Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if there is already a thread, but I can't find it. I will be in the market for a camper when I get home from my deployment. I would love to get a fifth wheel camper and convert it to GN as I already have the B&W turnover on my truck. My question is with a SB work? I've heard before that a 5er with a SB will break out the back window, but I've also heard otherwise. Anyone have a good answer for me?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am towing a 36 ft Cameo with my CC SWB F350, I have a Sliding hitch but it is seldom that I have to slide it back. It tows it great with no clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Be careful, with a SB you might have some clearance issues!!

Tom

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Also the design of the trailer makes a difference, some trailers sit a little farther from the cab when hooked up and some are designed with more clearance at the front corners which will help.

And there are several types of sliding hitches that will slide the trailer back when making turns if you decide not to convert to GN.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i too have a 2011 ccsb and tow a 33 ft 5er i have a curt sliding hitch and dont need too slide but this will also depend on whyat pin box is on your 5er.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I've had an 03 CCSB since it was new and will be changing out the manual sliding hitch for the SuperGlide auto slider. Last June while traveling through Utah, stopping in to get fuel and was cut off by a little truck.

When I swerved to miss him, the corner of the trailer smashed into my cab. It dented it pretty good. I too had rarely needed to get out and slide the hitch back, but after that incident and a few other close calls, it's not worth the headache any more.

This is just my 2 cents worth, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm buying a 32 foot 5er from a guy with a 2006 CCSB and he has the slider in it. He says that when he is moving it around he runs it closer and has never had any issues. He does slide it back when he hits the road.

It sounds like it is totally doable.

I bought a LB, but only because it was the best truck for the right price. I would have bought the SB too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have always pulled with a SB, never had any issues with clearence, but plan ahead as much as possible. As for the conversion, I did it on my last two 5'er's and never had a problem. But with the new trailer, the guy gave me a hitch so I didn't need to. If you do the conversion, make sure that everything is either tightened down good every trip or have it welded into place. If the trailer still has warranty, the conversion may void it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts