Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing a fresh long block in a 2004 F250 4x4. Filled it with fluids this evening and turned the key, immediately I heard a muffled pop sound while cranking through the filter. I pulled the charge air tube at the intake elbow and spun it again. It sounds just like a tight intake valve. Fired it up, I can still hear it, a muffled pop, pop, pop, pop in the intake through the filter while running. (Only ran about 2 min)
Shut it down to try and figure out what is going on. The long block was purchased from an engine-building company with a good reputation from what I could see before I ordered it.
How could an intake valve be too tight?
I can feel the pulse in the intake air with my hand
HELP ME PLEASE, lol
Thanks
I will take an infrared heat gun tomorrow to see which cylinder(s) are colder. It does have a check engine light on. It was torn down for close to a year. All the accessories went together very nicely.
Is it possible for an injector to make a sound like that in the intake?
We are limited with electronic test equipment, maybe a dongle, lol.

Find the cool cylinder, pull the valve cover, roll the engine by hand to verify that all the intake valves have lash?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,081 Posts
Just finished installing a fresh long block in a 2004 F250 4x4. Filled it with fluids this evening and turned the key, immediately I heard a muffled pop sound while cranking through the filter. I pulled the charge air tube at the intake elbow and spun it again. It sounds just like a tight intake valve. Fired it up, I can still hear it, a muffled pop, pop, pop, pop in the intake through the filter while running. (Only ran about 2 min)
Shut it down to try and figure out what is going on. The long block was purchased from an engine-building company with a good reputation from what I could see before I ordered it.
How could an intake valve be too tight?
I can feel the pulse in the intake air with my hand
HELP ME PLEASE, lol
Thanks
I will take an infrared heat gun tomorrow to see which cylinder(s) are colder. It does have a check engine light on. It was torn down for close to a year. All the accessories went together very nicely.
Is it possible for an injector to make a sound like that in the intake?
We are limited with electronic test equipment, maybe a dongle, lol.

Find the cool cylinder, pull the valve cover, roll the engine by hand to verify that all the intake valves have lash?
Do you mind mentioning the company name?

Is there still a warranty?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mind mentioning the company name?

Is there still a warranty?
Yes, it is still under warranty (1 yr. I think, so about 10.5 months left), I just hope it doesn't have to come back out. I will hold off on posting the name of the builder. I have to figure out what the exact issue is first, is it mine or theirs, if it's theirs I have to give them the opportunity to make it right. Blowing their name all over the internet is not conducive to a productive outcome.

·
7,081 Posts
Are you going to check the compression? That would be my next step I believe.

Any codes? Maybe a cylinder contribution code could point to the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
If they resurfaced the head and recessed the valve deep without addressing the valve stem height, the lifter plunger could be bottoming on that cylinder and keeping the valve from fully closing; the others might be close. Or the exhaust doesn't fully close.

Also, most of the time, when a pushrod is bent or the rocker is broken, it's a case where the pushrod was not set into the lifter cup correctly. If that is from the exhaust side, you'll have exhaust popping back through the intake. This can also happen if a lifter's plunger leaks oil excessively, so it never fully takes up all the valve train slack.

Mine was doing that on initial startup after a long sit, but the cam base circle was too low with the 6.4L length pushrods with a Ford reman motor. The reman cam was excessive ground to reuse a damaged cam.

The first thing I would do is pull the valve covers and check for a misplaced or broken rocker arm and then excessive pushrod clearance due to a bent pushrod. That occurs due to the misplaced pushrod on builds and often corrected with replaced parts as long as a valve is not bent.

Note - Some argue that a pushrod can't get set to the side and get bent, and that may be a valid argument, never settled; it could be a hung up valve first bends the pushrod, but we are never at the point of seeing that initial situation.

If this happens to be Dynamic Diesel, you have company (not me).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to head out to the ranch this afternoon, I will try to find a "cold" cylinder with a heat gun on the exhaust manifold, trying to locate an android phone to use a dongle, i think it will do a cylinder balance test, then dig my way back into the area that is of issue and check for proper backlash or visible push tube.
I was wondering too if someone was distracted during the valve grinding, if the ground the face and not the tip, would that be enough to cause a "lack of clearance" issue?
I have heard this sound before when I ran the overhead on an 8.3 Cummins and I was off on TDC by a few degrees and had a tight intake valve.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE
After careful thought, I decided that to run the engine long enough to get it up to temp and run a cylinder balance test was not the best idea not knowing what is causing this muffled pop in the intake. I fired it and ran it for about 2 minutes to get some temperature in the exhaust manifolds. Found #5 a cold cylinder. Decided to pull the valve cover and oil log and visually inspect the rockers. It was obvious, the push tube on the #5 exhaust is not centered and as straight as the others. Remove the rocker trunnion and rockers, the exhaust rocker arm fell off the trunnion in my hand. The clip was there but the pivot ball is MIA!!!!! This was assembled by the builder w/o the rocker pivot ball. The intake valve was working as it should and the injector was spraying, it was lighting it up on compression but on the exhaust stroke, there was nowhere for it to go! It was forcing it past the rings and both valves.
Now the real question, is there damage to the rings and cylinder after about 4 min total run time?

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Probably not.

Is the pushrod straight?

·
7,081 Posts
Where did the "ball" go I wonder (edit - a somewhat rhetorical question).

Ready to divulge the builder?

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Probably down the oil drain port and into the oil pan, resting comfortably.

I don't think it was assembled without the ball, the ball came loose afterward.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
From another thread.....

Decided to go with Asheville Engines. Need to take care of the brick and mortar businesses. The majority of the money spent with them will stay in their community for several turns instead of corporate America giving it to some exec as part of their million-dollar bonus. It is tough keeping a small business going. Corporate America will end up with the money eventually, why not let the small guys have a shot at it first!
Asheville shared information with me and answered a question that nobody else has about the 6.0, Thank You!

I'm surprized.

·
7,081 Posts
The point is that it can be impacted, reduced in size, and pieces can get through the pickup screen - just like injector clips and needle bearing components ,,,,,,,

The drain plug magnet (as you know) is not as great a preventative measure as some would like to think.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I was just showing the cavity where it would go; it would be stuck in the depression, the oil plug has a threaded boss that would keep it from easily jumping to the magnet.

The ball getting smashed is usually is not the issue when a pushrod bends and the balls come out, they play pinball wizard. The pivot ball is often found in the head cavity or not at all, having gone down into the oil pan. If he said he had a bad tip or a cracked rocker, I'd be pulling the motor apart/sending it back. Not that in this situation I wouldn't be sending the motor back or at least getting a commitment if something failed in the future.

But people have found the rocker displaced and the ball missing, put a new pushrod/rocker arm in, and continued on. Again, not necessarily a newly purchased rebuilt motor. 6.0Bros broke a rocker arm after installing KDD heads - higher-rate springs and stronger pushrods - the rockers became the weakest link. A new rocker and continued on. Not what I would have done ....

Bucky needs to do a very good inspection and talk to Ashville; determine where to go from here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From another thread.....

I'm surprized.
This is not cool for you to guess from a post 2 months ago that the name you blasted online actually built the engine, do you know this for fact?
It is not for you to blast someone's business name when you do not know the facts!
Why would you do such a thing?
Did I ever post saying that I took possession of an engine from them? Yes, I did talk to them as the post stated, and probably 5 other builders too. You have ABSOLUTELY no idea what happened after that post and it is not my job to make sure you are informed! Your post is purely speculation on your part and not very classy. Why would you want to cause problems to someone that you are guessing about at best and why do you feel it is your business to step up in my business?
Do you want all the names so you can blast about more of my business that you know nothing about!
Is there anything else in my life that you feel you need to get involved in?
I'm pretty sure I can handle it without your help!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Chill dude. You are the one who declared, "Decided to go with Asheville Engines" with a long explanation of your reasoning following another post mentioning you were looking at other engine builders. Your words, no guess. You left the post intact without editing or follow-up stating you did not; anyone who was curious would have searched and found your post.

Without the temper tantrum, you could have just said that "in the end, that's not where I got the engine from," and I would have deleted the reference in my post and added an image of Emily Litella saying, "Never Mind" as I've done in the past with double posts or other things.

But going freaking nuclear makes me wonder why you did so? So at this point, I'm not sure you still did not get it from them.

·
Registered
710 Posts
They have a good reputation around here so the fact that he mentioned it was them isn't going to hurt them as much here. He didn't "blast" them. Just allowing all information to be assessed. Many less reputable builders than them have reoccurring failures of certain pieces so knowing who built it is actually some relative info. Get your panties out of a bunch and let's get your truck running so you can enjoy it.

Reactions: Yahiko

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Every business is going to have issues that pop up. The way they handle it, and both Ashville and KDD have handled themselves exceptionally well, is what tells the real story. I would not have an issue with Ashville, buying from them, or recommending them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They have a good reputation around here so the fact that he mentioned it was them isn't going to hurt them as much here. He didn't "blast" them. Just allowing all information to be assessed. Many less reputable builders than them have reoccurring failures of certain pieces so knowing who built it is actually some relative info. Get your panties out of a bunch and let's get your truck running so you can enjoy it.
It wasn't up to him to guess and spread rumors.
If I was the company he mentioned, I would not appreciate his speculation.
After I contact the builder and give them a chance to analyze the situation, then it would be my choice whether or not I chose to state who it is. Doesn't that sound like the proper way to address this? It isn't the end of the world, crap happens.
I have parts in hand and it will be running this afternoon.
This was just a temporary setback.
The best service manager I ever had saying, "people that never F____ up arent working."

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Bucky, it wasn't a guess, it wasn't speculation - you posted in your thread you bought it from Ashville.

Speculation would be maybe you were trying to get money back, threatening to go public, and are now pi**ed off because you can't use the threat. That would be speculation on my part if I wrote something like that.

But you stated in a post: it was bought from Ashville after deliberation of different venues. That ain't speculation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts