Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...took my first trip with the new truck...I pulled a 24' foot travel trailer (6,000 lbs.) about 200 miles. I averaged 70 mph with the A/C on and no real hills (in Florida) got about 12.5 miles per gallon. I have a F-250 with 3.73 rearend and totally stock 6.0L engine. The tuck has 20" wheels and FX4 package...is this gas mileage about right? I was expecting better only towing 6,000lbs??? Any advice or opinions welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
905 Posts
seems right to me. Even tho you are towing 6,000lbs you are still going to have pretty good wind resistance. i dont think thats to bad. what were your rpms at?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rpms were around 2000 steady...ran the cruise for a good bit. I pushed the tow/haul button and kept it in over drive. Is there ever a time I should not use over drive? I know when towing with my gas burner i could not even put it in over drive.

·
Registered
407 Posts
not to jack this thread but speaking of rpms, my 99 7.3 runs 50mph at 1500rpms in overdrive and runs at about 2100rpms at about 70mph. I believe i have 3.73 this sound right? (single cab single rear wheel f350)

·
Registered
905 Posts
over drive - a lot of guys say to not even pull anything in overdrive, but i think on all the newer trucks it is ok, but i am not 100% sure. I have an 03. And i pull in OD, but it all depends on the road, hills, speed limit, and wieght. I wouldnt worry to much about OD. just dont lug the heck out the truck. And back to milage, i would say thats ok on mpg, but i thought the 6.0s were suppost to do a little better than that..... A guy that hauls for us gets any where between 10-14 pulling 14-18k lbs. But that was before his truck started all the famous 6.0 problems.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Hey guys...took my first trip with the new truck...I pulled a 24' foot travel trailer (6,000 lbs.) about 200 miles. I averaged 70 mph with the A/C on and no real hills (in Florida) got about 12.5 miles per gallon. I have a F-250 with 3.73 rearend and totally stock 6.0L engine. The tuck has 20" wheels and FX4 package...is this gas mileage about right? I was expecting better only towing 6,000lbs??? Any advice or opinions welcome and appreciated.
Towing a 6000lbs brick, I think 12.5 is not half bad. Do you have an enclosed underbully on the trailer?
Talk to some of these guys about a programmer, That will get you better MPG's

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I get bout 18-19 empty at 65mph and bout 10.5 towing 12k

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Towing a 6000lbs brick, I think 12.5 is not half bad. Do you have an enclosed underbully on the trailer?
Talk to some of these guys about a programmer, That will get you better MPG's
No there is no enclosed underbelly on the trailer. A correction on my rpms...they were holding around 1800 at 70 and 2000 at 75. Just thought I would get better mileage...still unsure on teh over drive. I will continue to use it with the tow/haul button engaged...guess it will not matter...transmission is probably designed for it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bump...looking for more advice on using transmission when towing...any towing advice would be appreciated...

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
not to jack this thread but speaking of rpms, my 99 7.3 runs 50mph at 1500rpms in overdrive and runs at about 2100rpms at about 70mph. I believe i have 3.73 this sound right? (single cab single rear wheel f350)
well I have a 2000 7.3 and at 70 the rpms are at around 2300 with 4:10 gears so i think that's about right. IF we are both talking factory wheel/tire size, I am.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I get
12 to 12.5 towing 7000lbs trailer daily around town
About 10 towing 10,000lbs boat. 65 to 75 mph
15 empty around town
15 empty 75mph trip
17.5 empty 65mph trip
:dunno:

Train horns should be here on the 15th.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I get 18-19mpg empty and about 14mpg towing 7k lbs at 65mph.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The mileage seems to be normal to me. I don't know why but I never checked my mileage while towing until I bought a Diesel? I was always told that anytime you tow or haul anything with some weight to it you should just push your tow/haul button and keep it in overdrive. I have learned that while pulling my 8000 lb camper that my truck will not shift into overdrive unless I back way out of the throttle. In overdrive it will run at about 1800 rpm under load. If I don't let it shift into overdrive the rpm's stay around 2500-2600 rpm's.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Slow down to 60-65 and your mpg will go up. I get 10 pulling a trailer.:dunno:

Also, to all pulling a trailer, NEVER put your cruise on while pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
bump...looking for more advice on using transmission when towing...any towing advice would be appreciated...
Pop in the tow/haul button and go to town.:thumb: That is all the advise needed.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Also, If you feel like spending a little coin, Get a 4" exhaust system. I recommend MBRP Turbo back. It will prolong the life of your turbo, By keeping the EGT's down.
There are plenty of thing's to do to enhance your towing experience. But if your load is only around 6K. There is nothing that I feel is a must besides the basics.
Oil/filter changes
Fuel Filters
Clean air filter
Tranny flushes

By the way. Did you say this is your first diesel:dunno:. If not sorry for the unneeded info.
What kind of trailer do you have?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I find the cruise control tries to accelerate at inappropriate times going around curves and up hills. Any other reasons to avoid it while towing?
If something happens.....that 2 seconds you take to react is all it takes for you to melt your motor down. Need to be in total control 100% of the time and watching all of your numbers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also, If you feel like spending a little coin, Get a 4" exhaust system. I recommend MBRP Turbo back. It will prolong the life of your turbo, By keeping the EGT's down.
There are plenty of thing's to do to enhance your towing experience. But if your load is only around 6K. There is nothing that I feel is a must besides the basics.
Oil/filter changes
Fuel Filters
Clean air filter
Tranny flushes

By the way. Did you say this is your first diesel:dunno:. If not sorry for the unneeded info.
What kind of trailer do you have?

Yes this is my first diesel. The trailer is a 24' travel trailer...nothing fancy or heavy. Being my first diesel I am always wanting info and trying to learn all I can about it. So far I love the diesel motor!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts