Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i just bought this truck on june 9th with 39,000 miles on it ....yes a 6.0L
since then i have had couple morning where the glow plug light went off but it still acted like i just went to town cranking on it for 2seconds or 3secs. after couple of those days my radio read "low battery" but started VERY doubting. i have made 2 trips to the parts store to have my battery tested and once to the me*****s that i work with. each time the batteries were 12.30-12.48 and real close to each over in volts. the guy at the parts store tested the cold cranking amps and still said there is no problems with my batteries.

so now after parking the truck last night about 7pm.I it will not start now at 1:30pm WTF! the drivers side battery is reading 12.37v and the passenger battery is at 12.39v. i can hear the glow plug relay click off, and the relay for the starter but there is no truning over.....what gives?

my questions?

-could the battery have over charged so one cell is dead but others are holding a charge for a misreading of the voltmeter?

-could it be a relay? some where i am not thinking about?

food for thought...

i just put the powerstroker.org sticker on my back window this morning, could it be taking the volts before it gets to my starter? (i am joking)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just crawled under the truck and i fit!!!!!( unlike the 03 1500 2wd!)

check the connections on the starter they are tight, the starter isn't locked either.

checked the batteries while being cranked on.

the drivers side dipps to 7.7v while the passenger side dips to 9.8

do you think maybe jus the drivers side battery is junk? and hte passenger side is trying to make up for the lost volts?

i popped the fillers on the driverse side and the cell closest to the firewall is a little low the others are full. i am about to go check the passenger side..

---i think it is a battery issue...they dipped pretty low..

anyone else??

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sounds like batteries to me... 7.7v is not helping much... so your down to 1 1/2 batteries. I would also check for voltage down to the starter - that would verify relays, etc. I would also check the starter for current draw on start up. Thats the best way to verify a bad starter.

When you do get a battery - I highly highly highly suggest the Optima line of batteries.

Gene

·
Registered
109 Posts
Take a hammer and beat the starter to get the bruches to move and then try starting it while you are beating on it. If it starts then it is your starter going bad and the brushes are getting worn out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That works... but don't bash the starter... otherwise, if you bash the starter and it still doesn't start, then you need a new starter AND the batteries....

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
You didnt go to autozone did you???? those guys are Idots and if it doesnt say it on there precious little computer then to them it does not exsist. I would try new batteries first and TAP on the starter dont beat it with a bag of WTF. If it is stuck it will just take alittle to get it back to starting. If you get it started bring it over and ill pull the codes!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah its a good test.... but the emphasis is on the "tapping" the starter, not beating... just don't want people to do more harm than good.

This also works for marginal fuel pumps, btw. But please note - if you tap tap tap the starter and the truck starts - that was your last "free" start. Go get a new starter put in. Right then. I have known people that get in the habit of trying to start their truck repeatedly by tapping the starter.... after a while, it won't work anymore!

Gene

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Yeah its a good test.... but the emphasis is on the "tapping" the starter, not beating... just don't want people to do more harm than good.

This also works for marginal fuel pumps, btw. But please note - if you tap tap tap the starter and the truck starts - that was your last "free" start. Go get a new starter put in. Right then. I have known people that get in the habit of trying to start their truck repeatedly by tapping the starter.... after a while, it won't work anymore!

Gene
Yes if you get it to start from taping on it GO GET A STATER THEN.

This brings up a stupid thing that I feel the need to tell you about. My Mother inlaw has a 1980's benz POS that I hauled back from cali to oklahoma (its the white one in my parking lot) Ther flywheel had some teeth broke off so to get it to turn over you had to crawl under and trun the flywheel with a flat head. Well the day I went to load it up on the trailer I crawled under this car and stuck a flat head on the teeth to move it. The key was on and the starter solenoid was also stuck on. When I moved the flywheel it freed up the starter and turned the engine over and sucked my screw driver up into the bell housing spun the screw driver around the bell housing and stabed me in the arm on the way out. That was my head up my azz day.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay it is a arick vent minute!

on june 14th i started my first thread about the glow plug light and how i still have to crank on it for some time before it would start up.

here is my #1 post on the site. 5 DAYS AFTER I GOT MY TRUCK FROM THE DEALER.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/95083-wait-start-light.html

well no on day 46 i just put two new batteries in the truck (love the truck don't get me wrong!) well once i got them to the part store they used their pretty cool computer on them. it said 10.4v one cell is dead, the other read the same. so the guy took off the tops of both of them and some one added a UNbalance of Electra Lights and water to it and it ate pits and the edge off the top bar going across the inside of the battery.

i am gussing but i am pretty sure this has been a problem, maybe caused by the dealerships mechs to get it started and out the door!

but it is fix now so i am a happy diesel burning person.:nod:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well it is fixed and fires right up as soon as the glow plug light is out. it is what i thought it should be like wheni test drove it....but our work trucks are older so they took just as long...so i went with it.....i am in a better mood now thanks guys.

You didnt go to autozone did you????
no i have 2 buddies that are working at advance....and they are heavy diesel mech full time for the navy.

and colt when did that flywheel beat you up? and did you press charges on sanp-on for the stabbing ?

When you do get a battery - I highly highly highly suggest the Optima line of batteries.
Gene
i went with your seggestion for the optima, but they had a Autocraft Titanium Battery that had 250 cold cranking amps more and still carried the 36 month no? replacement with a 84month prorated warrenty. + it was cheaper.

Titanium Battery by Autocraft - Part 2040468 - Advance Auto Parts

That works... but don't bash the starter... otherwise, if you bash the starter and it still doesn't start, then you need a new starter AND the batteries....
my buddy had a 86' s-10 that we had to fire up by beating the starter with a 4 cell maglight. + plus it died one time when we were deer hunting freezing cool, no cell phone so we got that piece of poo fired up with lighter fluid :)

and colt when did that flywheel beat you up? and did you press charges on sanp-on for the stabbing ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts