Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I just bought a new for me 2004 Ford F-250, 6.0L Turbo, Super Cab. It has 233,000 miles. I started a thread in the motor problems section when it died on me after highway driving. Could not get it started, had it towed and a couple days later started right up. I do not have it on the road right now so I am trying to make sure it is road worthy while I have the convenience of a spare vehicle. I have done just about everything on all my vehicles, brake, fuel injectors, head gasket, water pump, etc. However, they are all gas. So, in my new adventure here I was looking for some advice on what I can/should do for a diesel. Whenever I bought a new gas vehicle, I would change the oil, check spark plugs, coolant, etc.

First thing I plan to do is change the oil/filter and fuel filters. Are there other things I should be doing?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
As a first time diesel owner, you need to learn some things about the 6.0. From your post, I'm assuming you didn't know much about these trucks prior to owning it. Well, you're about to learn the good, the bad, and the down right ugly truth. these trucks can be your best friend and your best enemy. My first suggestion to any 6.0L owner is get a monitor like the torque pro app for Android phone users or a ScanGauge. It's crucial to keep an eye on temps, voltages, and the elusive oil system. Next, take a day, and a big bag of popcorn and go look up Diesel Tech Ron on YouTube. He is a good go to source for all types of issues that were common for the 6.0L. You might find yourself having nightmares of all that can go wrong afterwards, but, if you keep up maintenance, and for God's sake, get a monitor, you can catch a lot of issues before they turn into catastrophes. This site also is a good source for a lot of info, and the service manual for the engine and the 6.0 "bible" can be found in the sticky section. On a positive note, these trucks can be made rock solid once certain repairs/upgrades are done.

Good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. No experience other than my brother's 03 F350. I am sure I will be cursing and praising depending on the day.

For monitor. I have an Apple not an Android. I do have a USB ODB2 connector cable to connect my laptop. I downloaded ForScan to the laptop and will connect this afternoon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. No experience other than my brother's 03 F350. I am sure I will be cursing and praising depending on the day.

For monitor. I have an Apple not an Android. I do have a USB ODB2 connector cable to connect my laptop. I downloaded ForScan to the laptop and will connect this afternoon.
Hit post too quick.

Can you recommend repairs/upgrades?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked oil and it is overfull. I then found a link to a TSB "TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: FORD POWERSTROKE 6.0 L – RUNS ROUGH AND/OR LOW POWER – INJECTOR DIAGNOSTICS"....this seems to be similar to the issue I am facing.

Instead of going through all the diagnostics, should I assume there is a leaky injector? If I do that, should I buy the O-ring kits and just rebuild the injectors to see if that fixes the problem? The reason I ask this is that I do not have the special tools they call for in the TSB. I have time and the kits are relatively cheap. I hate to throw parts at issues, but, sometimes it seems to be the easier path.....

Any thoughts on that?????

·
Registered
267 Posts
Most of the time from what I have observed on this forum unless you are well verse in rebuilding these injectors you are much better off just ordering new or reman ones. I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be chiming in soon

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't rebuild them. My advice is not to assume anything. You need to get a monitor. Do some research. Look at Diesel Tech Ron's videos.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Never "assume" anything, especially with a 6.0.

249 Posts
I ordered my workshop manual (complete repairs manual vehicle specific) from helm inc.
I prefer paper vs electronics when working on my vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did some research and figured I would start by taking the driver side injectors out and see if they show signs of leaking. I watched some Diesel Tech Ron videos. I also watched a whole bunch of others, wow, some great advice there.

Anyway, in the tips and tricks for injector replacement, Ron suggests looking at and inspecting the oil stand pipe and dummy plug. As you can see below in the pic, the dummy plug has a failed nylon ring. I am not positive this would cause fuel to enter oil, but, I plan to replace it anyway. Going to replace the O-rings on the injectors while I have this apart as well. Once I get it back together I will change the oil and keep a close eye on the oil level.

I will report back as soon as I have some information. Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions.

Attachments

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,978 Posts
A dummy plug o-ring failure isn't going to cause fuel to be in the oil, but fuel in the oil can cause issues w/ oil system o-rings - especially in the high-pressure oil system. It can also cause some issues with turbo bearings if it gets too high of a concentration and if it is left too long.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. I guess I will replace the entire dummy plug. The ford parts only show the dummy plug with orings and nylon ring.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Again. 1st and foremost, you need a monitor to see what's going on with the truck. If nothing shows up on the monitor then a lot of possibilities will be eliminated and you can go from there.

k

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree and plan to monitor. Before driving it too much I figured I should change the oil since it is contaminated. Then I figured before I did that I would take a look at the injectors.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,978 Posts
You did download ForScan Lite didn't you? That will work fine for a monitor. Although I do like to have a continuous view of engine parameters when driving, it isn't absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I did download ForScan Lite. I have the USB/OBD2 adapter that will connect to my laptop. I think I can use logging to record the data while driving.

I guess I didn't really explain my thought process. My first and foremost thought was to get the oil that is in there out. I am not sure it has fuel in it, but, it sure smells like it and it is overfull. Once I know there is the correct amount of fresh oil in the engine I will drive and keep a close tab on the level and keep a close watch on monitors. I figured it would be cheap insurance to start out with what I know is 100% oil.

249 Posts
I did some research and figured I would start by taking the driver side injectors out and see if they show signs of leaking. I watched some Diesel Tech Ron videos. I also watched a whole bunch of others, wow, some great advice there.

Anyway, in the tips and tricks for injector replacement, Ron suggests looking at and inspecting the oil stand pipe and dummy plug. As you can see below in the pic, the dummy plug has a failed nylon ring. I am not positive this would cause fuel to enter oil, but, I plan to replace it anyway. Going to replace the O-rings on the injectors while I have this apart as well. Once I get it back together I will change the oil and keep a close eye on the oil level.

I will report back as soon as I have some information. Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions.

On that nylon ring, if I’m not mistaken, I believe that cut is supposed to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts