter so It wont drop until your battery's are dead. Or it will drop as your battery's are droping volts just not all at once. I have a short in a wire on top of my alt. I have to wiggle everyonce in awhile to make the red lite go off.

But I would guess your alt. is bad

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
yep alt, just happened twice in three months on mine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts