Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time towing, not impressed. UPDATE 10-20-09

I pulled a 2000lb trailer today with the truck in my sig.

I was not impressed. Am I asking too much?

I towed around 60-65 mph at @1700-1900 rpm in 6th gear, going up hills at times. I really had to be deep in the throttle to maintain speed up the hills. Not sure how much boost I saw. Guages are next.

The truck is totally stock except air filter.

Is this normal for a totally stock truck in 6th? I think I would have been at 2500 rpm or so in 5th if I had tried it.

I can't imagine pulling an enclosed car hauler at 7500lbs given what I saw today.

It was better than my 5.3L Avalanche, but not what I expected given that people say "you won't even know it's there". I will say that I am still adjusting to the fact that a diesel makes so much more noise than a gas motor you are more aware of what the truck is doing. Seems like it's working hard when it might not be.

·
Registered
33 Posts
from what i have found, they are happiest while towing between 2000 and 2500 rpms.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from what i have found, they are happiest while towing between 2000 and 2500 rpms.

Yeah I would have no problem doing that in 6th if i had been on better roads with higher speed limits.

Coulda used 5th though. Didn't think I would need it for 2k lbs.

By listening to people, my expectations were very high. Most of those people presumably had tuners or chips and more power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
with a trailer at only 2000# you were right stock or not you shouldn't even feal it! diesel motors are made to run high rpm all day, but sounds to me like you might have a boost leak. I would check the air to air conection hoses (blue or orange) it only takes a pin hole to drop your boost, if they havent been wash off really good you might see oil on them, thats a good sign they are leaking

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
7.3's don't really build much boost until they get over 2k RPM's. You won't feel the trailer so much, with the boost up. With no boost, my truck is a dog towin on grades. With our 32' camper, I just gotta make sure I get into it on the flat and build a little speed to get my RPM's and boost up. If I do that at 77-78 (2400ish RPM's) I only use about half throttle, and the EGT's stay under 1200*.

If I try a grade at 70 (1900ish RPM's), I'm on the floor and the temps get kinda scarry. 13-1400*

·
Registered
900 Posts
Well I live on a farm I pull wagons to the elevator only going about 25mph in four high. When I go on the scales with the truck and 2 full grain wagons It weighs 50,000 pounds trust me it works the truck. but I would think 2000 would be easy to pull. My dad also pulls these and his truck is the same as mine but stock.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Try it in 5th. No boost with that little of the weight made it feel heavier than it actually is. If it weighed something you'd see some boost. I pulled a 4500 trailer with my 60hp tow mode and had to change it back up to 80 hp econ it seemed to light.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
7.3's don't really build much boost until they get over 2k RPM's. You won't feel the trailer so much, with the boost up. With no boost, my truck is a dog towin on grades. With our 32' camper, I just gotta make sure I get into it on the flat and build a little speed to get my RPM's and boost up. If I do that at 77-78 (2400ish RPM's) I only use about half throttle, and the EGT's stay under 1200*.

If I try a grade at 70 (1900ish RPM's), I'm on the floor and the temps get kinda scarry. 13-1400*
That's what I experienced. Foot seemed close to the floor if rpms got too low. The turbo in mine seemed to build boost around 17-1800 rpm. Also I think having a load did make it easiser to build boost in the low gears.

I am going to install gauges before the next time I tow. I will be pulling between 5500 and 7500 lbs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try it in 5th. No boost with that little of the weight made it feel heavier than it actually is. If it weighed something you'd see some boost. I pulled a 4500 trailer with my 60hp tow mode and had to change it back up to 80 hp econ it seemed to light.
What do you mean that it seemed too light? Like the 60hp setting wasn't getting it done?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Couldn't.

2 lane roads. Was going to get the trailer tagged. All the lights on the trailer weren't working either. Cop magnet.

Got the lights fixed and the trailer has a tag now. Felt better on the way home. Normally on the roads I drive, I could have done 70-75.

·
Registered
956 Posts
No it just seemed unnecesary. It did very well with the 80hp econ and everything was staying cool. If it seemed heavier or that the temps started going up I'd turned it down a little but it did very well.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
subscribed.

EDITED FOR CLAIRTY: Remember, diesels are totally different animals. They dont have torque of-idle like v8's (they still have MORE torque off the line.. but due to turbo lag, it feels slower), but once they start gaining a few rpm's and a few pounds of boost, they move.

At 2,000lbs you SHOULDN'T have even noticed it there unless you baby it and stay out of boost

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I tow my enclosed 8000-8500lbs and even with my chip in stock setting i can drag that thing all over the place.. but i rarely run under 2000rpm drop into 5th next time at 1500-1800 you are making essentially no boost your luggin the truck.. If i run 70mph in 6th I am making about 9psi and if you just slightly push the throttle the boost climbs and you move no issues at all

·
Registered
298 Posts
6th gear is OVERDRIVE. Plain and simple, if you want to have power you have to have the RPMs up around 2000 at least. The cure for your issue here is 5th or even 4th.
Remember, your using only 180-200 HP at those RPMs..Torque is how much you can move, HP is how FAST you can do it..
When i first got my 550, I loaded up a cord of green oak firewood and headed out. The first small grade had me thinking I bought a truck with a junk turbo..it wheezed up that small hill like it had a straight six. Come to find out...my GCVW with the firewood was up around 18,000 pounds...not to mention the 4x4 driveline drag, the big aggressive tires, and the huge wind catch of the dump..Now I know that loaded I need to build steam for hills.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tow my enclosed 8000-8500lbs and even with my chip in stock setting i can drag that thing all over the place.. but i rarely run under 2000rpm drop into 5th next time at 1500-1800 you are making essentially no boost your luggin the truck.. If i run 70mph in 6th I am making about 9psi and if you just slightly push the throttle the boost climbs and you move no issues at all

Chris I appreciate you chiming in. Your truck is where I am headed performance mod wise.

There is no way mine would've been dragging anything (at 8k lbs) if I had the rpms up at 2000. Just wouldn't be night and day diff.

2500 yeah np. It definitely gets stronger above 2000.

One reason I let it lug was that Ford claims the truck makes 500 ft lbs at 1600, which I fealt was plenty of torque to not lose speed. I was also building some speed for hills. Learned that lesson a few years ago.

Also, I have to get gauges so i know what's going on. I had a mustang several years ago with a supercharger. If I had seen 20-25 psi of boost like some on here have with their PSDs, I would've needed 116 octane gas and extra head gaskets. So, I'm timid about getting on it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
my truck is a dog in overdrive as well, i got a 97 with a 5 speed though.part of my problem was i had 35's and 3.55 gear ratio in the rear end.towing in 5th doesnt happen unless im on the flats.when i tow now i stick it in 4th running around 2500 somewhere around 70mph,she has plenty of power there.i do have to admit that when i had the bigger tires,i was towing 5k up the skyway bridge here in florida and it held 70 in 5th gear all the way up.keep in mind thats considered overdrive for me.i was impressed to say the least.so i would def advise to tow in your 5th gear and stay up above 2400 in hilly areas.i would use 6th for the flats and cruise at 2k rpms then.goodluck

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Chris I appreciate you chiming in. Your truck is where I am headed performance mod wise.

There is no way mine would've been dragging anything (at 8k lbs) if I had the rpms up at 2000. Just wouldn't be night and day diff.

2500 yeah np. It definitely gets stronger above 2000.

One reason I let it lug was that Ford claims the truck makes 500 ft lbs at 1600, which I fealt was plenty of torque to not lose speed. I was also building some speed for hills. Learned that lesson a few years ago.

Also, I have to get gauges so i know what's going on. I had a mustang several years ago with a supercharger. If I had seen 20-25 psi of boost like some on here have with their PSDs, I would've needed 116 octane gas and extra head gaskets. So, I'm timid about getting on it.
once you have gauges in you can get a better idea as to whats goin on, if you have a boost leak it will make it a dog as well and it wont make boost very well ..

1 - 20 of 51 Posts