Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the first year the 7.3 was offered in the F250?
I've seen 85's and 87's advertised with a 7.3 and just trying to figure out if it was a transplant or not.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
The 7.3 started in 1987, it was kind of a transition year. It was the first year of the 87-91 body style (I call it the "brick nose" style). Some had 6.9's and some had 7.3's in 1987.

If your looking at a 85 it should be a 6.9, though the owner could be messing up and saying its a 7.3, or it could actually be swapped over. If you look at the head bolts the 6.9's are 7/16" and the 7.3's are 1/2" for reference.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My 86 has a 7.3 from the factory. I can back that up with my parts look up system at work(Ford Dealer) that lists 7.3 for a 86, not an 85, they had 6.9.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
My 86 has a 7.3 from the factory. I can back that up with my parts look up system at work(Ford Dealer) that lists 7.3 for a 86, not an 85, they had 6.9.
What month was your truck built in? Does it have the older style grille.
I'm pretty sure just as FordGuy said that the came out with the 7.3l when they changed the front end.
Whats funny is that the ford parts system says theres a 7.3l in their part system for 86. Maybe a few 7.3ls were ordered from IH in '86 and the next year they swapped completely over.:dunno:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
But I'm not sure they switched to the 7.3 when they went to the 87-91 body style, as I have seen a couple with 6.9's in them stock. Maybe I'm wrong though, but I have seen some brick nose trucks with 6.9's from the factory.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My truck has the same front end as FordGuy100's truck. I really want to swap it to the 97 BS truck front end with a Bronco bumper with the holes in it. On the build date, I think it was 6-7-8 of 86, titled as a 86. What is funny is in the door jam it has the Ford VIN sticker and a Modification sticker where it was converted into a roll-back. The Mod sticker is dated 6 or 7 of 86 and the VIN sticker says 7 or 8 of 86 as the build date. Its 1 month after the mod sticker, so it was built as a cab/chassis, then sent to the rollback company, then back to Ford and VINed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts