Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first i do a fuel pump. and in the long run after 2 hours i realized i had my wires backwards then she runs all is good.

took her for a ride and now i have CLOUDS of smoke coming out of my stack. drilled a hole in the bottom of the pipe and oil started coming out. not only am i fumed i really dont feel like lifting the cab of my truck just to take my turbo off

·
Registered
797 Posts
You don't have to take the cab off to do the turbo? I've seen a handful of installs and up-pipe replacements and all were with the cab on.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
375 Posts
first i do a fuel pump. and in the long run after 2 hours i realized i had my wires backwards then she runs all is good.

took her for a ride and now i have CLOUDS of smoke coming out of my stack. drilled a hole in the bottom of the pipe and oil started coming out. not only am i fumed i really dont feel like lifting the cab of my truck just to take my turbo off
Do you really need to lift the cab to take your turbo off?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
lol you dont need to lift a cab to swap turbos. What are "upgraded sticks (a lil above stock)"? Where did you drill a hole and see all the oil pour out of? The stack?

Whats your boost gauge doing? You can usually tell if seals/bearings are going because it starts boosting unsmoothly and erratically.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol you dont need to lift a cab to swap turbos. What are "upgraded sticks (a lil above stock)"? Where did you drill a hole and see all the oil pour out of? The stack?

Whats your boost gauge doing? You can usually tell if seals/bearings are going because it starts boosting unsmoothly and erratically.

The last owner put in upgraded injectors like 40hp ones

I drilled a hole at the bottom of my exhaust pipe under the stack where it levels out and oil poured out

And i have no boost gauge

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Did it rain at all recently? Could just be sooty water?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did it rain at all recently? Could just be sooty water?
No rain in the past week and not to mention the blue smoke.

And it smelled felt like oil and i was a quart low

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Thats lousy man. For what its worth, i took my turbo and pedistal out on saturday. I had never done it before and it took me maybe 40 minutes.
Im no mechanic either

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im probally going to duke it out for a bit and save up for the GTP38R

might as well upgrade if it breaks

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Your main concern is the turbo producing a fountain of oil. Don't want it to run away or leave you stranded because you're out of oil

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your main concern is the turbo producing a fountain of oil. Don't want it to run away or leave you stranded because you're out of oil

its running though my mind everytime i turn the key.

right now i have a 5 gallon bucket of shell rotella in the back but after a good 4 hour drive i saw no drop in oil in the crankcase so its not eating much but its still a BIG problem

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
The last owner put in upgraded injectors like 40hp ones

I drilled a hole at the bottom of my exhaust pipe under the stack where it levels out and oil poured out

And i have no boost gauge
There's no such thing as '40hp injectors', fyi. So I'd be a bit weary about that one. If you've got supposedly aftermarket injectors, I'd be terribly worried about what your boosting and what your pyro looks like.

im probally going to duke it out for a bit and save up for the GTP38R

might as well upgrade if it breaks
Thats my philosophy right there.

Indeed... I'd be worried about it running away also. Check your pipes for oil; that will be a good indicator. Check the downpipe. Intercooler lines etc.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The last owner was an idiot so he was probably put something in but had no idea what went in

And luckily my intercooler and pipes are dry only the exhaust has oil in it

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
The last owner was an idiot so he was probably put something in but had no idea what went in

And luckily my intercooler and pipes are dry only the exhaust has oil in it
Waaaaaaait a minute... are you the guy who tried rebuilding his turbo himself and I told you to take it to a shop and have it done the right way?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No.

But ive rebuilt alot of hx35s just no garretts yet

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Oh ok. Some poor guy in FL tried rebuilding his garrett and he was having major problems and I informed him that since he didn't balance his turbo it's gonna grenade...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh ok. Some poor guy in FL tried rebuilding his garrett and he was having major problems and I informed him that since he didn't balance his turbo it's gonna grenade...

welcome to the forums. where you can run into any kind of people dumb or smart

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^LOL thats one way of putting it! He had a great truck and a great swamper, but he did NOT know how to rebuild a turbo.

Hows your situation coming along?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^LOL thats one way of putting it! He had a great truck and a great swamper, but he did NOT know how to rebuild a turbo.

Hows your situation coming along?

All my intake pipes are still dry and im still having a blue haze out of the exhaust but nothing too bad right now so i still have a little bit of time to get the money for the upgrade

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Good deal. Keep us posted on everything dude

1 - 20 of 25 Posts