Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and like the helpful info posted here. I just purchased a fifth wheel RV (11,500lbs dry weight) and am awaiting delivery. I was wondering if I need to add supersprings or airbags before I start towing it. I am not sure about the tongue weight, but was told to expect 20% of the overall trailer weight as a good estimate (that makes about 2300lbs). I have a 2006 F250 Super Duty PSD. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!

Mitch

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I dunno the answer to that. My guess would be you might want to look into some air bags. But here is a :bump: for ya.

BTW, :ORG welcome:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
YES. Your tongue weight will be about 2200lbs, I am assuming it ia a high profile(Slide in Bedroom). Allot of folks use air bags just to keep it level, On a 3/4 ton I would highly recommend using them.
If your dry is 11,500 You must have a triple or quad slide.
What did you buy?

Good luck. When you buy the Bags, Get an onboard compressor, Saves allot of time.:thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bryan. Yes, you're right... I bought a Big Country fifth wheel with three slides. It is around 13 feet tall with tandem axles. I also had a custom side load motorcycle carrier built on the back. That adds about 600 pounds to the rear (a little counterweight).

Which do you think is better,... bags or supersprings (spring helpers)?

YES. Your tongue weight will be about 2200lbs, I am assuming it ia a high profile(Slide in Bedroom). Allot of folks use air bags just to keep it level, On a 3/4 ton I would highly recommend using them.
If your dry is 11,500 You must have a triple or quad slide.
What did you buy?

Good luck. When you buy the Bags, Get an onboard compressor, Saves allot of time.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Thanks Bryan. Yes, you're right... I bought a Big Country fifth wheel with three slides. It is around 13 feet tall with tandem axles. I also had a custom side load motorcycle carrier built on the back. That adds about 600 pounds to the rear (a little counterweight).

Which do you think is better,... bags or supersprings (spring helpers)?
Bags, If you drive the truck allot w/o the trailer. Spring if you drive the truck trailer loaded all the time.
I would get bags w/ an on-board compressor. Firestone is a great brand.:thumb:

If you are picking up the trailer soon. It is not a must to get the bags installed. But do it soon.It will keep you nice and level. Also if your trips are going to be long and hilly. I would look into some 4in exhaust. Once again, Not a must, But it will help you keep your EGT's (exhaust gas temp) down on those hard pulls.:thumb: And save that turbo.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
+1 for bags .....and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
if you have factory overload springs you will be fine as my 5th wheel weighs real close to the same weight as yuors does and it sits perfect. but if yuo dont have factory overloads you might want to look in to some extra support. airbags are very cool but they will cost you more than an overload spring set-up

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
if you have factory overload springs you will be fine as my 5th wheel weighs real close to the same weight as yuors does and it sits perfect. but if yuo dont have factory overloads you might want to look in to some extra support. airbags are very cool but they will cost you more than an overload spring set-up
An F-250 costs more than an F150:dunno: There is a reason. Yes you will be FINE w/o anything.
If you want to pull level and not sag. Get some support.EVERY single High profile FW will put a 3/4 ton down at least 3in. :nod:
It's knida like buying a boat. Yes a 3.0L 4cyl will do fine, But a 4.3L V6 will do a heck of allot better.

Good luck hoss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. You just clarified what I already presumed. Also, my wife will love the part about needing a bigger exhaust..(not really). I've been wanting to add a 4 inch turbo back, but didn't want to spend the money yet. Just put in a custom tuner and 3 gauge pod. Gotta let that settle with the wife before a $600 exhaust. Speaking of EGTs,... what is my 'Do Not Exceed' temp? In other words, what temp should I stay below?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Welcome to the ORG!!! I stay below 1250 when I'm towing my 12k lb 5er and I have Firestone RideRite airbags. They are awesome! The only thing I regret is not going with the onboard air compressor... I'll be fixing that shortly! Oh and we have several vendors here that sell exhaust systems. Gus at FarmBoy's Diesel sells a 4" budget kit that is much cheaper than $600. There's also Raul @ Stealth Automotive, Kyle @ XDP, Dusty's Diesel, and the list goes on... LINK

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
I have load assist air bags on my 2007, love them.
I especially needed them since I lowered the rear of the truck to get rid of some of the rake it had stock and I tow and haul heavy. I've had 3000lbs in the bed plenty of times with the truck staying level with the bags aired up.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have load assist air bags on my 2007, love them.
I especially needed them since I lowered the rear of the truck to get rid of some of the rake it had stock and I tow and haul heavy. I've had 3000lbs in the bed plenty of times with the truck staying level with the bags aired up.

Nice and level:thumb:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Thanks guys. You just clarified what I already presumed. Also, my wife will love the part about needing a bigger exhaust..(not really). I've been wanting to add a 4 inch turbo back, but didn't want to spend the money yet. Just put in a custom tuner and 3 gauge pod. Gotta let that settle with the wife before a $600 exhaust. Speaking of EGTs,... what is my 'Do Not Exceed' temp? In other words, what temp should I stay below?
I don't have a prymo, But I would assume 1200-1300 would be tops.

On the exhaust. I saw Farmboy had some 409ss systems for about 350.00 or so. And ask a close member to give you a hand so you can save a few bucks, And get to know your truck some.
That's if you become a Prem Member:nod:

Good Luck buddy. It's sounds like you are on the right track.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I vote for the airbags we have them they rule. The gauge is hooked thru the compressor and tank we have for our train horns. Go with the bags for sure!

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Welcome to the ORG, DC. Glad you found your way over here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts