Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Sinister bypass filtration with their oil cap for a 5-6 years on both 6.0s. I've always used FL-2016s and never had an issue.

Today I tried to change the oil, and I can't screw the cap down all the way. I pulled it apart a few times, swapped o-rings, and finally realized the FL-2016 is slightly taller than the one it's replacing - maybe a little less than 1/16".

I had a second, also from O'Reilly and it too is longer. I bought a third from Autozone, and it's a hair shorter than the two from O'Reilly, but still longer than the one I'm replacing.

Sinister's a skeleton crew since it's Saturday, but the person I talked to said they've heard of this once or twice, and thought it wasn't a problem.

I gave it a try, tightened it as far as I could, which was probably 2/3rd a turn out from its normal position, cranked it up, and ... wait for it ... oil leak.

Anyone run into this before? Anyone changed their oil lately? :)

I'm debating yanking the bypass system and trying a stock cap - maybe it has a hair more tolerance, but figured I'd ask on here first.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
30,455 Posts
i run the fs2500 bypass cap and installed a oil filter from ford two weeks ago with no issues

·
Administrator
30,455 Posts
yes all OEM but you change the caps for the bypass filtration so you can run a hose out the center and to the bypass filter
I imagine the sinister cap is just a little different from an OEM and this is where the issue lies
My FS2500 mimics an OEM cap to the last detail so no issues

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,438 Posts
Just wanted to make sure the parts stores were giving MC and not 'their brand' due to the vaiables in sizes he listed.

The sinister cap would explain if nothing fit right.

·
Administrator
30,455 Posts
Honestly with the amount of pressure the cap can exert u would think the filter would compress 1/16

·
Premium Member
11,814 Posts
Honestly with the amount of pressure the cap can exert u would think the filter would compress 1/16
It will.

The filter (assuming OEM style) isn't stopping the cap from screwing down further. It's either lack of effort or an issue with the cap or housing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All Motorcraft FL-2016s. I'm way past the 18.5 ft/lbs spec ... I suspect I can go higher without a plastic cap, but certainly don't want to break anything.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I no longer run the bypass but still run the Sinister cap. Anyway I have never had an issue as of yet. Are you sure nothing is on the bottom of the housing plastic or piece of felt perhaps? Are you snapping the filter in the cap first? Based of you going and getting filters from different part stores I find it odd that they are not identical.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Put the cap on without the filter or o-ring to check for fit
then try with the o-ring
will the threads bottom out?

is your stand pipe broken?

Reactions: R&Rpowerstroke

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like most things, Occam's razor applies: operator error.

I walked out there this morning with a fresh perspective and immediately noticed the o-ring was in the wrong (bottom) slot ... why are there two, anyway??

Filter size difference was quite shocking, but a red herring.

Thanks for all the input. I'll get an ophthalmologist appointment scheduled.

·
Premium Member
11,814 Posts
Like most things, Occam's razor applies: operator error.

I walked out there this morning with a fresh perspective and immediately noticed the o-ring was in the wrong (bottom) slot ... why are there two, anyway??

Filter size difference was quite shocking, but a red herring.

Thanks for all the input. I'll get an ophthalmologist appointment scheduled.
Glad you got it figured out, but I'll repeat...
It's either lack of effort or an issue with the cap or housing.
🤣🤣

·
Premium Member
11,814 Posts
1 out of 3 ain't bad. Just ask the Braves. Unfortunately, they were 0 out of 3 and the Dodgers are in the series.

Reactions: ZMANN
1 - 16 of 16 Posts