Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dealer says that you can put on Firestones along with a B&W Turnaround ball. If anyone has done this I would sure appreciate hearing from you. I did go ahead and order them, but am still very curious to see how they will mount up. Are there any tricks to putting them on?

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
I am interested in this too, i want to do a set up on my truck, but i thought we had to find a brand that did them between the frame rail and the axle housing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I used the Airlift kit that mounted outside the frame. The bags were real close to my tires. When I went with my larger tires, I had to take the airbags off. I just use Timbrens now. With your SRW trucks, you should be fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the bags on and they seem to fit in very nicely. Yes they mount on the inside of the frame and down to your axle housing. The upper bracket mounts throught the same 3/4" hole that you use with your B&W plate. They are Firestone Ride Rite double convoluted bags and are good up to 5000 lbs. Another thing I was worried about was the 5" pipe, but it has a good inch and a half of space between the pipe and the heat shield.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So, How are they? Do they make it ride any different? Or do they just help with the load weight?

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, How are they? Do they make it ride any different? Or do they just help with the load weight?
I haven't rode around a bunch and haven't got the gooseneck trailer hooked on yet, but driving around the country it didn't seem to stiffen it up as much as some people on this forum had suggested. I'll let you know after I pull the flatbed with a load of chemicals how she rides. It did bring the back end up about an 1 1/2" w/ around 15psi and about 3 1/2 " when you have it juiced to 85 psi that, of course, is unloaded. I'll try to take some picks tom. when the snow quits falling.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice, Thanks for the update.... Keep us informed, please. Is there a minimum amount of pressure you are supposed to keep in them? So in other words, does it raise the ride hight in the rear normally? I dont like when they ride like a stinkbug.... I had to lower the rear of my 2wd f250 about 4 inches so it would ride level. (Idont tow anything heavy with it...)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I used the Airlift kit that mounted outside the frame. The bags were real close to my tires. When I went with my larger tires, I had to take the airbags off. I just use Timbrens now. With your SRW trucks, you should be fine.
i had the same kit and the top mount on the passenger side broke and the bag pushed the mount into the box inside the fenderwell . that kit is a real piece of crap

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before the Air Bags were installed

After Pic

B&W w/ Firestone Air Bag

Another

Exhaust side

Shot from the back

Pic of the kit installed

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Pumpnlead

those the firestone bags????

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm interested to see it with a load. My jeep sagged my truck pretty bad this weekend :(

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've been considering the Firestone Ride-Rite air bags. I was concerned about clearance with my 4" exhaust. Considering that you (Pumpinlead) have a 5" exhaust and still have plenty of clearance, I guess I'll go ahead and put the Ride-Rite's on. Mine being a dually shouldn't make a difference, since DRW and SRW should have the same clearances inside the frame. Thanks for the info.
BTW, Air-Lift does not recommend their kits for DRWs because they don't leave enough clearance between the air bag and the tire. Their kits only mount outside the frame. The only kit that I could find that was made for DRW was the Firestone kit.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I have Firestone Airbags on both of my trucks, the Dodge and the Ford and love them on both trucks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm interested to see it with a load. My jeep sagged my truck pretty bad this weekend :(
I will put up pics when I get a chance. I know you will be happy with them if you are just pulling a jeep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts