Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been coming up with ways to throw a large flame from my stack. reason being, im tired of dumbass kids around here. i got my truck egged and chased some kids down. im sure the 4 150W spotlights, loud stack and barking tires was enough to scare the hell out of them, but if i only had a LARGE flamethrower i probably could have made them cry. i want this truck to look like saitans child coming to eat somebodys face :nunu: so i thought about using a propane setup. possible, but i would have to have a big propane tank under the bed......not really what i want. i have a 35lb./hour fuel injector. i am thinking about hooking a pump directly to the injector (walbro 255LPH that i have laying around) no return line, no pressure regulator. just straight pump to injector. there are a couple of problems with this. 1. its risky to blow off a fuel line. it would take a lot of work to make this safe 2. i have to find a way to fit this in my stack. not to mention having a small tank for gas. i doubt diesel would ignite with a spark lug. another issue i have is ignition. on a gas engine, you can ust take the -contact on the coil and run it to another coild (switched) for a spark signal. obviously this is harder on a diesel. i either need a switch that when in the on position, it turns on and off really fast (some type of capacitor maybe?) or use an ignition module and rig it up to a pulse from the engine (CPS maybe?) to trick it into thinking its a gas motor running then send a signal to the coil. any thoughts other than "not safe" or "illegal" because i onestly dont care lol. if anyone has anything that could help. please let me know and ill keep posting progress on the project.
jeff
BTW ive made successful flamethrowers on gas motors before. obviously diesel will be a lot harder.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Sounds like somebody is going to have alot of fun in Aberdeen.

·
Registered
447 Posts
With my luck, I'd burn the truck to the ground!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
With my luck, I'd burn the truck to the ground!!!!
That’s exactly what I was thinking, I bet those punks with the eggs would have a good laugh at me trying to put my flaming purple truck out.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Man this sounds so extremely dangerous...

I've only seen flames come out of high performance diesel trucks but that's after their pull and everything is "winding down". Like double overtime for instance....Although, I'm sure he didn't build his engine for flames :p

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
your spark doesnt have to spark multiple times. it can stay a steady arc and not hurt any thing. so a coil rigged to a 12 volt switchable power source ran to a spark plug in the stacks should work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
yeah that sounds bout right someone posted pics of an obs a while back w/ 10 ft tall stacks r sumthinand they shot flames!

·
Registered
214 Posts
do it the same as a gasser with a coil on a switched 12v now for the fun of gettin fuel to the stacks you could use a old eather set up like the old log trucks had a line and a can push the tip down fuel goes out the zost

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i made the fuel system. i used my old walbro 255 pump and a 35# fuel injector. it will be hooked up so the injector opens and the pump kicks on at the same time. i tested it out and it works perfectly. i just need an ignition source. if you leave a constant 12v hooked up to a coil it doesnt spark untiul you shut the power off. you only get 1 spark. thats why i need a switch that pulses really fast. ive been thinking about it all night. i just need to make a trip to my local electronics shop and see what i can put together to make it happen. i need a capacitor to take in power and when it fully charges it needs to release the power, sending it to a relay. then recharge. im just not sure what it will require. ill do some more research. once i build this thing, i can start hooing it up in the truck. i wont stop until i see atleast 4 foot flames lol. with as much fuel that was shooting from the injector, i should be able to shoot a LARGE flame.

·
Registered
354 Posts
is there some way to make a remotely activated bbq lighter?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Here's a diagram you could use. I have not used this style though, I'm using Ford Model T Buzz boxes on my Buick.

Attachments

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
IM GONNA WATCH THIS ONE WHEN YOU GET IT FIGURED OUT LEMME KNOW I WANNA DO THIS TOO

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i got it!!!! so i spent months pondering for ideas. my buddy finally calls me up and tells me, he found light strobe controllers for cop cars. soooo, i simply hooked it up to a coil and it works great! so i took a fuel rail from my turbo 2.3 with 35# injectors, and used a walbro 255LPH pump, with a 36PSI regulator and return line. we mounted it in a 2.5" tube, and hooked an air line for the air compressor to the back. then we put the spark plug in the tip. we turned the air on and powered it up. holy ****!!! fire went everywhere! it was out of control! we tweake dit a little and attempted again, but fire came to the back of the tube, because raw gas was gushing out the end. it caught wires on fire, and i yanked the module out of the firy blaze. everything was fine, but then it knocked over the coffee can of gas that held the pump and up in floame it went. we got it out fine and everything was alright, but my pride was shot down. soooooo, we decided gas is just way too dangerous. so we scratched that idea. we took propane and shot it through the hole instead of the air compressor. it worked flawlessly. i ran the flamethrower for 20 minutes with no problem. i was able to crank it way up or have it barely burn. so now, im heading up to my buddys house, where i will try to make this all work in my 5" stack. ill post pics and maybe a video if all goes well. *disclaimer* dont try this at home, i am not liable for anyne trying to recreate this project in any way, shape or form. blah blah and all that other junk. wish me luck! :woot:

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
:popcorn2::flamethrower:This should be exciting.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
also want to see this, u should do a write up for the forum i dont doubt there is some ppl on here thatd loved to do it too

·
Registered
454 Posts
:popcorn2::flamethrower: :woot:

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
You have to show us a video of this. And then build kits for the rest of us and make a couple $$. This sounds sweet.
Craig

1 - 20 of 37 Posts