Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I'm at the point I am starting to gather all of my hardware for my filtration setup for WVO. Clay has pointed me in the direction of this filter setup right here:

Filter-Bag Housings

Now if I have to I will spend the money to get this setup, however... after looking this over with my buddy, we're wondering what is so special about this aluminum tube that they are getting $330 for it. Can someone please explain to me what is so special about this? I really have no experience with a filter setup like this, so I'm really just unsure. I think I may try to make my own. Essentially all this is, is a housing with a quick release lid to change the bag filters correct? Also it states in the description: Aluminum housings have a Type 304 stainless steel basket with 9/64" diameter perforations. Now does stainless react with the WVO like regular steel does, or is it much more resilient? Should I make this part out of aluminum if I can?

We have access to a MAJOR machine shop and unlimited materials. I would like to make this myself. So far I haven't spent $1 on my filtration setup, and I would like to continue this. I want to make it clear I have no problem spending the money if I have to. However I believe we are fully capable of making this ourselves. Could someone perhaps post some pics of the inside of theirs and maybe explain what makes the cost of this setup so expensive? Any info you guys could relay would be much appreciated. Thanks,

-Mdub-

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Its aluminum, machined and quality all the way. Thats the only reason it cost that much.
There is a plastic one for 100 bucks less money that I could turn you onto but it has special sized bags that i have only found at McMasters. It works the same but has a screw on lid and the lid is hard to get off once a little sticky WVO goo gets in the threads.
I used the plastic one for 2 years before selling it and getting the aluminum one.
If you can make one, the only thing you need to do is get a trade 4 filter bag and be sure to size the neck top so that the Ring in the top of the bag fits snug so oil won't by-pass the bag.
SS will work fine with WVO, no reaction at all.
I can take some pics inside if you want.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd rather have the aluminum than the plastic one. We have the capabilities and the material to make this, we just have never seen one in person in hand, so we really dont know what to make from that picture. If you could get me some pics from the inside that would be AWESOME! Much appreciated!

Also where do you get your filters from? I'll order some up right now so we can have it in hand to get correct sizes. Or if you could even get some dimensions for the critical stuff for me, like where the filter makes the seal, that would be awesome too.

Thanks a ton Clay! I think I owe you some beers...

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I'd rather have the aluminum than the plastic one. We have the capabilities and the material to make this, we just have never seen one in person in hand, so we really dont know what to make from that picture. If you could get me some pics from the inside that would be AWESOME! Much appreciated!

Also where do you get your filters from? I'll order some up right now so we can have it in hand to get correct sizes. Or if you could even get some dimensions for the critical stuff for me, like where the filter makes the seal, that would be awesome too.

Thanks a ton Clay! I think I owe you some beers...
you have no idea....:hehe:
I'll try and remember to do it tonight...luckily i just changed the filter Monday and its still dry and clean so i can take it out without a mess.
Its very simple actually, a hollow tube with a lip on the top for the bag ring to seal against and another lip to hold the bag holder from dropping to the bottom. Then an inlet above the lip which is 3/4" NPT and an outlet of the same thread size towards the bottom. The lid has a threaded hole to screw in a 3/8" (i think) pressure guage. oh, and a grove cut in the top to seal the lid when its tightened. I can't get you measurements on the bag ring - i don't have the capability to measure it acurately and chances are you will need to cut the ring out to measure it accurately. If i had a set of mics, i could get an inside dia. measurement but i do not. I will see what a tape measure reads.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahhh thats ok the measurements aren't that important. It'll be all custom made anyways. I'll just pick up the filters and build it based off of them. Now where do I get these filters from?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
any place that sells filters should have Trade Size 4 bag filters.
Open the yellow pages. I looked in the phone book under "Filters Liquid" and found 8 listings of places that sell them.
McMasters also has them for 3.80 each you can search there for "trade size 4 filter bags" and you will find them.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I've seen a few built out of pvc pipe. Seemed pretty simple, I'll see if I can find them.

Clay, does yours have a basket in it?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
that's what I was worried about, I'm going to build one, but it's kind of tough to build a basket that will fit correctly. I priced them, and they're around $70.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The actual model mumber for the filter housing clay suggests in his write up (6870K57) takes a Trade 3 bag. Clay's longer model that he has in his pics is a different number that above and takes a trade 4 bag. I just got through ordering, receiving and then reordering the correct filter bags. Hope this helps someone.
Bob Gieser

·
Registered
26 Posts
How often do you change the filter bags. How many batches?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
How often do you change the filter bags. How many batches?
That will depend entirlely on the quality of the oil you get and the amount of settling time you give it, i have tryed rushing a batch and settled it only a short time and that batch dirtied up a new filter and i had to change it. But when i am settling it longer, i usually get over 400 gallons through one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you're in a bind for cash and cant swing one of those nice canisters then you can try what I do....

Get one or 2 of these from McMaster: 98295K25. It will be screwed to the 2" MPT reducer right under the bucket lid.

Then get one of these from mcmaster or local hw store: 4880K359

Drill a 2" hole into the lid of a 5gal bucket. Drill a hole iin the bottom to accept a 1.5" sink drain(comes with rubber gasket)

using the 7" dia filters from mcmaster 6835K12

Cut the top part of 2 more 5gal buckets and stack them into the first whole bucket. This allows you to properly hang the filter bag in the bucket. silicone each bucket or screw them together w sheet metal screws. Dont worry as the oil inside drains way faster than the filter can let it into the base of the bucket...

You thread a barbed adapter into the adapter that is in the bucket lid and clamp your hose to it. if the filter fills up it will not spill now.

position the bucket over the 2" bung of your clean barrel. your done.

I do this from my collection barrel to the heating barrel, then from the heating barrel to the 'clean barrel'. 25micron, 5micron respectively.

from there it gets pumped out the 'clean' barrel through 2 remote amsoil bypass filters - 2micron @98.7%eff filters

I'll post pics soon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to make one either out of a solid chunk of billet round stock, or stainless steel tubing, haven't really decided yet. I think I'm going to use the stainless round stock tubing, should be easier.:thumb:

I will definitely get pics up of progress and final product. I'm pretty excited about this.

The thing that kills me the most is spending the $3K on the vegistroke. I think I could probably make most of that if I had one on hand to look at... oh well, money well spent there anyways.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I'm going to make one either out of a solid chunk of billet round stock, or stainless steel tubing, haven't really decided yet. I think I'm going to use the stainless round stock tubing, should be easier.:thumb:

I will definitely get pics up of progress and final product. I'm pretty excited about this.

The thing that kills me the most is spending the $3K on the vegistroke. I think I could probably make most of that if I had one on hand to look at... oh well, money well spent there anyways.
When you get it and see the quality, you won't be disappointed and you will be glad you didn't try to make one. :nod:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.