Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed my filtration system from the plans that are on Frybirds web site. I think this is the basic design that CHenry uses also. I can not get the pump to pick up the oil. I have primed the pump with oil, then I tried water. It will clear the line if I lift the suction line (thats full of oil) high over my head but once I put it back into the oil it stops. The pump I purchased is from Northern Tool and I got the part number from one of the posts here. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the pump back to Northern Tool and got a new one. I primed it and it works like a charm. I now have a static problem. If you touch the tubing while the pump is running you will get shocked. Should I be concerned about this? I made sure the pump is properly grounded. Thanks

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Sounds like a concern to me... not sure how to fix it though, but would be nice to know since I've ordered the same pump...

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I have the pump from Harbor Freight which I believe is the same one and haven't had any issues:dunno:.
The HF pump looks the same and maybe very similar but it is not the same pump. The NT pump is rated for higher flow. Niether are self priming though.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I had both the HF and the NT tools pumps and the NT pump is better. They are the same size motor but its the impeller size thats different. The NT is better construction and worth the extra $10 or whatever it is. The HF is a white cast metal, where the NT is actually cast iron.

Sometimes the priming and/or pumping issue is the hole thats cast inside the pump that feeds the impeller is too small or has casting remains it and blocks the flow. I took a dremel tool and ported it out a little and it pumps like mad now.

A word to the wise the pumps are also a bitty to prime if the outlet for the pump isnt pointing straight up. The impeller will never evacuate the air.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I took the pump back to Northern Tool and got a new one. I primed it and it works like a charm. I now have a static problem. If you touch the tubing while the pump is running you will get shocked. Should I be concerned about this? I made sure the pump is properly grounded. Thanks
Its not static you have an electrical prob there would look into fixing it. Not too much an issue if you are just pumping WVO, but dont dare get meth near if it you are going to make bio till you work out whats wrong.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not static you have an electrical prob there would look into fixing it. Not too much an issue if you are just pumping WVO, but dont dare get meth near if it you are going to make bio till you work out whats wrong.
I am only pumping WVO. You think it is electrical? The pump was easy to hook up ans I made sure it was grounded. What else could it be? When the pump is pushing oil you can hear the tubing cracking and if you touch it..Pop!

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I am only pumping WVO. You think it is electrical? The pump was easy to hook up ans I made sure it was grounded. What else could it be? When the pump is pushing oil you can hear the tubing cracking and if you touch it..Pop!
You may have an internat voltage leak on the pump!
I would return it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.