Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after a few questions answered by marc, i went down and had my fuel filters changed. man were they filthy. Both were almost black. i couldnt believe how much better it runs and drives now. smoother acceleration, faster pickup. just like new!!!!! i had no clue that these filters affected the performance so much. thanks marc. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah, i decided to just take it to ford, they had a special going on that saved me like 60 bucks off their normal service. ill do it next time, i just didnt want to hassle with it since my dad and stepmom are coming in from Oregon in a while. but thanks for snickering at the thought of me getting diesel all over!!!!:D

·
Super Moderator
13,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nothin like the smell of good ol diesel. i looked at the old filters and man, i almost couldnt keep my nose out of the box!!! LOL, i love the smell of fuel. kinda reminds me of JP-8 jet fuel, it smells real good burnt and unburnt. the fliters were nasty, the small one was starting to twist, the pleats werent straight up and down anymore, not sure why that was going on but they definately needed swapped out.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
haha, hey buddy i been there and done that............but man does it smell good
Yeah - especially getting drenched at 6:30 in the morning, from head to toe, working offshore, and 12 hours away from being able to get to a shower! Very memorable!
:D
Wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis, though.

·
im fat and ugly
15,689 Posts
Yeah - especially getting drenched at 6:30 in the morning, from head to toe, working offshore, and 12 hours away from being able to get to a shower! Very memorable!
:D
Wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis, though.
yeah ill pass on that one

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
mine purrrs like a kitten now, mine were changed along with the oil change a week ago, i had a coupon for $145 for both oil & Fuel filters, not bad to me anyways.....LOL

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just bought new fuel filters yesterday and am going to change them out as soon as I get a chance...any suggestions or pointers on how to NOT get covered in diesel??

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Yeah. Let someone else do it! LOL J/K

2,083 Posts
lets it sit overnight and take the pressure off by opening your fuel cap.

I unscrew a little at a time and allow fuel to run into my oil catch. After a while there is just a small amount of fuel in the cap.

The first time I ever did one I was drenched in Diesel.....I LOVED IT

·
Banned
0 Posts
I just bought new fuel filters yesterday and am going to change them out as soon as I get a chance...any suggestions or pointers on how to NOT get covered in diesel??
is yours a 6.0 or 7.3? 7.3's are pretty strait foreward...but there is a drain plug on the lower housing on the 6.0's that if you drain it first makes it a lot cleaner...

·
Registered
107 Posts
6.0 yep, I was planning on taking that drain plug out first.... sounds like a good idea to leave the cap off overnight as well. Thanks

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
nothin like the smell of good ol diesel. i looked at the old filters and man, i almost couldnt keep my nose out of the box!!! LOL, i love the smell of fuel. kinda reminds me of JP-8 jet fuel, it smells real good burnt and unburnt. the fliters were nasty, the small one was starting to twist, the pleats werent straight up and down anymore, not sure why that was going on but they definately needed swapped out.

OOoh now way! Diesel smells good but JP8 gets old real fast except for when its burning...I love the smell of jet fuel burning. We call raw JP8 "scent of airman" cuz rooky airmen are always covered in it from fueling or taking samples...lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
Manual Suggest to change the filters every other oil change.
And I believe they suggest the oil changes at 7500 miles if they where "easy" miles
I change my oil every 4k and fuel filter every 8k

·
Registered
412 Posts
Don't leave your fuel cap off........... something might find its way in.
For the one under the frame rail just drain the water separator prior to replacing the filter. The one under the hood is a piece of cake, you'll be done before you know it. How much does the dealer charge for fuel filter service anyway!?

·
COLLEGE KID
3,226 Posts
uhhh.. go to walmart snd get oil and stuff (50$) and fuel filter is like 30 or 35$ and do it yourself, save alot of money. spend your savings on beer. I just changed my Fuel filter on my 97 7.3. it took 2 seconds, is it supposed to be that easy? i just took the old one out and dropped the new one in.

·
Super Moderator
13,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OOoh now way! Diesel smells good but JP8 gets old real fast except for when its burning...I love the smell of jet fuel burning. We call raw JP8 "scent of airman" cuz rooky airmen are always covered in it from fueling or taking samples...lol

LOL, i remember when i was crewing the F-16's, refueling, then defueling, man i have spent many hours with the smell of JP-8 and JP-8+100. whew, my BDU's would stink!!! i am out now, and i miss it. that must sound crazy but i do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts