Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
just wanted to introduce myself here. My name is josh and i live in Rincon, GA. I just recently picked up a 2003 Lariat crew cab 4x4 PSD for $3500. It needs some work and being new to the diesel truck world i hope i can gain the knowledge i need here while chronicling my journey towards a nice reliable truck. Thanks yall and have a good one!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Lets see some pictures.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
what kind of work?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Welcome to the site! Since it's a 2003, it could be a 7.3 or a 6.0. Do you know which engine is in it? Congrats on the new-to-you purchase! We will be here to help out with any questions you might have in the rebuild process. :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys. I threw up some pictures in a gallery. She's got the 6.0l. A couple cosmetic dings and dents. The guy i bought it from was the original owner and he put 159k on it so not too bad. He told me it was having injector trouble when he parked it 2 months ago. From what he described and what i have read so far maybe the FICM so i am getting the batteries fully charged and will try to figure out how to do the FICM voltage check. Also hopefully i can find something to read codes.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
3500 bucks feels like a steal to me lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep definitely a good price for the condition. Just hoping it will be some relatively simple fixes for the engine. I know these trucks can get expensive quickly. However even if i have to spend a few grand on it i figure i will still be ahead and have a truck with all the reliability issues already taken care of. Oh it also has the FX4 package.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I'm hoping it's something quick and easy. Here's a way to check FICM voltage with just a multimeter. Best of luck. :thumb:

LINK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks evil eye. That looks like a great writeup. Ill head out and test it once my batteries are finished charging and post up what the results are

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
No problem. BTW, your avatar pic is the way most of our trucks live their lives; with their hoods in the air! :hehe:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
lol mine doesnt. i raised my hood 1 time voluntarily and that was it. ( PLEASE DONT JINX MYSELF ) lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright so i took my batteries off the trickle charger and they were reading good at 12.8 volts. I peoceeded to do the FICM testing procedure. This truck has the 7 pin FICM. It tested at 48 volts with key on but as i crank the truck the voltage jumps all over the place. It ranged anywhere from 0-140. This doesnt seem correct and now the batteries are only reading in at 11.2 volts. Im thinking maybe low battery voltage is throwing off the readings? I pulled the batteries back out and i will take them down to the store to get tested. The trucks tries to start but immediately dies as soon as it starts up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright guys. Heres an update. Went and had my batteries tested at oriellys and one of them had a bad cell. Bought two new batteries and brought them back to install and do the FICM test again. The FICM is definitely bad. I get 48v with key on but as soon as you crank it voltage drops to about 17. Just finished pulling the FICM and now wondering what to do as far as repair. What are some different options out there? Opinions on 48v vs 50v? Also i noticed while pulling it that i have an EGR blockoff. What are some of the other main things i should be checking here as far as maintenance?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Go check out the 6.0 section. You will find an over whelming amount of information in there. Post up any questions you have in there and anyone will be glad to help.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Give ed at ficmrepair.com a shout. Great guy great service fast turn around and he can even have a php ficm tune burned to it.

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts