Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to order a set of Firestone Air Bags for my

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4wd, no in bed hitch

don't want the compressor option, don't mind airing up and down as needed with my shop air

Can I install the one meant to work with in bed hitches? Is the installation harder? Don't want to screw myself down the road if I ever want to get an in bed hitch installed.

thanks? Any help with installation of these kits would be great and if you remember which part number you went with. Looks like I can get

2550 - no drill for use with in bed hitch
2484 - no drill with NO in bed hitch

·
Registered
61 Posts
air bags

:D:DI used the 2400(ones for bed hitch) they were easy to install. Didnt have to drill any holes. FWIW I have the compressor & dual gauge kit also. That compressor has come in handy to fill tires when low(boat trailer, bicycles etc)

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Might as well throw some Nathan train horns on there too :) here's my set up, sure is nice having air on demand!

Sent from iPhone

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the 2550 is for use with an in bed hitch, no drill too.

Thats the one I am going to order.

I just don't have the funding right now to splurg on the compressor, I figure I can always add that down the road if I feel I really need it and I have the extra money.

Just want to get these installed before winter so I can load her up with the sled deck. No more droppy rear end. Getting sick of people flashing their brights at me when I have two sleds up on the deck and a bed full of gas/gear.

·
Registered
61 Posts
MTS I have the train horn kit on mine also :taze:, they are awesome. Ill have to take some pics of the install, came out sweet. Put the compressor in bed fashioned a shroud for it to keep the weather off. & mounted the horns on the frame rails.Got em at train horns of texas..

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm putting airbags on my F-250 in the spring. Going to put the big sway bars on too.

I also really like the idea of the onboard air compressor & dual controls. :icon_ford:

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
MTS I have the train horn kit on mine also :taze:, they are awesome. Ill have to take some pics of the install, came out sweet. Put the compressor in bed fashioned a shroud for it to keep the weather off. & mounted the horns on the frame rails.Got em at train horns of texas..
Sweet sounds good! Yeah man I'd love to see it, sorry for the hijack OP!

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ordered the 2550 kit today, got the Y-adapter too

319.57 out the door, no sales tax or shipping charge!!

I already have the jump pack, invertor, compressor all in one tool from northern. I can use that to air up the bags in a bind. It can supply 80 psi of air

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm midways on my airbag install. Only had them for about 5 years now sitting in the garage. I'm doing the dual control guage set up, one for front bags, the other for rear bags. I mounted a small tank under the vehicle and hope it is large enough for the air horns. Have a larger tank just in case the small one is too small. What is the smallest tank anyone is running with horns?

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
installed the air bags.............................horrible install!!!!!

Poor design on the lower bracket. It did not fit, I had to cut the lower bracket to not interfere with the shock mount and not to rub on the brake line!

took me 5 hours hunched under the truck!

oh well they are installed and work good

·
Registered
19 Posts
2550 airbags not fitting F250 superduty

I am having the same problem I contacted Ride Rite Tech support and they told me they never had a problem with them fitting. I had to send them pictures and they still did not believe it. They told me they would send it to engineering and see what they say. What did you cut? My brake lines and shock mounts are in the way. I just do not want to go cutting without knowing what to cut and if it will make them unsafe.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here is a picture of the small notch I had to cut on both sides for the driver side.

The passenger side i only had to cut a notch for the shock bracket because there was interference with the brake line.

sorry the pic is rotated the wrong way

I should email firestone on what I had to do to make their "no drill no cut" kit work, lol!!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
P.S. - notice how I took some fuel line hose and put it around the u-bolt hanger to make sure that there would be no metal on metal rubbing with the brake line.

Overall - I give their kit a 1 out of 10. I literally almost didn't install it but then I didn't want to go thru the whole return business and wait three weeks. It was warm out and I had the time to do it then.

I wonder what there drilling required kit is like, lol. Probably have to cut and weld the frame and shock bolts.

·
Administrator
30,450 Posts
I never suggest the inboard bags , I like the outboard mount , better sway prevention and the inboards get in the way of lots of aftermarket items .
the outboard is a 2 hour install ,, I think they have the outboard for in bed hitches also IIRC

what y adapter did u buy ? ideally you don't want the bags tied together for sway reasons .

and being in cold country did the directions suggest some anti freeze ?

things to remember always leave 5 psi in the bag( the Airlift wireless will maintain this ) and unhook the bag if your lifting the chassis but not axle very high (you don't want the bag to lift the axle)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see you use different holes in the bracket then my kit tells me to use. I have to use the top holes which brings the two brackets very close together. Do you have a 4X4? I have a 2x4. Is this something you did on your own or do you have a 4 wheel drive truck?

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mines 4x4, so I have the weird bump stop thing on top of the axle.

2 wheel drive you are suppose to make it so the brackets are as close together as possible, this will give the bag maximum extension.

4x4 brackets need to seperated enough to clear the axle bump stop and allow access to the lower bag bolt.

personally I don't see why they make that lower bracket one piece specific for each vehicle, less headache when installing.

like I said, the engineering on the kit was horrible in my mind. They are trying to make a kit that is one size fits all

·
Registered
680 Posts
I never suggest the inboard bags , I like the outboard mount , better sway prevention and the inboards get in the way of lots of aftermarket items .
the outboard is a 2 hour install ,, I think they have the outboard for in bed hitches also
I agree and it is what I have and I have a 5th wheel hitch. They mount solidly on top of your spring pack instead of that crappy design over bumpstop blocks.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dang it!!

oh well, why didn't you guys speak up sooner when I was ordering, lol

they are installed and done, maybe on the next truck right?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I installed the 2550 ride rite in my 2004 F350 DRW with no issues. I have a B&W hidden hitch...installed spot on with no alterations of anything. While at it, I installed the compressor cleanly/neatly in the engine compartment and ran the lines to the cab for the controls and then to the shocks. LOVE THEM!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts