Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I've been on the forum. Finally had some down time and put some new parts on the truck. This is my 2012 f450 pick up I ended up taking the stock bed off And putting a aluminum bed on. Made a lot of sense for me I work this truck a bit, tow a ton and spend alittle time offroad. the stock bed was stressing me out scratching it! Gives a lot better visibility,lighterthen stock and I don't have to worry about brush running down the fenders and scratching the sh*t out the fenders! I'm really happy with the quality of the bed fit- finish install wasn't to bad. I installed a new back up camera that was pain didn't want to cut anything so i did via new harnesses and camera. I'm also fabricating aluminum mount for the sensors should be on tomorrow along with a few more clear LEDs.
Bed looks a little short but it measure 9' I guess it's the lines!

I did the icon 4.5 stage 3 lift with the steering stabilizer kit. 2.5'S all the way around with the 2.0's on the stabilizers.this setup rides like a dream I love it!its little nose high for me but like i said this truck works!
for the wheels is did the American force fusion 22.5's . I do not notice a significant power drop and they ride great I'm sure the icon kit has a lot to do with it. The tires are 36" speedos off that sucks hopefully I can find a programmer to fix that.With the 4.30 rear end the new tire put me right were I want to be with rpms on the freeway. I'm think there will be a substantial mpg gain in the 65-75 mph range.

Just thought I'd share!
Overall I'm real happy with the truck alittle more bling then i usually like but it's grown on me!what do you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Truck looks great man!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice set up :thumb:

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
just made our f450 look like crap. im ashamed lol. I should have bought the pickup and did what u did with the aluminum bed. Ours has plastic fenders that are textured and not painted. it looks like crap lol
here is mine

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice rig Travis. Thank you for the complimants.Are you in construction? I'll get some pics one of these days with some of my equipment behind her. I did a lot of research on the 450 pick up vs ordering the cab and chassis. My situation the pickup specs worked out better for what I do but ended up costing me ALOT more. And now I have abed to sale....

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Great Looking truck! Hopefully you don't have as many problems with the tool boxes below the bed line as I did with my old work truck. The hinges were always full of road grit and that killed them in the end. Once again Great looking truck

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Nice rig Travis. Thank you for the complimants.Are you in construction? I'll get some pics one of these days with some of my equipment behind her. I did a lot of research on the 450 pick up vs ordering the cab and chassis. My situation the pickup specs worked out better for what I do but ended up costing me ALOT more. And now I have abed to sale....
Yes we are in the construction business. I have almost 70k in that truck and just couldn't afford to get the pickup and tear it apart. The aluminum flat bed and snow plow were more expensive and killed the deal on the pick up. I wanted the 400/800 flash of the pickup and the regular turbo. This thing tows nice but it would be nice if it had 100 more hp of the pick up. Plus I wouldn't have the ugly black fenders. Haven't found any way to get rid of them or buy different ones.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was the big thing for me was having the 400/800. I tow a 7ton mini ex and a 10000lb skid steer on a regular basis most of the time one of them is behind it. The dealer wanted to spec a cab and chassis with the 4.80 rear end to compensate for the decrease in power but I couldn't afford to drive it with that rear end lol I have close to 90k in the truck the way it sits seems ridiculous but I'm real happy with its been great so far. The verdict is still out on the aluminum bed its my first I hope it holds up!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
That was the big thing for me was having the 400/800. I tow a 7ton mini ex and a 10000lb skid steer on a regular basis most of the time one of them is behind it. The dealer wanted to spec a cab and chassis with the 4.80 rear end to compensate for the decrease in power but I couldn't afford to drive it with that rear end lol I have close to 90k in the truck the way it sits seems ridiculous but I'm real happy with its been great so far. The verdict is still out on the aluminum bed its my first I hope it holds up!
Wow, yea this is our tow rig too. It has 4.30 rear end and either has our mini ex or bobcat behind it. The dealer was wanting us to get the 4.88 and with the way my dad drives on the highway, it would be sky high rpms. The 4.30 still tows like a monster but the new tranny is awesome too. If we would have gotten the pick up I would have tuned and deleted it already but the cab and chassis are the ones with the turbo issues so I have been scared to do it. It has about 6k miles on it and no issues thus far. I deleted my 2010 at 19k and now have 29k on it and it should have gotten deleted a long time ago. And same here on the aluminum bed. We snow plow and salting kills our steel dump truck bed. So we got talked into the aluminum bed. It's a protech brand along with the tool boxes. The reason it's so ugly with the the big rack on it is because it was their show model, they took it to the shows so it was a year old and were willing to deal on it. The aluminum bed are expensive. But the way they were talking is that if we ever get a new truck that there is no need to buy a new bed, ya transfer the aluminum bed to the new truck because it will last many years. We would have rather had one like yours with tool boxes on the side and then be able to buy a goose neck. The weight we are pulling is almost too much for bumper pulling. The bobcat isn't bad but the mini ex is a lot heavier

1 - 17 of 17 Posts