Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

First post new truck,looking for some thoughts

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jake6.0 
#1 ·
Okay so just purchased a 1988 4x2 idi with a zf5,the truck has 96k original miles one owner before me. Spent all day yesterday removing the p.o. scary wiring for trails brakes lights cb radio and air horn that none of wich worked.

Now that that's buttoned up moving on tok new problems passenger side valve cover gasket is gone should i use mahle or fel-pro is fine? Also the e-brake barely works I'd I put it in first and let the clutch out a bit pulse right through it , cable seems tight any thoughts?

Next is oil pan is a little crusty any suggestions on how to carefully attack that without making new leaks.

Last thing that I can think of is oil change, no idea what he had in it for oil at all ,I. Still own a 97 powerstroke I've had for a few years wich is for sale now ,anyway I always put 5w40 synthetic rottella in it never had any issues I live in mass btw. People seem scared of synthetic and even 5w40 it seems I've been told 10w30 would also be fine. Question is am I alright using my normal 5w40 t6 I still have 2-3gallons i wouldn't have to buy if so.

Sorry for the really long post just wanted to try to get it all in. Thank you so much for any help. Any question I'll be happy to ask

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm a Powerstroke guy, so the only thing I can answer is the oil pan question. I've repaired some pretty bad rust with POR-15 paint and newspaper. I had rust on the bottom. Scraped and wire wheeled the rust. Drained the oil, cleaned the crap out of the area with carb cleaner. Let it drain and dry for a day or two. painted the POR-15 paint on it, covered it with strips of news paper. Then painted the paper so it was totally soaked with paint. That stuff dried in a day and lasted YEARS.

Side question, how do you like the older IDI? I'm looking for a truck for one of my sons. Found a few early 90's IDIs pretty in-expensive. How slow are they compared to the Powerstroke? Also, I'm not sure I'd like to have to learn how to work on a different fuel delivery system.....

Thanks

#4 ·
Side question, how do you like the older IDI? I'm looking for a truck for one of my sons. Found a few early 90's IDIs pretty in-expensive. How slow are they compared to the Powerstroke? Also, I'm not sure I'd like to have to learn how to work on a different fuel delivery system.....

Thanks
The IDI fuel system is so simple it's comical. One wire....literally one wire to make it run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.