Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im new to the forum and diesels in general. I know basic knowledge about psd's but looking at buying my first. Looking at a 95 f250 xlt ext.cab long bed 4x4. 276k runs good, told there are no leaks and is mechanically sound. Everything works, ac, cruise, windows and locks. Body is solid, only rust is on the rockers..has new fenders and a newer bed. Has a few dents on the side of the bed but nothing real bad. The deal is 4k out the door. Thinking its a pretty good deal but I like to get lots of opinions before I make a purchase. Feel free to speak your .02! :thumb:

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
662 Posts
just make sure you check the front end..with it being a 250 that means it has ttb front..unless someone has changed it out..thats a good deal tho..down here in the south with the rust it would be worth about 3k but thats because none of them are rusted down here. when i got my dually the guy wanted 6500. and thats with 317k miles. but it is 5 speed and crew cab XLT.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks for the tip. What exactly is bad with the front ends? I havent done any research on it...what should I look for?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
496 Posts
the very first thing "I" would look at, under the truck, is the rear leaf spring hangers. they are the USUALLY one of the first things that rot. factory ones have rivets, so if they have bolts on them you know they have been changed. thats not a bad thing- just something to make you want to pay attention

id avoid anything with mechanical issues, and if you dont know much about these trucks it might be worth bringing it to someone that does.. diesels can be great but can be expensive as hell to fix. the thing can be running on 7 injectors and you would probably never even know it.

also- make sure someone checks the turbo impeller for play. its very easy to get to, only a hose clamp or two. there should not be ANY movement in it. if there is, the turbo will need rebulding/replacing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, I will be taking someone who knows alot about diesels. im just kinda worried about the miles..i know 7.3's will run much longer than 275k but its a lot of mileage that im not sure the details of. it does have a clean car fax, shows some maintenance, just basic oil change, tranny service. not all the records show bc there wernt all done by a dealer...most people do there own.

·
Registered
496 Posts
yes, I will be taking someone who knows alot about diesels. im just kinda worried about the miles..i know 7.3's will run much longer than 275k but its a lot of mileage that im not sure the details of. it does have a clean car fax, shows some maintenance, just basic oil change, tranny service. not all the records show bc there wernt all done by a dealer...most people do there own.
yea i know what you mean. personally thats too many miles for me.. my view on the matter is there are alot more fish in the sea. properly maintained - im sure that motor can see another 100,000 miles, but sometimes people tend to forget that there is a 17 yr old truck, just like any other one with a gas motor, wrapped around that engine..

pride of ownership comes into play on a forum like this, so keep that in mind too.. i have days when i love my truck - and alot when i hate it.. sometimes i feel like im "convincing" myself its a great truck, and thats hard - having dumped thousands of dollars into something most other people think im stupid for even owning.. $2,500 in repairs this year, a new front end last year, dealing with crooked mechanics that think your gonna hand over a blank check just cause its a diesel.. its hard too when its something u depend on. if i wasnt so close to my job - and able to bum rides to work when i need them, id have no choice but to get rid of this thing. take today for example.. im lucky i have my truck back a month or 2 - after a month and a half long hassle. i go out this morning and the thing wont start, so i just brought home 2 new batteries - add another $230..

anyway - dont let my black cloud sway you - just make sure if you buy one of these, thats its a good one. no suprises.. good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts