Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.

My truck is getting close to its first oil change. Im wanting to go to a full synthetic oil. I was wondering if anyone was running the motorcraft 5w40 full synthetic? How does this oil hold up? If you dont like motorcraft do you run rotella, mobile 1 or valvoline oil.

Thanks for your input Brad

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have only changed my oil once, second change is coming up due now. But I went with rotella T6 full synthetic and a motorcraft filter. No complaints here, but I'm only at 13xxx miles

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have a 2011 and use Amsoil 5w40, changing every 20K miles and samples to Blackstone. All samples good and went from 15K to 20K due to high base number at 15K. Have 70,000 on truck.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Amsoil here. 15k oil changes.. No issues at all.

·
Registered
161 Posts
rotella T6 with a motorcraft filter for me.

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
I ran Valvoline Premium Blue in my 6.0 and my 6.4 and plan to switch my 6.7 over to it soon. Back when I had my 6.0 I heard some guys had issues with their trucks running the Rotella, since I was interested in it, so I went to the Valvoline. No regrets, actually believe the trucks ran better on it over the stock motorcraft

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just joined this Forum a few min ago after reading all the great stuff for weeks. Thanks for making me want to join and post.

On my 2nd 6.7, have 1,000 miles; "struggling" with same question as OP, have been debating to convert now to Motorcraft 5w40. Used Rotella T6 Full Syn 5w40 in my '13 F-350 (truck loved it and engine smooth, even quieter than normal) up thru 17k when I traded to the '14. Only thing I wonder about is if there was any connection between the frequent regens with the Rotella, like every 200 miles or less in my '13. On current truck, has yet to go into regen mode.

So like OP, wondering to switch to Motorcraft 5w40-not finding lot of feedback on the Motorcraft, lots of good reviews about the Rotella and Valv Prem Blue.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well if it's any consolation I just had the dealer do my first change at 2400 miles and went with the Motorcraft 5-40 full synthetic. I plan on sticking with that oil, but will never have a dealership do it for me again if I can help it.

$214.93 for 13 qts and the filter.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You guys changing to synthetic, are you doing your oil changes less frequent?

I have 29k on my 2013 f250 and its been perfect just using conventional oil and changed at 5000-6000. I have a 100k mile warranty and it can be voided if oil changes aren't done within every 7500 miles, so just wondering if changing to synthetic is really worth it with the frequency of my changes. If my truck was out of warranty or modded to the point it was already voided then I would definitely change to synthetic and do it every 10k+.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I run 5w40 t6 synthetic and still change every 5k miles. To me its just a piece of mind, but i bring my oil to the dealer for them to service just so i have proof in case of a warranty issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm running synthetic and I'm still going to do mine every 7000 miles. As mentioned before, its just a piece of mind for me. And I just keep all my documents and receipts incase I need to make a warranty claim.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
340 Posts
You guys changing to synthetic, are you doing your oil changes less frequent?

I have 29k on my 2013 f250 and its been perfect just using conventional oil and changed at 5000-6000. I have a 100k mile warranty and it can be voided if oil changes aren't done within every 7500 miles, so just wondering if changing to synthetic is really worth it with the frequency of my changes. If my truck was out of warranty or modded to the point it was already voided then I would definitely change to synthetic and do it every 10k+.

Since it's fresh Motorcraft5-40 syn I'm going to see how long it takes for the oil change reminder to come on. Kind of a test.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Since it's fresh Motorcraft5-40 syn I'm going to see how long it takes for the oil change reminder to come on. Kind of a test.
If you plan on keeping your warranty intact, I still wouldn't suggest or risk going over 7500, which I'm pretty sure you still won't get a notification for.

I have an appointment to get my oil changed tomorrow at 8 a.m. As mentioned, I have 29,000 and my truck runs great off conventional oil (non-synthetic)

I called to set up my appointment this morning and really trust my service writers knowledge. I asked about synthetic pricing differences and he had to go check and talked to some of the other guys at the Ford Dealership I go to. He got back on the phone and said since I change my oil as often as I do, not to even bother with synthetic. He is typically a "above and beyond" kind of guy in regards to routine maintenance, so I was pretty surprised to hear this, as it's more $ for them and something he could have likely sold me on.

I'll probably switch to synthetic once I hit around 100k and my warranty is up and I switch to 10k mile oil changes likely.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I use Rotella T6 and a purolator filter, due for my second change here almost at 10k

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just talked to my dealer and looks like I'm going to be using them for my changes. Can't beat $75-79 for it. That's with motorcraft 15w40 I think

Brett

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just talked to my dealer and looks like I'm going to be using them for my changes. Can't beat $75-79 for it. That's with motorcraft 15w40 I think

Brett
If that's true, and it's 13 qts of Motorcraft 5-40 full syn that's a great deal.

Again, not that I'm jaded or anything, but I paid 214$ down here in Arkansas, and only 25 of that was labor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts